Feathers

Lanning Reveals Truth About Game Preparation

Lanning Comment

Our head coach does something different from what I have heard before in the typical “coach-speak” responses to questions from the media.  Usually, when asked about looking ahead, coaches make some comment to the effect that they are focused only on the next game.

During yesterday’s post-game interview, in regard to this coming Saturday’s rivalry game, “James” asked: “I think you even referenced this summer during one of the alumni gatherings that you have a preformed understanding of this upcoming game.  This is your first installment and the first installment for the coaches of Oregon as well.  Do you intend . . . what is the next 24 hours in terms of setting the tone for this week under you in this era, and what will that look like?

Lanning answered: “That preparation has really already started.  Before you get to this week, during the bye week, we’ve really taken our time, and throughout the bye-week and said, OK, what do we want this week to look like as we enter this last stretch of the season.  We don’t make it a different game than it is, but at the same time, this is an expectation.  This is an important game for us.  We want to go win the game, but you do that with work.  So, we’re going to go work.  That’s what we’re going to do.  Do you change your routine?  Not necessarily.  You’ll do some things potentially different, but you don’t change what got you here, too.”

Dan Lanning is not fearful of speaking truth about what everyone knows to be fact.  Coaching staffs plan ahead for the important games.  I have no doubt that every UW game from the start of the season has been dissected, filtered and analyzed to the extreme.  This head coach wouldn’t have it any other way.

That kind of preparation is essential for us to enjoy what we have been watching.  Oh, how we love to . . .

• Go Ducks! 3
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

He also mentioned that he threw a bunch of trick plays in this week to give the fuskies even more to have to think about and plan for. He also didn't call them trick plays. Made it sound like they may become part off the standard offense. Dude just out coached Chip and is already setting the stage for more against the purple pups.

On 11/6/2022 at 9:32 AM, Feathers said:

I have no doubt that every UW game from the start of the season has been dissected, filtered and analyzed to the extreme.  This head coach wouldn’t have it any other way.

That kind of preparation is essential for us to enjoy what we have been watching.  Oh, how we love to . . .

I would think, then, that UTAH got the most attention.  

On 11/6/2022 at 10:07 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

He also mentioned that he threw a bunch of trick plays in this week to give the fuskies even more to have to think about and plan for. He also didn't call them trick plays. Made it sound like they may become part off the standard offense. Dude just out coached Chip and is already setting the stage for more against the purple pups.

Not only out coached the UCLA staff, but Bo was the better QB that day - by a good margin.  And if healthy, he'll be the best QB  going forward from here on out till the Championship game in Las Vegas - should the Ducks make it that far.

A top notch coaching staff try’s to leave nothing to chance. Competing at a high level requires attention to the details that some may overlook. Knowing the opponents personnel and tendencies requires many hours of work. 

What I find refreshing is how unpredictable our offense has become. Bo Nix having a Heisman worthy campaign is stunning the college football world. 

Defenses are being forced to defend the entire field of play. They have to respect a potent running game, and passing attack. On top of that someone needs to keep an eye on an elusive QB that may run at any time…

Fun to watch.

• Thumbs Up 2