Pennsylvania Duck

Dan Lanning Weekly Press Conference | November 14, 2022

Everything Dan Lanning said on Monday of Utah week--Transcript

247SPORTS.COM

Head coach Dan Lanning met with the media for his weekly Monday press conference.  Here is a complete transcript of his...

Coach DL handled those questions about as well as he could.

He knows this team (including coaches) have some work to do.

I appreciate the depth of some of those questions. He definitely knows he is dealing with a knowledgeable fan base that demands more than just coaches talk.

I appreciate that he protects his players the way he does without making excuses for them.

Great answer from Coach Lanning yesterday...

Pretty crappy Crepea singles out Bennet Williams on that last long TD.  Did he single out Forsyth for the bad snap or Nix for the fumble in the red zone.?  There were at least a dozen miscues that contributed to the loss, any one of which could have been the difference maker if it had gone the other way.  Bennet's missed tackle just happened to be the last.

We all can see he's struggling and DL admitted he's probably being asked to do too much.  I hate seeing classless personal attacks on players from "professional" journalists.

Edited by noDucknewby

The Ducks high scoring, clock eating offense has bailed the defense out in more than a few games. The defensive weaknesses have existed since the spring game. Actually since the 2019 season... Probably going to be fixed beginning in spring of 23........

What wont need fixing is Coach Lanning's willingness to own the problems. DL and his staff are probably losing much needed sleep over a defense that cant pass rush, apply pressure, pass cover and get off the field on 3rd down.

However, win or lose, it's a team effort. Every play thru out the 60 minutes matter and contribute to the final score. Coaching mistakes or player execution? Offense, defense and special teams, well it doesnt matter. Its on the team....

What matters is the Utah game. I am confident that the coaches and players will work on those weaknesses and bring their A plus game on Saturday.

No one, i think can say they didnt see those players give everything they had. I am proud of the effort and grateful for this coaching staff. This season could have been much worse.......

On 11/15/2022 at 3:59 PM, noDucknewby said:

Pretty crappy Crepea singles out Bennet Williams on that last long TD........I hate seeing classless personal attacks on players from "professional" journalists.

One only has to listen to the verbose questions Crapea(sic) asks, to realize it is all about him.

• Thanks 1
  • Mic drop 1

Crepea loves to be the 'smartest man in the room' and I love that DL nicely lets him know he is not the smartest man in the room in a very succinct and professional way.   He clearly was trying to get DL to throw Williams under the bus.  

On 11/16/2022 at 9:56 AM, Augduck said:

Crepea loves to be the 'smartest man in the room' and I love that DL nicely lets him know he is not the smartest man in the room in a very succinct and professional way.   He clearly was trying to get DL to throw Williams under the bus.  

Crepea definitely has an ego and it shows in his questioning. But, without him asking the hard questions we would get the same report from the coach every week. No one else asks those questions.

At least this way we can see/hear DL talk about his players. We learn how much he cares for this team. We understand how quick witted and intelligent Coach Lanning is. I for one enjoy getting to understand the coach this way. I respect him more by how he answers Crepea's questions than if those questions were never asked.

I'm not a fan of Crepea's personality either. But, his character flaws contrast nicely to DL's attributes.  This makes for some great quotes.

Edited by DUCati855

On 11/16/2022 at 10:22 AM, DUCati855 said:

Crepea definitely has an ego and it shows in his questioning. But, without him asking the hard questions we would get the same report from the coach every week. No one else asks those questions.

At least this way we can see/hear DL talk about his players. We learn how much he cares for this team. We understand how quick witted and intelligent Coach Lanning is. I for one enjoy getting to understand the coach this way. I respect him more by how he answers Crepea's questions than if those questions were never asked.

I'm not a fan of Crepea's personality either. But, his character flaws contrast nicely to DL's attributes.  This makes for some great quotes.

Certainly very valid points and I agree he does probe more than some of the others.  

On 11/16/2022 at 10:22 AM, DUCati855 said:

Mostly agree, I just think this can be done without singling out individual players.  There were breakdowns on offense, defense and special teams.  Bennet's miscue alone did not cost us the game.

On 11/16/2022 at 11:24 AM, noDucknewby said:

Bennet's miscue alone did not cost us the game.

You are correct, but he also was burned earlier in the game on the long TD, and was he part of the "mis-communication" vs Colorado?