Feathers

What Happened Last Saturday vs Washington?

I ran into a retired coach, former member of Rich Brooks' staff who I sometimes play golf with.  I posed the above question to him.  In reply he first talked about the skill level, size and speed of the Duck linebackers and defensive backs.  Then he made a comment I have never heard before.  He said: "Penix was 'unfortunately accurate'. He wasn't that accurate against Oregon State."

I thought about that, and recalled sevral third down plays where the receiver was covered but the pass to the side line was low and away, where the defender reached, but could not get it.  Or the pass was high and just out of reach of the defender, but the taller receiver brought it down.  They were like passes I see on Sunday.  Yes, "unfortunately accurate" sums it up in two words. I have won golf matches against better players when my game was "unfortunately accurate" from my opponent's view point.  The shots to the pin were close and the putts went in.  That just happens some times.  Pros say they're "in the zone" on those kinds of days.

I know there were a lot of other things about the game that impacted the outcome, but when it gets right down to it, Michael Penix was "unfortunately accurate" because he was "in the zone."  On another day it would not be that way. 

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/15/2022 at 4:56 PM, Feathers said:

He said: "Penix was 'unfortunately accurate'. He wasn't that accurate against Oregon State."

The weather in Seattle when UW and OSU played was windy and raining. Not an apples to apples comparison.

But, the result was the same...a win for the huskies by 3 points.

It is also easier to be accurate when you can stand there and not worry about being sacked. Agree there is also some luck, but at #128 out of 131 teams in passing defense, it isn't just luck as far as Oregon's defense against the pass.

As far as your golf game I haven't experienced that phenomena very often. It is nice when it happens!

• Applause 1

The #1 ranked passing offense played the #127 ranked passing defense.

I was stunned (and dismayed) by the plethora of wide-open receivers Penix had to choose from. All Game Long… 

It is a glaring deficiency that must be alleviated if OBD want to play for the PAC 12 title.

• Thumbs Up 2

No doubt the Ducks pass defense is not great, but the Ducks have been in a shoot out or winning by such a large margin, teams have to throw the ball.  That is going to pile up the passing yards.  I don't really think the Ducks pass defense was that much better last year than this year.  It only appears that way when we were scoring 17 points and teams didn't have to throw the ball to keep up or catch up.

The old say, of how the ball bounces.  The fumble, the Nix injury and TD stop.  Missed Defensive plays.  It happens, as Chip found out in his time here.  The question becomes, can we cut down those bounces against us and make them in our favor.  More consistent defense, Great would be preferable but consistent would be nice.  A competent back up QB, like Brian Bennett or Nate Costa and Thomas for Masoli.

Have had a lot on my mind.  I actually am not phased by the loss as it was a GOOD loss if you are going to have one.  The Loss against Georgia, is a Good Loss too.  As it was the FIRST game of the season, FIRST game as a coaching staff against a GREAT National Championship Team, Coach to Recruits.

The fact that we have a Defensive Minded coach, I believe explains why, he settles in on the score.  He is not looking to offensively man handle other teams in order to get some real game reps for back ups on the Offense.  Time on that field, should be used for putting your players in learnable moments.  Offensive players need that for timing, adjusting but that has not been happening.  It is for burning up clock and dumping fuel or opportunities for the opposing offense.  Defenses react to what happens on the field.

Rules in the NCAA are very strict about time with athletes.  It is why Chip kept up repetition on the field and used class room time for correction.  Seems to me, that is what I recall in all my years, listening to Charles and the great writers he brought in.  That you have only so much time, Hands On Physically with the players then Class room time.  So that makes time on the field, in a game valuable, why waste it?  

Coach Lanning, you seem to have your head going in the RIGHT direction.  WHY would you let these valuable "time" opportunities slip by. . .  I hear you about time dedicated to recruiting. . .  But that is why you have Malchow/Chief of Staff. . .  That is WHY, those that came before you have showed you the way. . .  Quit reinventing the wheel and get right with the limited TIME you have at your disposal and train your back ups, let them get hungry and eat. . .  Keep the old ones, the less talented HUNGRY, they fight to survive. . .  The weak, head to Miami.

I know, I know, we do not know what it is really like, us Arm Chair QB's.  Sitting in front of the TV watching hours of real games.  Heck, we could never really tell what was happening, if the Hot Dog Guy has Ketchup or Mustard but seriously.  We have had Nearly 15 years(?) of Charles and FishDuck teaching ALL of us the details of the IZR reading the DE on a QB sweep pitch to the RB if the Safety Crashes us.  Teachable Moments Coach!  But for reals, get our boys some real game reps, leave the children at home.