Charles Fischer

FishDuck Fundamentals Needed to Beat the Beavers

Always fun having a Xs and Ox chat with Dazed, and I agree with his contentions listed in another thread.

Defense:

Coach Lupoi is not on any chopping block; I believe that when he announced that he wanted an attacking defense at Oregon when hired--he meant it.  He also told us another reason for coming to Oregon was due to his admiration of Lanning's brilliance on defense, hence he wanted to learn from Dan and improve his DC expertise.

I still refer to earlier articles where both Dazed and I concluded independently in the week after the Washington State game, that Lanning decided that with this high-scoring offense....a Cover-2 Bend-But-Don't-Break defense was in order.  As Dazed wrote, you don't look at the usual metrics; the scoreboard is the one that matters.

Against Washington, the Cover-2 was exploited, there was not any mixing up the defenses, and a number of other factors had to play out perfectly for the Huskies...and they did.  Thus with Utah, Lanning did not take over, but realized that with a defensive reboot in only a week from primarily Cover-2 to Cover-1...it is all-hands-on-deck to help make it happen.  Thus why we saw more involvement from Lanning on the sideline assisting Lupoi, and creating a great learning experience for our DC.

I agree with many here as well that we will mix it up for the Beavers, but primarily run Cover-1 to slow the Beaver rushing attack, and make the OSU QB try to outscore us through the air.  That is an "iffy" proposition for Oregon State.

Bucky Irving_Craig Strobeck.jpg

Offense:

It has been asked often "why" we did not run the ball well versus Utah, and I point to a couple of factors; the first is the loss of veteran offensive linemen of which may not be the case this week.  Rumors of Alex Forsyth returning are being hinted.  Ryan Walk and Steven Jones are back at guard, thus run-blocking will be improved a touch.  Why just a touch?

A massive element in running success has been the introduction nearly each week of new running plays and formations to confuse the opponent.  Surprise can work as well as a block, and then as the opponent adjusts--you run sequential plays off the original new play. Pulling out the Jumbo formation, the "I" formation, the Twin Backs, the "Mariota" play, etc. all contributed in a BIG way to our rushing success.

But last week the offense could not roll out any new running plays as it was assumed that Ty would be starting, hence the practices were focused upon the basic plays and the new perimeter passing plays used to attack the Utes.  There was not enough time to roll anything new out, and you don't do that to a new QB. (Exhibit "A" was the Jet-Sweep Reverse vs. Utah)

I believe Dilly has quite a few new surprises up his sleeve, and this will help take tons of pressure off of Bo to make plays on a hobbled ankle.  As Dazed and I discussed--we would not be surprised to see some deep passes thrown early along with some bootleg and even Zone Read (to the outside) mild runs by Bo to establish to the Beavers that, "you better not pack the box or we will hurt you."

New wrinkles on offense might help make up for lack of complete speed and mobility of Bo. And this is the time for our wide receivers and tight ends to prove their separation talents, and get-open against the sticky Oregon State defensive backs.  This could be a superb "step-up" game for them, as there is great pride from beating a great secondary. 

CJ Verdell surrounded_Karl Maasdam of OSU Athletics.jpg

Setting Things Straight at Reser

The majority of this team has a bad taste in their mouth just thinking about being at Reser the last time.  A game Oregon should have won, but so many mistakes gave it to OSU in the end. I would like to think the respect factor and the revenge factor is going to be present for many of these veteran players. Unlike many games under a prior coach where the team came out flat--I don't see that happening here.

Beat the Beavers!

Mr. FishDuck

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Boy oh boy Charles, I hope your crystal ball doesn't turn into a pumpkinesk Cristobal.

I'm dying to know what The Mariota Play is.

I can think of so many...

On 11/26/2022 at 9:32 AM, nw777b said:

I'm dying to know what The Mariota Play is.

This was covered extensively in threads after the Stanford game.  

This is from the 2012 game at USC where Mariota would Zone Read a DE on the left side while meshing with DAT running to the right.  If the read defender crashed, then Marcus would pull the ball and follow two pulling blockers to the left.  If the defender being read "sat" then he would hand off to DAT would run to the right "naked" side, (no blocking) but you had DAT one-on-one with defenders in the open field.  It was good-or-good between who ran the ball.

We did this early versus Stanford and really messed them up.  Then we flipped it and had the mesh with the RB going to the left and Bo could run the "naked" direction.  We ran pass-plays off this, and other sequential plays in that game and the next.

I called it the "Mariota" play,....just because it was cool in 2012 to see him run behind two pulling big blockers.

"Quarterback in the Clear!"

Mariota in 2012_Kevin Cline.jpg

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/26/2022 at 10:09 AM, Charles Fischer said:

This was covered extensively in threads after the Stanford game.  

This is from the 2012 game at USC where Mariota would Zone Read a DE on the left side while meshing with DAT running to the right.  If the read defender crashed, then Marcus would pull the ball and follow two pulling blockers to the left.  If the defender being read "sat" then he would hand off to DAT would run to the right "naked" side, (no blocking) but you had DAT one-on-one with defenders in the open field.  It was good-or-good between who ran the ball.

We did this early versus Stanford and really messed them up.  Then we flipped it and had the mesh with the RB going to the left and Bo could run the "naked" direction.  We ran pass-plays off this, and other sequential plays in that game and the next.

I called it the "Mariota" play,....just because it was cool in 2012 to see him run behind two pulling big blockers.

"Quarterback in the Clear!"

Mariota in 2012_Kevin Cline.jpg

Awesome.  Thank you. I searched the forum, but couldn't find the reference.