Pennsylvania Duck

Nebraska Hires Matt Rhule

Nebraska hires Matt Rhule: Former Carolina Panthers coach will try to rebuild another college program

Rhule was fired by the Panthers this season but has led two major turnarounds as a college coach.

When Rhule got his previous two jobs -- Baylor and Temple -- both programs had deep depths to overcome. 

In both cases, Rhule tore the program down to the studs and rebuilt them in his image -- one of development, toughness and high-IQ football.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Rhule was fired by the Panthers this season but has led two major turnarounds as a college coach

Good hire.  I wanted him after Helfrich was fired but Baylor was more appealing for some reason.

I remember when he was the coach at Temple in Philly and built that program back up in 2-3 years. He appeared to be a strong leader, the players thought highly of him and the community supported him. Temple hasn't been the same since he left! Great hire for Nebraska, he'll do well there.

On 11/26/2022 at 8:38 AM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

I remember when he was the coach at Temple in Philly and built that program back up in 2-3 years. He appeared to be a strong leader, the players thought highly of him and the community supported him. Temple hasn't been the same since he left!

He took Baylor from 1-11 to 11-1 in just a couple years.  With the portal Nebraska may become a factor in the B1G quicker than many anticipate.  Matt Rhule's defense against Lincoln Riley's offense could be interesting.

Meh.  I think he is a good coach, but could have waited for a better opportunity.  Nebraska overcame their recruiting difficulties in the past because of their national reputation, but now is a tough road.  He should have waited for a better opening near a major well-funded metro center.

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/26/2022 at 12:40 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Meh.  I think he is a good coach, but could have waited for a better opportunity.  Nebraska overcame their recruiting difficulties in the past because of their national reputation, but now is a tough road.  He should have waited for a better opening near a major well-funded metro center.

Charles, I disagree with you on this one. If you have a dumpster fire on your hands to fix, Matt Rhule has a great track record for turning those around. I bet Nebraska had to pay him a bundle and I think there's money to improve their football quickly. It will be interesting to see who he brings in to assist.

When he left Temple after 3 years, they were 10-2. He was able to recruit, bring in players, and Temple would not be considered an easy place to recruit to, without a stadium of their own on campus. McDuck said he turned Baylor to 11-1 in 2 years. We'll see, but with the portal, I think he will have that Nebraska program turned around just like he did the others in a short time.

On 11/26/2022 at 10:52 AM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Charles, I disagree with you on this one.

Good!  And you did it the perfect way, a great example to all as to how to "politely disagree" with someone.  So all of you reluctant to post--this is how we do it!  And it is enforced, as we have your back!

This thread is another example, as I did not know Rhule's record at Temple, and what he overcame--thanks to Pennsylvania Duck for that and ALL the work done bringing us the articles!

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

It is a good hire, not a great hire.  I don't give any coach 8 years, except Saban or Dabo. 

It is hard though.  You want it to be painful for a coach to leave early, but don't want to be on the hook, if the coach stinks.  

He will likely win 8 games next season.  They have enough talent, just 3-5 playd a game causing a lot of losses.