Pennsylvania Duck

Canzano: Pac-12 Coaches Split on Who Did It Best

No doubt Smith won the Coach of the Year. The beav coach took a program that never should have a ten win season, and may just pull it off with a bowl win.

Also all you have to do is as a dawg fan. Their coaches merely meet expectations, or are a complete failure. The dawg program should always win 10 games. DeBoer only did what was expected.

I do think Whittingham should be in the discussion. He won the Pac-12 again, and lost some good players last year. He is the best coach in the Pac-12 right now. 

As far as the best leader on the field, no doubt it is Rising. I would take Rising over Williams all day long. If you watched the two injured qb's play, one was a leader and one was a whiner. Rising gets his head knocked off, and jumped up and led his team. Williams got sacked and looked like he was going to quit. 

I do wish Nix had been able to stayed healthy. He may have won the award with a win against all three top qb's. Unfortunately it is could have, should have, and would have, and that all means he didn't. He did do all he could for our program and for that I am grateful.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

My vote would go to Smith because he is managing to "do more with less" than just about anyone else in the conference.  But then, DeBoar managed to turn UW into a solid team and title contender in just his 1st season.  It's taken Smith 5+ seasons to get the Beavers (almost) there.  Plus, DeBoar's team beat Oregon in Eugene at full-strength (till near the end).

Congrats to both.  Maybe Dan Lanning can win it next year.

• Thumbs Up 2

Smith for sure.  Washington still has the 3rd most talented roster in the conference.  They should be competitive with the top teams.  What Smith is doing in Corvallis is amazing. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/6/2022 at 2:58 PM, Haywarduck said:

No doubt Smith won the Coach of the Year. The beav coach took a program that never should have a ten win season, and may just pull it off with a bowl win.

Also all you have to do is as a dawg fan. Their coaches merely meet expectations, or are a complete failure. The dawg program should always win 10 games. DeBoer only did what was expected.

I do think Whittingham should be in the discussion. He won the Pac-12 again, and lost some good players last year. He is the best coach in the Pac-12 right now. 

As far as the best leader on the field, no doubt it is Rising. I would take Rising over Williams all day long. If you watched the two injured qb's play, one was a leader and one was a whiner. Rising gets his head knocked off, and jumped up and led his team. Williams got sacked and looked like he needed a touch-up on his manicure. 

I do wish Nix had been able to stayed healthy. He may have won the award with a win against all three top qb's. Unfortunately it is could have, should have, and would have, and that all means he didn't. He did do all he could for our program and for that I am grateful.

FIFY