Dave23

LB Jestin Jacobs Game Changer for Ducks D?

Found this video about Jacobs, looks like exactly the kind of LB the ducks need.

Hybrid LB/Nickel that stands 6-4, 238 LBS and has the coverage skills and quickness to cover slot receivers paired with the muscle to cover the big tight ends. Can set the edge against the run as well.

This sounds exactly like what the Ducks were missing this year.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

He was injured this season, I hope he comes back 100% healthy.

I believe it happened in the second game and he had surgery the next week so hopefully for him he'll be able to participate in spring ball and be 100% for the season.

Just was really impressed with his coverage skills you don't see guys that big cover that well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not necessarily a game changer but a step in the right direction assuming he is healthy. If he's really that good in both rush defense AND pass coverage then DL needs 3 of him...in that scenario that's a game changer.

• Applause 1

Bassa, Brown, and Jacobs can cover the weak link was always Flowe and Sewell in pass coverage. While Jacobs may not be a game changer all by himself He's definitely a step in the right direction.

Out of high school he was deemed a pretty good pass rusher as well. Not sure you was asked to do that in Iowa's defense as they had other that could, leaving him to defend TEs. 

TE is being a major component of passing games and one that gave us fits I'm hoping he frees up other defenders in the past game as he looks like he can lock down most TEs.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I'm not sure about game changer, but very solid player who meets a critical need, yes. 

This guy can play the run, but more than anything he covers tight ends and big slots as well as any linebacker out there.

Big tight ends and line backers killed us this past season. 

I think this is a great pick up for the Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 1

The game changers on offense last year were the RB and QB transfers. They came along and showed the offense what was possible. Kind of like they saw a wall, ran through it and everyone else followed them. Every team needs guys like that on the field to show what is possible and inspire the play on the field.

On defense we had Gonzo, but he more like jumped over the wall and everyone watched him and said no way I can do that. Gonzo's play was inspirational, but nobody followed him. Nobody on defense was like Troy Dye, playing with an incredible football IQ while inspiring everyone around him. Whether it was playing with a broken arm, or just never stopping on a play, no one wanted to let him down.

The question I have is of the culture component. Who can we bring in, or will we bring in who can be the Bo Nix, Troy Dye. I just hope we aren't missing that element again next season. I do think that position may be wide open with the players coming back. We definitely didn't have that on defense as the supposed alpha dog barely barked.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/14/2022 at 12:43 PM, Haywarduck said:

The defense has been missing a Troy  Troy Dye, playing with an incredible football IQ while inspiring everyone around him.

This team has needed a Troy Dye type player since Troy left. Could also use a Dominant safety that can lead the backend. The Ducks D had been spoiled with great safeties and we could use another.