Charles Fischer

Some Recruiting Notes to Remember...

I can tell that for some of you--this is relatively new, the whole recruiting game. As a fan who has watched it since the internet and Oregon sites began....fluid does not adequately describe what happens routinely each year.

The vast majority of our recruiting class that has verballed to us will stay with us, but a few will flip and we will flip some our way.  Just the way it works, and I would not be surprised or outraged when it does occur.  In the end, Oregon will do fine.

It can immediately change to where what looks good now--is the opposite Monday morning with a recruit.  Then it changes again on Tuesday, and on Wednesday morning he goes another way and signs with another school.  A small percentage of these, especially the high-profile recruits have this happen consistently every year.  Just the way it is...

A Duck-Buddy told me this morning, (he knows a verbal recruit and his parents) that the energy this young coaching staff has in recruiting is just so attractive and contagious--and how the Ducks will do just fine between the HS recruiting and the portal.  You need to have faith in that.

It is not over with Moore, and even if it was--it is not the same crushing blow that it would have been years ago.  Quarterback recruiting has changed the most of any position by a mile; you will not be able to stack a QB room with tons of 4&5-Star players.  If they don't start--they portal out. 

old man yells at cloud - Meme on Imgur

QB recruiting is different now, and I am not saying I like it, (see above) but we all adapt. Between all the options available and our new offense--Oregon will be just fine at QB; sell yourself on that, and consider saving your complaints for when it is not true.  (Not as embarrassing)

Think of how difficult and complex it is for our coaches, and yet they won BIG last year in the portal--and did well salvaging our HS recruiting class. We are in on SO MANY big recruits at the last minute...so many more than prior years.

This is high drama that creates great entertainment; enjoy the ride!

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/16/2022 at 2:56 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I can tell that for some of you--this is relatively new, the whole recruiting game. As a fan who has watched it since the internet and Oregon sites began....fluid does not adequately describe what happens routinely each year.

The vast majority of our recruiting class that has verballed to us will stay with us, but a few will flip and we will flip some our way.  Just the way it works, and I would not be surprised or outraged when it does occur.  In the end, Oregon will do fine.

It can immediately change to where what looks good now--is the opposite Monday morning with a recruit.  Then it changes again on Tuesday, and on Wednesday morning he goes another way and signs with another school.  A small percentage of these, especially the high-profile recruits have this happen consistently every year.  Just the way it is...

A Duck-Buddy told me this morning, (he knows a verbal recruit and his parents) that the energy this young coaching staff has in recruiting is just so attractive and contagious--and how the Ducks will do just fine between the HS recruiting and the portal.  You need to have faith in that.

It is not over with Moore, and even if it was--it is not the same crushing blow that it would have been years ago.  Quarterback recruiting has changed the most of any position by a mile; you will not be able to stack a QB room with tons of 4&5-Star players.  If they don't start--they portal out. 

old man yells at cloud - Meme on Imgur

QB recruiting is different now, and I am not saying I like it, (see above) but we all adapt. Between all the options available and our new offense--Oregon will be just fine at QB; sell yourself on that, and consider saving your complaints for when it is not true.  (Not as embarrassing)

Think of how difficult and complex it is for our coaches, and yet they won BIG last year in the portal--and did well salvaging our HS recruiting class. We are in on SO MANY big recruits at the last minute...so many more than prior years.

This is high drama that creates great entertainment; enjoy the ride!

Well said Charles. I guess I've been around this long enough to stop worrying about who is visiting who and all the drama around recruiting these days. The Ducks will be fine and get the kids they were meant to get in the end.

• Thumbs Up 1

Pennsylvania Duck posted this below in the recruiting thread....but gadfry, this is quite a group Oregon is after...and that does not count the portal prospects!

• Wow 1

Mr. FishDuck

Charles, this relates perfectly to what you're saying...

• Thanks 1

Crazy how many possible "flips " Oregon is involved in. 

247SPORTS.COM

The latest rumblings from the recruiting trail on some of the top prospects in the country.

There are actually TWO seasons to college football.  

We now have declared "winners" of the signing day/transfer portal activities with rankings of all the teams and their recruit prizes.  

It completely reminds me of when we used to dump out our Halloween candy as kids to see who got the most and the best candy.

The thing is, this first "season" of signing day/transfer portal activity is being equated to ON FIELD success.  I have acquaintances who were ready to declare Jimbo the new king of the SEC after last year's class (He ruled the bottom with Auburn and Vanderbilt).

It is very easy for me to get caught up in all the mayhem and rankings attached to a recruiting and signing before I realize that these kids haven't even stepped on the field.  I was ready to predict that TT would be the PAC-12 QB of the year when Oregon signed him.

In 2015, I was absolutely elated that Oregon had scored the commitment of one Canton Kumandgetcha (I think I got that last name wrong 😂) and dismissed completely the signing of some 3 star DB named Ugo Amadi.

To be fair, Canton dealt with some significant injuries and made the decision to be healthy for the rest of his long life....but nobody saw what Ugo would become.

So yep, I will continue to be excited for those 5 star signings but also recognize that the games that matter or those that are played on the field...not online in the recruit rankings.

For those of you who remember Canton and wondered what happened, this is a great article.  It brings it back to reality that these players ARE just kids with their entire lives ahead of them.

WWW.GOOGLE.COM

After football didn't lead him where he expected, he's finally found a community and his voice, and even...

• Thumbs Up 1

I took a look at the last few years of recruiting. I specifically was looking at the top 15 recruits rating for each of our classes. Only TWICE has Oregon had a recruiting year with 15 kids 4* or higher. Technically only once! That's because 2023 isn't in the books. 2021 was the other year according to '247'. I don't care about the overall score as that can be skewed by total number of recruits

Of course, there is always going to be diamonds in the rough, but the higher the grade of recruit then the higher the chance for winning seasons, PAC championships, Natty runs. 

Lanning and Company 'only' brought in 17 commits last year. That's 11 4* or higher for a newbie coach and now he's flirting with a known 15 and could add 2-5 5* kids this week????!!!!!! Whaaaaaaaaatt???!!!!

This year, 2023, has the possibility of being the highest rated of all time. What's got me pleasantly surprised, excited, is that next year could turn Oregon's recruits on it's heals. Our top 15 recruits not only could/should be 4* or higher, but it could be 4*+ for the whole entire recruiting class!

That's Scary!! 

Duck On!

Edited by 1Funduck