Steven A

Autzen Comes in at No. 5 of the Loudest

5. Autzen Stadium

c732c21d367d408b87c796acdc1d26d7.jpeg
Don Ryan/AP Photo

College: University of Oregon (Eugene, Oregon)

Opened: 1966

Capacity: 60,000

Bottom Line: Autzen Stadium

6647f788050c47948f15ed671778a063.jpeg
Andy Nelson/AP Phooto

At a babyfaced 66 years old, the University of Oregon's Autzen Stadium is the newest stadium to make the list, beating Virginia Tech's Lane Stadium by just one year — it's also the smallest to make the list.  

The hometown Ducks got a major amplification in the noise department when it increased its capacity by almost 20,000 in the early 2000s. Since then, Oregon fans have had plenty to cheer about — they've won six Pac-10 or Pac-12 Conference titles since the expansion was completed in 2002 and played in the national championship twice in that stretch. 

Full article . . .

WWW.STADIUMTALK.COM

Decibel levels, championships and our own ears have proven these to be the loudest college football stadiums of all time.

It could be much louder if only everyone would cheer. I sit in Section 35, Row 43, and while I can hear people in the upper part of the section cheering, most of those around me don't cheer, or clap, or make any noise--except after a touchdown.

On 12/25/2022 at 12:13 PM, Steven A said:

The hometown Ducks got a major amplification in the noise department when it increased its capacity by almost 20,000 in the early 2000s.

Bellotti would disagree. It’s his contention that we actually lost decibels as the result of the increased seating which forced the south side roof to be raised, thereby diminishing the rebound effect.

• Thumbs Up 2

Autzen used to be louder when they had cement below the AstroTurf which bounced the sound waves back to the crowd and sideline.  But we removed the concrete and installed Field-Turf which has millions of rubber pellets that absorbs shock for player safety, but also soaks up sound waves.

The only reason I figure we are in the Top-Ten is because everyone else has Field-Turf too!

Autzen at Night_Eric Evans of Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck