Pennsylvania Duck

Canzano: Money Changes the College Criticism Game

Oregon quarterback Bo Nix inks NIL deal with Bose

Bo Nix has become the latest athlete to join the Bose roster. 

He’s thrived in name, image and likeness, too. He has not struggled to monetize his publicity rights, inking

endorsement agreements with Topps, Subway, The Duck Store, ONIT, Division Street, Bojangels and Candy Digital.

The quarterback currently holds a $690,000 On3 NIL Valuation. His evaluation ranks 50th in the On3 NIL 100.

WWW.ON3.COM

Oregon quarterback Bo Nix has become the latest college athlete to sign an NIL deal with Bose. He is a favorite for next year's...

How about this? Criticism of all athletes - professional or little league - is way over the top. It's fine to point out poor performances, print stats that show just how poor the performances were, and indicate where fault lies in games. I mean, it's all there for people to see on their screens, anyway. No point in trying to deny it. Facts is facts: you throw three picks, you screwed up.

But, the stupid, savage, personal trash spouted by that radio show host - calling someone a disgrace and a loser - is beyond the pale at any level. It's only sports. These are people performing for our entertainment and their personal satisfaction. Sure, some of them get paid a lot. But, what difference does that make? They're out there in the arena, and we're sitting on our lard butts, watching them.

Sure, you can say whatever you want. You're entitled, and all that nonsense. It's part of the discourse today, where saying the meanest possible thing on the internet or screaming insults at a game is a way of showing how "uncensored" you are (this is not meant politically, btw). But, it's really tiresome.

And, I think Canzano gives a classic false equivalence head-fake between the Arkansas radio host's comments and his reporting on Zach Randolph; two totally different things

End of rant.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm really torn on the NIL stuff. I know there's people who are saying it's going to ruin College Football. But without NIL do Nix, Penix, Williams and others return or are they off to the NFL? We all know the answer to that. So, there's good and bad to me. I have no problems with these kids getting paid when the schools have been making millions off them for years. However, with that comes more scrutiny and expectations. That's life. In my profession I'm in management so I make more than my staff. Not bragging but with my higher salary the expectations from my company are greater. That's how it works. Should we know what they're getting? I'm not sure about that but I don't have a problem with criticizing performance as long as it's not personal. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/27/2022 at 1:18 PM, jrw said:

How about this? Criticism of all athletes - professional or little league - is way over the top.

There is a whole sub-culture that believes cruelty to others is “cool.”  We see them in social media trolling and snarking others in semi-anonymity. Criticism of performance is okay but the rest is just cruelty. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/27/2022 at 1:18 PM, jrw said:

How about this? Criticism of all athletes - professional or little league - is way over the top. It's fine to point out poor performances, print stats that show just how poor the performances were, and indicate where fault lies in games. I mean, it's all there for people to see on their screens, anyway. No point in trying to deny it. Facts is facts: you throw three picks, you screwed up.

But, the stupid, savage, personal trash spouted by that radio show host - calling someone a disgrace and a loser - is beyond the pale at any level. It's only sports. These are people performing for our entertainment and their personal satisfaction. Sure, some of them get paid a lot. But, what difference does that make? They're out there in the arena, and we're sitting on our lard butts, watching them.

Sure, you can say whatever you want. You're entitled, and all that nonsense. It's part of the discourse today, where saying the meanest possible thing on the internet or screaming insults at a game is a way of showing how "uncensored" you are (this is not meant politically, btw). But, it's really tiresome.

And, I think Canzano gives a classic false equivalence head-fake between the Arkansas radio host's comments and his reporting on Zach Randolph; two totally different things

End of rant.

It's always best to remain classy when criticizing players.  SOMETIMES THOUGH, you just want to be in first grade again...