Annie

Darren Carrington's Alamo Bowl Championship Ring

I was actually looking for a rhinestone Duck football ring and this popped up in the search.

WWW.RINGSOFCHAMPIONS.COM

2013 Oregon Ducks Alamo Bowl Champions NCAA Football Championship Ring! This Massive & beautiful ring belonged to...

• Yikes! 1
  • Like 1

Carrington was an outstanding receiver who unfortunately listened to his agent and prematurely opted for the NFL draft, never to be heard of again……as far as the NFL was concerned.

But I recall Carrington giving a shout-out to Justin Herbert, when he was the third and least heralded QB his freshman class.

Carrington was asked what he thought about the first two recruits, and how their competition was shaping up, but he wasn’t asked about Herbert.

His reply, and I’m paraphrasing based on a memory that admittedly continues to wane:

”Those guys are doing great, but Herbert is the guy who throws the best ball.”

He was right.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 1/28/2023 at 2:25 PM, DUCKED said:

Carrington was an outstanding receiver who unfortunately listened to his agent and prematurely opted for the NFL draft, never to be heard of again……as far as the NFL was concerned.

Slight correction might be:

Carrington actually spent five years in college. Redshirted in 2013 then played 3 seasons at Oregon (playing in 29 games and catching 112 passes for 1919 yards and 15 TDs) before getting dismissed from the team by Taggert after (famously) getting a DUI after smashing into a pole at a McDonalds drive through at 3 am. If memory serves, it was sort of viewed as a "third strike" sort of deal, rather than getting run for one incident (however to some degree it may also have been influenced by Taggert's early calls to restore more discipline to the program after MH's departure).

Carrington went on to catch 70 passes for 980 yards and 6 TDs for Utah, before signing an unrestricted FA contract with Dallas (got cut towards the end of camp and signed with the Canadian Football League -- but can find any evidence of him catching any passes up there). I think he is scheduled to play his third season of indoor football this year for the Massachusetts Pirates (but don't quote me on that one).

It ended up being sort of unfortunate as the Duck offense spent most of the 2017 season a bit inexperienced at WR beyond senior Charles Nelson (relying upon three youngsters in Dillon Mitchell, Johnny Johnson lll, and Brendon Schooler).

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1