FishDuck Article

Oregon Basketball’s March Into Madness: Win NOW

The Oregon Women’s basketball team is figuratively (and literally) limping into the PAC-12 Conference Tournament. With a 2-4 record in their last six games, and Te-Hina PaoPao in a walking boot, the Lady Ducks are in search of some positive momentum. Can they find it in Las Vegas at the PAC-12 Tournament? Heading into postseason play, the Ducks are most ...

Read the full article here...

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Boy this is a fun time Coach, and thanks for your update.  My vibe about the teams are quite different, as it feels that the Women have too many problems to solve--that should be by now.  The Men though, seem to be improving toward the upside we felt was there at the beginning of the season.  The teams are moving in different directions...

Oregon Men's Basketball on Twitter: "Ready to make an impact.  Eugene  Omoruyi makes the cut for Jon Rothstein's 20 Impact Transfers for the 20-21  season.  #GoDucks #AlwaysUs… https://t.co/Bq5L8afoba"

Mr. FishDuck

What's with all the love Colorado is getting in men's basketball? They have broke the top 25 and are listed as a 5 seed in Joe Lunardi's bracketology on ESPN (the highest Pac12 seed in the tournament). Is there something I don't know about here?

The only thing I can see they have going for them is playing half their games at a mile high, as they are 10-1 at home but only playing .500 basketball on the road at 6-6 with horrible losses to Cal and Washington, the worst teams in the league. 

I looked at their schedule and I didn't see anything in it that suggests they have played tougher teams than anyone else. It's a bit of a head scratcher.

Huge game for the Ducks tonight. If the three headed monster (Duarte, Omoruyi and Figueroa) shows up and plays to potential then I like our chances. Would love to see Kepnang get going as well.

Edited by C J

In the morning paper in Eugene ... Altman was quoted as stating that UCLA lost their best player for the year to injury, but are playing very, very physical.  He told us to expect a tough, gritty physical game with the Bruins and that he feels the team is better able now to respond to that.

Dana Altman demands CS.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

5 hours ago, C J said:

What's with all the love Colorado is getting in men's basketball?

I don't get it either. The results you brought up of the disparity between home and road games for the Buffs is stark, and how they could be seen as a 5 seed is rocky logic at best.

With the Lady Ducks, no surprise that they had more success in pre-season games than in conference play, believing that this freshmen heavy team should even go.500 against the talented, experienced teams like Stanford, UCLA, Arizona, was optimistic at best.  What they are missing the most offensively is the lack of consistent scoring threat inside. She doesn't have to be Ruthy , but neither Sedona or Nyara pose enough of a threat to take defenders away from the shooters outside. There is certainly room for improvement, and the sooner Paopao can play the better. 

8 hours ago, 30Duck said:

neither Sedona or Nyara pose enough of a threat to take defenders away from the shooters

Sedona has surprised me with her lack of physicality, but considering her past injuries it kind of makes sense. She has the size and the athleticism it looks like, but there has been some tentative play. Hoping she settles in in future seasons.

13 hours ago, Charles Fischer said:

My vibe about the teams are quite different, as it feels that the Women have too many problems to solve--that should be by now.

On a normal year, I totally agree with the sentiment. The reason is that in a normal year they are playing a lot more warm up OOC games. This year they scratched games together where they could. Will all the new freshmen as well as transfers, there were not enough games for Graves to see who fit together the best. They were deep into conference play when Graves finally said publicly that he needed to tighten up the rotation. Then he didn't/couldn't tighten it up very much.

If the ladies had more games they would be in better shape and more like the team we expected by now. Just another thing to blame on COVID.