spartan2785

Jackson Shelstad: Have You Watched Him Play?

What sort of player is Jackson Shelsted, anyone here watched him live?  Just wondering what sort of point guard we have coming in.  There's a lot of hype since West Linn has taken down some of the best teams in the nation.  I know for myself I'm trying to reduce my expectations since I've fallen victim to overhyping freshman coming in.  Obviously it took Pritchard a few years before he took off.

Edit: thanks I should have included the name of the player in the title.

I watched his highlights in the Les Schwab Invitational, and mostly the full highlights where West Linn beat Bronny James's team.

I'll say that he seems to be better than Bronny- but if you have not watched Bronny play either than that won't help you! Just look it up on youtube.

On 247, Shelsted is ranked #31 and James is ranked #33. It lists Shelsted as a 6' PG and James as a 6'3'' Guard. 

That said, I do not expect either of those players to start as freshman, especially not Bronny James. I would be surprised if he ever gets drafted, so the whole story about Lebron playing with his son is just hype.

Jackson was offered by some pretty good basketball schools....Texas Tech, Houston and Kansas.

N.RIVALS.COM

Jackson Shelstad - 4 Star Point guard for Oregon on DuckSportsAuthority

Mr. FishDuck

Really looking forward to those 3 point shots, very fluid with range. Just the thing the Ducks have been missing.

I watched him a bit via the Les Schwab highlights . . .  he looks good.  He has some work to do to be great, but that's true of almost all high school players.  The potential is there.

My question is: can he be that "alpha" guard that the Ducks are currently lacking . . . is he a Luke Ridnour/Aaron Brooks/ Peyton Pritchard (even Dillon Brooks, though he's more of a SG/SF) type of player that can lead the team by example (hyper-competitive, trains and plays hard, and has high expectations for himself and the team), make everyone else around him better, and go get you a bucket when you really need one?   I hope so, because that's the missing piece for the current Ducks team imo.

Saw him play one game in the Les Schwab tourney. Watching him move around on the court--with or without the ball in his hands--you can see the incredible cat-like quickness he possesses. Can't teach that or develop that through hard work. It is EXTREMELY rare, in my view. 

In game action, he mostly glides along at 3/4 speed (for him) and then just explodes with a quick move on either offense or defense. He's a pretty good shooter, but he'll need to work on his three-point shooting at the next level. A key factor there will be what is his work ethic?  If it's anywhere close to Pritchard's, I predict great things for this kid. He's already a better athlete than Payton, and he seems to have that same kind of killer attitude. 

In the one game I saw, he was clearly the best player--by far--on his team, but was very unselfish while setting up his teammates for open shots. Yet, when the game was on the line in the closing minutes, he had the ball in his hands and took over.

I love Will Richardson, and he can make some nifty close-in shots when taking the ball to the hoop. However, his lack of quickness is a real handicap when matched up with defenders who are quicker or have quick hands. How many times have we seen the ball stolen or stripped away when Will drives into the key?  Shelstad will bring a quickness to the Duck offense next year that has been missing the past few years. 

As has been mentioned in other Duck basketball postings over the past few days/weeks, Ernie Kent's teams seemed to be totally reliant on having that great college point guard (Ridnour, Brooks) running to offense to have any sort of success.  More recently, it seems Dana's teams have fallen into the same pattern. Because of that, I don't see much hope for this year's team. I think Shelstad will be the next great point guard for the Ducks. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Let’s hope! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

West Linn for the most part has been taking care of business during the regular season.  6A -Three Rivers League

WWW.OSAA.ORG

Oregon School Activities Association

WWW.OSAA.ORG

2023 OSAA / OnPoint Community Credit Union 6A Boys Basketball State Championship | March 9-11, University of Portland, Chiles Center

WWW.MAXPREPS.COM

See the West Linn Lions's basketball schedule, roster, rankings, standings and more on MaxPreps.com

On 3/4/2023 at 4:40 PM, WiseKwacker said:

In game action, he mostly glides along at 3/4 speed (for him) and then just explodes with a quick move on either offense or defense. He's a pretty good shooter, but he'll need to work on his three-point shooting at the next level. A key factor there will be what is his work ethic?  If it's anywhere close to Pritchard's, I predict great things for this kid. He's already a better athlete than Payton, and he seems to have that same kind of killer attitude. 

Since you mention the comparison to Pritchard, I attach again a picture from long ago with the two of them.  I bet Payton is a role model for him and Jackson appears to have the same work ethic and killer instinct.  We're in for a treat next year!

6_large.jpg.7ebb518b2fd6bd3ea0714d1708eba020.webp

• Thumbs Up 1

Exactly which player would start ahead of him? It has been a long time since Oregon had a fast point guard.

• Thumbs Up 1