NJDuck

Debate: Is it Time to Retire the Pac-12 Tournament -- and Others Like it?

Matt Painter was almost 3 weeks from closing out a Big Ten regular-season title when he took the podium after a loss to Maryland. He admitted something that few Power 5 coaches are willing to actually say on the record.

“I’m not really worried about the Big Ten Tournament — I’m worried about the NCAA Tournament,” Painter said (via The Indianapolis Star). “You don’t get judged on that one — the Big Ten Tournament.”

I mean, is he wrong?

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

In the good ol' days, there was no Pac-12 Tournament. Then there was ... and wasn't ... and was again. Does any Power 5 league actually need a conference tournament anymore?

Won't be eliminated. Why? $$$$$$$$$

• Thumbs Up 1

This is a hot-button topic with me, as I think they are all bogus--a way to get an extra team into the NCAA tournament.  I am not just stating that just when Oregon has a great year, I am stating it NOW when Oregon could benefit from the conference tournament.

I am against conference tournaments for all conferences in all sports, thus they would ALL have to be eliminated because you cannot have one conference getting an extra advantage.  The Pac-12 just added a conference tournament in Baseball...how ludicrous.  They play 50 games, and three against every conference foe and THAT is not enough?

giphy.gif

• Salute 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

On 3/7/2023 at 4:39 PM, Charles Fischer said:

This is a hot-button topic with me, as I think they are all bogus--a way to get an extra team into the NCAA tournament.  I am not just stating that just when Oregon has a great year, I am stating it NOW when Oregon could benefit from the conference tournament.

I am against conference tournaments for all conferences in all sports, thus they would ALL have to be eliminated because you cannot have one conference getting an extra advantage.  The Pac-12 just added a conference tournament in Baseball...how ludicrous.  They play 50 games, and three against every conference foe and THAT is not enough?

giphy.gif

I understand your POV and in general, I agree. But for the WSU women to win the tourney and be included in the Women's Tournay is a heck of a story. 

• Thumbs Up 4

for many possible reasons tournaments are a mulligan for the regular season. Besides who doesn’t love a underdog (with a few exceptions)?

On 3/8/2023 at 11:06 AM, Flyin Vee said:

for many possible reasons tournaments are a mulligan for the regular season. Besides who doesn’t love a underdog (with a few exceptions)?

And what high handicapped golfer does not love a mulligan.

• Like 1