NJDuck

Canzano: Cutting Through the Noise About the Pac-12

How much of what's reported should we trust?

it has me thinking a lot lately about how the media narrative is shaped.  Who plants the stories?  Whose agendas are being served by what we read?  And how much of what is reported should we trust?

WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

How much of what's reported should we trust?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/10/2023 at 12:39 PM, NJDuck said:

Whose agendas are being served by what we read?

The answer is rarely your own... It's why I did a deep dive on the numbers to try and gauge what is real and what is fantasy in the rumor mill.  Armed with that perspective I've found that the vast majority of the "news" circling the PAC right now is just click-bait.  Some of the leaks are possibly aimed at controlling the direction that the PAC evolves in from outside our conference but I can't point to any single rumor and say "disinformation".

The truth is I don't think we have the relevant facts to understand how this thing is evolving.  I'm confidant that GK is advocating strongly for each of the universities needs in the deal but the universities don't believe the current offers are good enough yet so, "no deal yet".  If one or more universities arrive at the conclusion that the potential deal isn't going to be workable they will likely exercise their options to leave.  The fact that nobody has left indicates to me that no university has concluded the PAC's deal wont be workable.

Does that mean the PAC will move forward with the current 10 plus additions?  Not necessarily, but it does mean the rumors of its demise are certainly premature.  Nothing has been decided.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's always difficult to know another persons agenda or end game. They can look you in the eye, shake your hand and on the surface lead you to believe that you have an agreement.

As humans we tend to believe people will be true to their word. 2 good examples would be the BIG commish agreeing that neither the ACC, PAC 12 or BIG would poach any teams from their respective conferences. Or anytime the USC President opened her mouth. We know how well the words of assuances or hand shakes turned out.

My Mom would have simply said they were liars and should not be trusted.

As for some sports writers, podcasters and influencers, well to validate their existence, they must say or write something. Their are no consequemces to their BS they peddle. Doesn't matter who they hurt, demean or mislead.

They just want clicks. They dont want respect. They want clicks. The more outrageous the statement the more clicks.

We have choices to believe them or not believe them. Not once have these BS click bait artists named a source that was in the room. Evidently the greatest source is an unnamed source.

I think we all know what my mom would say about these click bait clowns......

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I read as far as it let me. I'm not paying to read Canzano or anyone else. But now I most want to know why Karen Brodkin wasn't hired instead of GK. She seems to have far better qualifications.

FWIW, the Utah AD called out Dennis Dodd. He says that Utah is not in contact with the B12.

4 corners schools at 31.7M each per season in the B12 means that ESPN/FOX would have to come up with an additional $126.8M a season. I do not see any of the 4 corner schools leaving for a lesser cut than BYU. And I do not see the 12 teams in the B12 agreeing come 2024 to take a financial haircut to add the 4 schools.

FOX seems more than satisfied with the theft of the LA schools. ESPN is not coming with an additional $126.8M a season for the 4 corner schools when it can acquire the tier 1 broadcast rights of the existing Pac-12 schools for, and I am speculating, approximately $25 to 30M per school augmented by income from a streaming entity.

I think Fresno, Boise, and Gonzaga basketball is in the wheelhouse of what the B12's broadcast partners will be willing to pay. And I think it is just as likely for the B12 to add Tulane, Memphis, USF, E. Carolina, for example, than add any Pac-12 school or Mountain West school. These 4 schools would likely sign on with the B12 for a lesser share than the 12 B12 schools.

San Diego State is the media market prize in the Pacific time zone and Baylor/TCU do not want SMU in the B12.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/12/2023 at 1:43 PM, SmithRiverDuck said:

I read as far as it let me. I'm not paying to read Canzano or anyone else. But now I most want to know why Karen Brodkin wasn't hired instead of GK. She seems to have far better qualifications.

Would she have been willing to take a pay cut? I would think she is making more money in her current position than GK is being paid. I agree with you in regard to her qualifications. 

To date, GK has done nothing that was not a no-brainer such as getting the offices and broadcast facilities out of San Francisco. He got played by Kevin Warren, SC, and UCLA. And I have no idea why he needed to add an assistant commissioner and what does Merton Hanks do that a properly programmed computer cannot do? 

• Thumbs Up 2

You can tell a slow news day when the story is about the story’s story.

• Haha 2

We have no idea where negotiations are. The presidents could be negotiating for a better offer, waiting for the lawyers for both sides to finish the contract, or in the process of signing. We just don’t know. 

• Thumbs Up 1