Jon Joseph

PAC-12 Portal Winners

The conference is doing something right.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The Pac-12 is king when it comes to improving via the transfer portal. Which team out west is the best at that game, though?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/11/2023 at 12:05 PM, Jon Joseph said:

The conference is doing something right.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The Pac-12 is king when it comes to improving via the transfer portal. Which team out west is the best at that game, though?

Full disclosure. Having USC and UCLA on the positive side of the ledger does not move my needle.

Not to be a downer, but I read somewhere that something like 90% of transfers land in a less competitive league than the one they started in. In other words… P5 to G5. G5 to FCS, etc. 

So this stat might just be SEC/B1G to Pac12.  Don’t get me wrong, I’ll take it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Thornton to Tennessee, and Swinson to LSU make no sense.  They will play as much there as they did at Oregon!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Eating it as a net gain or loss feels a bit silly to me. Sure there is plenty of talent to be gained by the transfer portal but sometimes a team needs a net loss into the portal to accommodate incoming freshman. 

Stanford, as I have said a million times now, will always be a net loser because they can't bring in much talent due to their academic requirements. 

USC under Lincoln Riley is a meat grinder where they chew up and spit out athletes so fast that they don't look like a program that will be doing much development at all. Come in ready to play or get out. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/12/2023 at 8:45 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Thornton to Tennessee, and Swinson to LSU make no sense.  They will play as much there as they did at Oregon!

I think swinson probably wouldn't have seen the field that much next year without some major leaps and bounds in development. 

Thornton doesn't make any sense at all. He was on the rise big time towards the end of the season.