NJDuck

Dan Lanning Explains Philosophy on Oregon Commits Taking Visits to Other Schools

There is an interesting debate that’s taken place over the past few years when it comes to high school prospects who continue to take recruiting visits to other schools after they’ve already announced their verbal commitment. It’s understandably a topic of conversation that has some real pros and cons, depending on which side of the fence you stand.

On the one hand, some people feel that a prospect, although verbally committed somewhere, should have the opportunity to get out and see as many schools as they can to make sure that they are confident in the choice that they’ve made. As a coach, I suppose it makes sense that you’d want to feel confident that your player is 100% confident in their decision to come to your school.

On the other hand, it feels completely fair that a coach wouldn't want a player who is committed to his team having eyes for other schools.  Many would argue that if you still have an interest in looking at other schools, then you may have committed too early in the first place.

More mentioned in article below with Lanning's philosophy on the matter.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Prospects often continue to take visits after committing to a school. Dan Lanning explained his philosophy on this development.

• Applause 1

Dan did not really give us what his MO is...only that he is not restricting them and continuing to recruit them.  I think some kind of line should be drawn by Oregon sites as to what is a verbal?  If the offensive tackle who verbaled to us is taking eight visits in the future?  That is not a verbal, that is a current preference is all.

A Verbal really isn't in hand...

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

Guaranteed Lanning is calling Duce regularly until he signs in April. I would love to see him come to campus again. 

I would also imagine if a higher rated prospect goes all in on a verbal and a lower ranked verbal is on his 4th official visit after committing, the next call may be, we have moved on.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/3o7btNRptqBgLSKR2w" width="480" height="480" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/latenightseth-whatever-shrug-3o7btNRptqBgLSKR2w">via GIPHY</a></p>

Some of these guys are probably just making connections so that if their first choice doesn't work out , it's easy to transfer the next year.

• Thumbs Up 1

I concur with Lono. Kids are checking places out to have secondary landing spots ready. Also, NIL is part if the issue here as well.

After a year or two, they may get an offer to go elsewhere. That's what happened to OSU's best LB, got $$ and went to LSU.

Finally, I think curiosity and pride are issues too. Wanting to be wanted (and catered to) and wondering about what other programs have.

In the end, you don't want to waste a schollie on a kid who doesn't want to be here.

One last thought, Deion brings a lot of bling with him. Don't blame a kid for being curious about Colorado. 

Heck, I'm curious if he's the real deal.