Jon Joseph

BIG 10 Flames Out Again

The B1G hasn't won an NCAA Tournament since 2000 when Michigan State defeated Florida.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Parsing through the best and worst performances as the second round of the 2023 NCAA Tournament concluded on Sunday

The beat goes on with Michigan State being the only one of 8 B1G Tournament teams to make it to the Sweet 16. I do not think the level of competition in the B1Q in both football and basketball will be that much of an upgrade for the LA schools.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I found this stat to be of interest. 9 of the schools advancing to the Sweet 16 do not have a football team.

• Wow 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hate to admit this but I am so disappointed in college basketball that I haven’t watched a complete game that the Ducks were not involved in this year. I also didn’t invest a dime in it for the first time in like forever. Expansion of the NBA and free agency and the one year spoiled brats now playing the game has deemed it unwatchable.

It’s MHO that college sports are in serious trouble. In 6 years live sports may go away like the rabbit ears. Streaming may be the only option.

The common fan is being priced out and if not for corporate tax wright offs, which may not always be there, the product would already be in serious trouble. We might however be able to afford a ticket.

Thankfully I’m at the age where I may not see the demise of it all but my children just might. As long as the Ducks are still breathing air I will continue to watch but the rest of this stuff has already lost me.

• Thanks 1

On 3/20/2023 at 3:50 PM, Jon Joseph said:

I found this stat to be of interest. 9 of the schools advancing to the Sweet 16 do not have a football team.

Princeton does have a football team but no Ivy League players are attending school on an athletic scholarship. However, many 'student-athletes' receive Pell Grants to help pay their tuition.

This Princeton team reminds me of the Princeton team decades back that made the Final 4 with 'Dollar Bill' Bradley leading the team before moving on to an outstanding NBA career with the NY Knicks.

Indiana's second-round loss leaves Big Ten down to one team in 2023 NCAA Tournament, sparks media scrutiny

BIG TEN DROPPING LIKE FLIES:
There's an element of randomness to the NCAA Tournament that cannot be denied, so judge a conference based off March Madness at your own discretion. But when a league sends eight teams to the NCAAs and only one makes it past the second round, it's pretty clear that you're not the top dog in the country, even if you have the history on the court.

At least the Big Ten has football going for it this school year, as it was the only conference with multiple schools in the playoff. But even that was a bit of a bust, with Ohio State and Michigan — the latter a healthy favorite against TCU — failing to advance past the semifinals.

@Jon Joseph No Princeton team has ever made a final four.  In the 1963-64 season they made the tournament and lost in the 3rd place game for the East Region.

Bill Bradley was awesome that season.  30.5 points and 11.8 rebounds.

On 3/21/2023 at 11:08 AM, Tandaian said:

@Jon Joseph No Princeton team has ever made a final four.  In the 1963-64 season they made the tournament and lost in the 3rd place game for the East Region.

Bill Bradley was awesome that season.  30.5 points and 11.8 rebounds.

Thank you for the correction. I think Penn made the final 4 one year and that is what I was thinking of.

Bradley went on to bedevil my Celtics; he played on some great Knicks teams.

On 3/21/2023 at 9:19 AM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Indiana's second-round loss leaves Big Ten down to one team in 2023 NCAA Tournament, sparks media scrutiny

BIG TEN DROPPING LIKE FLIES:
There's an element of randomness to the NCAA Tournament that cannot be denied, so judge a conference based off March Madness at your own discretion. But when a league sends eight teams to the NCAAs and only one makes it past the second round, it's pretty clear that you're not the top dog in the country, even if you have the history on the court.

At least the Big Ten has football going for it this school year, as it was the only conference with multiple schools in the playoff. But even that was a bit of a bust, with Ohio State and Michigan — the latter a healthy favorite against TCU — failing to advance past the semifinals.

Yes, 2 of 3 teams ranked at the season's end made the playoff with both losing. And Penn State did defeat Utah in the Rose Bowl. But in 2022 the Pac-12 was a far deeper and far more competitive football conference. SEE: B1G W champ Purdue giving up 60+ points to LSU in its bowl game. As well as Wisconsin losing at home to Washington State and UW defeating Michigan State.

I watched Princeton in the final four with Wichita St, UCLA(Gail Goodrich) and Michigan(Cazzie Russell).  It was in Portland at the MC, I believe in 1964.   UCLA won but Princeton’s Bradley was outstanding player, scoring over 50 in both games. Dave Stallworth of Wichita St was absent.  

Actually it was 1965 in Portland 

On 3/21/2023 at 9:01 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Thank you for the correction. I think Penn made the final 4 one year and that is what I was thinking of.

Bradley went on to bedevil my Celtics; he played on some great Knicks teams.

I remember watching great Knicks teams... Dang, I'm old!

I used the B1g's last title in 2000 as one of my major arguments for the habitual overrepresentation of Big Ten teams in the big dance. While the PAC-12 is not routinely overrepresented there, y'all might not crow too loudly about terrible underrepresentation either. Check the data for the last NCAA Men's basketball champ from the conference. Hint: Unless I am forgetting somebody, it was last century!

• Thumbs Up 1