FishDuck Article

The Oregon Ducks Offense: Will Stein’s Heavy Veer

Though Coach Will Stein’s scheme is chalk-full of Spread Offense elements, it should not be lost that it is also built around key Pro-Style components...

FISHDUCK.COM

Though Coach Will Stein's scheme is chalk-full of Spread Offense elements, it should not be lost that it is also built around key Pro-Style...
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Thanks Coach Eric, it's always great to read your analysis articles!  They are much appreciated since we've had our share of new offensive coordinators.

With a QB like Bo Nix and receivers like Franklin, the slant pass to the Wide Receiver is open.  The DB is head up giving away the inside.  Many RPO options available.

Spring practices will continue to reveal more of Will Stein's offense.  Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks Coach, as that is a great play to allow the RB to find the hole in short-yardage.  We appreciate your work!

Jordan James punching through at the goal line...

Jordan James TD by JT.JPG

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 3/27/2023 at 2:05 AM, FishDuck Article said:

also built around key Pro-Style components.

As usual, great analysis!  I love every one of these articles, I can't get enough X's and O's.  The two things I love about the Heavy Veer:

1) The QB hands off the ball in short yardage

2) It can be run with three TE's as we currently only have three scholarship TEs.

If Oregon's new O-line this year can execute the run blocking then I would expect this to be a new short yardage staple.  The 14J unfortunately requires more TE's than we have on the roster unless we give the walk-ons game time in key short yardage situations or get creative with positions. 

Short yardage gains is an area where we need to see some creative play design or we risk having to use a high mix of the QB sneak to keep our 3rd/4th down and red zone percentages up.

To keep this play in the high percentages Oregon is going to need mutliple looks from this formation to keep the DB's from rushing to the gaps without a post snap read.  I'm interested in what the multiples look like from this formation?

Edited by Duck Fan 76
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 3/27/2023 at 11:54 AM, Duck Fan 76 said:

As usual, great analysis!  I love every one of these articles, I can't get enough X's and O's.  The two things I love about the Heavy Veer:

1) The QB hands off the ball in short yardage

2) It can be run with three TE's as we currently only have three scholarship TEs.

If Oregon's new O-line this year can execute the run blocking then I would expect this to be a new short yardage staple.  The 14J unfortunately requires more TE's than we have on the roster unless we give the walk-ons game time in key short yardage situations or get creative with positions. 

Short yardage gains is an area where we need to see some creative play design or we risk having to use a high mix of the QB sneak to keep our 3rd/4th down and red zone percentages up.

To keep this play in the high percentages Oregon is going to need mutliple looks from this formation to keep the DB's from rushing to the gaps without a post snap read.  I'm interested in what the multiples look like from this formation?

There is a ton they can do from this formation. Anything that a team like say Stanford could do out of their 22-personnel, Oregon could do out of this one in addition to the option game. 

And a quick note on the 14J; it only uses three TEs also. Conerly comes in to play an in-line TE spot, but it’s really a 6 OL formation. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/27/2023 at 9:37 AM, Smith72 said:

Thanks Coach Eric, it's always great to read your analysis articles!  They are much appreciated since we've had our share of new offensive coordinators.

With a QB like Bo Nix and receivers like Franklin, the slant pass to the Wide Receiver is open.  The DB is head up giving away the inside.  Many RPO options available.

Spring practices will continue to reveal more of Will Stein's offense.  Go Ducks!

You’re right, there’s a ton that they could run from this formation. 

On 3/27/2023 at 9:40 AM, Coach Eric Boles said:

Conerly comes in to play an in-line TE spot

Wow, it didn't even occur to me that Ferguson wasn't in the 14J.  Thanks for correcting me!  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/27/2023 at 1:20 PM, Duck Fan 76 said:

Wow, it didn't even occur to me that Ferguson wasn't in the 14J.  Thanks for correcting me!  

The 14 in the name of the formation is a little misleading, because when we see it we’re thinking 14-personnel and 4 TEs.

• Go Ducks! 1

On 3/28/2023 at 12:25 PM, Coach Eric Boles said:

The 14 in the name of the formation is a little misleading, because when we see it we’re thinking 14-personnel and 4 TEs.

Yup, it didn't even occur to me that 14 in this context wasn't a 4 TE set.  I wish I had better resources to watch film, it kills me to try and study plays with the horrible TV camera angles provided.  I'm sure it's somehow optimal for casual watching but there so much game missed when we zoom in at weird angles or cut away to random stuff.  Watching the games live is great for a lot of things but I miss a lot of nuance that I like to check on film.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for sharing your insights, and the work you have done to bring it to light for us, bravo!

• Thumbs Up 1

Those of us who are old enough to remember the Veer Offense in the Don Read days shudder just a bit at the thought.

Wow, how lucky we are to have you bringing us your insights, thank you!

I have to admit, you had me at 'The Oregon Ducks Offense.' 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/30/2023 at 7:14 AM, Haywarduck said:

Wow, how lucky we are to have you bringing us your insights, thank you!

I have to admit, you had me at 'The Oregon Ducks Offense.' 

Thanks! They’re always fun writes. 

On 3/29/2023 at 9:37 PM, TexasDuck said:

Those of us who are old enough to remember the Veer Offense in the Don Read days shudder just a bit at the thought.

13C838B3-A30D-4B0D-8F6A-43C33611C584.gif.de52e95ebe6e83dd168f4681dff2f06f.gif