NJDuck

Canzano: Bring on the Invite for San Diego State

John Canzano is echoing the same as Jon Wilner (posted on the forum).  Pac-12 should not wait.

It would be out of character and off brand for the Pac-12 to seize on the momentum of the Aztecs NCAA Tournament run and extend an immediate invitation to join the conference this week.

The Pac-12 presidents and chancellors are mindful of optics. They respect tradition and observe etiquette. The old-guard leadership wouldn’t be caught dead trying to draft off San Diego State’s basketball success.

That said, they should totally do it. 

This is no time for the “new” Pac-12 to act like the “old” Pac-12. The conference shouldn’t wait another week (or month). It should just invite San Diego State now and end the charade. 

The Aztecs are a no-brainer for the Pac-12. San Diego State has the academics, culture and Pacific Time Zone geography. It would also add 1.1 million television households in a region where the Pac-12 badly needs it.

WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

Pac-12 should not wait.

• Thumbs Up 2

He had a great paragraph at the end....

"The highly seeded teams (of March Madness) lost and were eliminated. That’s how a single-elimination tournament works. This has been an amazing event. If you prefer a college postseason with a limited field that is stacked in favor of the high seeds… one that goes out of its way to ensure that the most successful, highest-ranked regular-season teams make it to the championship… you still have college football and its four-team invitational tournament."

Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!  Yet so true...

March Madness shows us how excitement is created, and while I am delighted with a 12 team CFB Playoff, I am open to 16.  (and no more)

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

I think the Pac should just grab SD St and pick one: UNLV, Fresno St, SMU, CSU. Then I think they should extend invites for the B12 Texas schools for when their contract is up.

In six years, the Pac could extend down the west coast and over to Texas and regularly have close to a third of the top 25 teams in all the major sports with all the best Western media markets locked up. That should garner a legit contract for the next negotiation cycle. Heck, UCLA may even come crawling back at that point.

• Thumbs Up 1

I already made the call but no one would listen to me.🤣

UCLA will never come crawling back. The B1G is a lifetime guarantee of relevance at the big boy table for the Bruins. 

On 3/27/2023 at 1:46 PM, Rufus said:

UCLA will never come crawling back. The B1G is a lifetime guarantee of relevance at the big boy table for the Bruins. 

I'd say the B1G provides more a lifetime of losing playoff football and mediocre basketball, the latter of which may seem attractive to an historically good program like the Bruins.