Jump to content
David Marsh

SPOILERS! "Playoff Conversation"

Recommended Posts

Well... Looks pretty uninteresting so far. 

It turns out Alabama is better than Notre Dame.

Clemson v Ohio State should be a bit more interesting but I do expect Clemson to win as they have played more games this year and have gained more experience for their players. 

I guess we get to wait and see.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Alabama has been more than kind to the Domers in this one. They haven't broken a sweat. I can't stand either Clemson or thee Ohio State. Simply to keep Alabama- Clemson from having as many sequels as, "Rocky". it would be nice if the Buckeyes won. But I think more likely Clemson treats the Buckeyes the same way Alabama treated ND, and wins by however much they want to. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, 30Duck said:

Alabama has been more than kind to the Domers in this one. They haven't broken a sweat. I can't stand either Clemson or thee Ohio State. Simply to keep Alabama- Clemson from having as many sequels as, "Rocky". it would be nice if the Buckeyes won. But I think more likely Clemson treats the Buckeyes the same way Alabama treated ND, and wins by however much they want to. 

If there wasn't a pandemic going on right now I'd be doing other things today. As I'm home and not doing anything I'm paying more attention than normal. 

Though I completely agree I don't want to see more alabama v clemson... It's boring for anyone who isn't a bama and clemson fan. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, David Marsh said:

It's boring for anyone who isn't a bama and clemson fan

THIS is what's so awful about the "Invitational". It's bad enough that it has created a post season where only fans of the teams playing in the NY6 Bowls care about them. They can't see that having Alabama- Clemson, year after year is a problem!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw the viewership ratings a year ago of the top playoff bowl games... The games Oregon was involved in, also the first playoff games as well, are still pretty high up on the list. 

Shocking I know that has interesting teams make for higher viewership. 

Last year's viewership was up I believe because LSU was not Bama so it was something different. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ohio State is up in the second quarter... Pulling for ohio state here because it would really shut up Sweeney after he personally ranked Ohio State at 11 in the coaches poll. 

I'm not a big ohio state fan ny any stretch of the imagination but I like ohio state a lot more than Clemson at this point. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Fields is a warrior. Much respect for that guy. That helmet to the ribs was brutal to watch. Have to say I want OSU to continue to put the hurt on Clemson.

Link to post
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Drake said:

Fields is a warrior. Much respect for that guy. That helmet to the ribs was brutal to watch. Have to say I want OSU to continue to put the hurt on Clemson.

Second half is turning into a shootout ... But if that's the case Clemson can't win it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I sure didn't see this coming! I can't believe I'm actually glad that Ohio State is winning, Leading up to the game, Dabo wasn't mincing words, he seriously questioned if Ohio State should be in the Playoffs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Jon Joseph said:

I will be in Ohio State's corner vs Bama. 

That's impressive, Jon. I can't believe I'm happy that Ohio State is beating Clemson, there is no way I can actually go in to a game wanting them to win. So, it'll be. "Roll, Tide"! from me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, 30Duck said:

That's impressive, Jon. I can't believe I'm happy that Ohio State is beating Clemson, there is no way I can actually go in to a game wanting them to win. So, it'll be. "Roll, Tide"! from me. 

Right now I am just happy that ohio state is spanking Clemson. There is a certain smugness around the Clemson program and seeing them lose is wonderful. 

When it comes to the title game... I wish no one could win but if I have to pick then.... I don't care who wins. 

Oregon gets a shot at Ohio State at the start of next year so we will have to see how that goes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, 30Duck said:

THIS is what's so awful about the "Invitational". It's bad enough that it has created a post season where only fans of the teams playing in the NY6 Bowls care about them. They can't see that having Alabama- Clemson, year after year is a problem!


Did you really believe the results would differ in an expanded playoff?  
Florida?  No

Cinci? Absolutely not.

Georgia? Did you see Bama dismantle them last time?

What teams are in the stratosphere like  Bama, Clemson and Ohio State?

Its boring because nobody can take the throne from these guys.  
 

I’m actually converted.  I want to see 8-12 teams.  Because maybe just maybe, people will acknowledge just how far ahead the  top two to three are ahead of everyone else.  
 

it’s time to give Cinderella her shoes.  And glitter dress.  So we can see if style beats substance.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, David Marsh said:

There is a certain smugness around the Clemson program

Exactly. Clemson is the main reason I can't stand The Invitational.  Before the season starts, They Know, "They Are In". This season they lost, not a problem. Even idf ND had beaten them again, they would have been in. Boise State didn't even get a chance when they were dominating from the Mountain West. But Clemson from the ACC, that's totally different. Why? ESPN. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, 30Duck said:

Exactly. Clemson is the main reason I can't stand The Invitational.  Before the season starts, They Know, "They Are In". This season they lost, not a problem. Even idf ND had beaten them again, they would have been in. Boise State didn't even get a chance when they were dominating from the Mountain West. But Clemson from the ACC, that's totally different. Why? ESPN. 

Alabama doesn't even have that level of entitlement. They know they have to win their conference to get there.... However, that is not always the case... But Bama does have to actually play teams that can occasionally out up a fight. 

Also Bama got burned last year against LSU so they have had a dose of humility recently. 

All Clemson has to do is win out in a conference that doesn't have much of a football pulse. 

It will be interesting to see what Notre Dame does going forward after their one year expiriment with a conference. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Mike West said:

Its boring because nobody can take the throne from these guys.  
 

I’m actually converted.  I want to see 8-12 teams.  Because maybe just maybe, people will acknowledge just how far ahead the  top two to three are ahead of everyone else.  

I have no illusion about how much better the top 5 or 6 teams are. It's the matter in which ESPN presents the farce that is the Playoffs, that is the most irritating. The Committee doesn't do anything. They aren't watching all the games. Their Top 25 exists only to fill time. Everybody knows who Is IN.

 I detest everything about, the Eye Test. Would this team beat that team? Play the game.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mike West said:


Did you really believe the results would differ in an expanded playoff?  
Florida?  No

Cinci? Absolutely not.

Georgia? Did you see Bama dismantle them last time?

What teams are in the stratosphere like  Bama, Clemson and Ohio State?

Its boring because nobody can take the throne from these guys.  
 

I’m actually converted.  I want to see 8-12 teams.  Because maybe just maybe, people will acknowledge just how far ahead the  top two to three are ahead of everyone else.  
 

it’s time to give Cinderella her shoes.  And glitter dress.  So we can see if style beats substance.

 

I think an expanded playoff could start to break up the status quo a little bit... 

Because it changes from... "If you want to win a national championship 5-star recruit you need to go to Bama or Clemson or Ohio State" ....

To 

"5-star recruit if you want to compete for a national championship you need to be on a team that wins their conference." 

Once we get to auto bids for conference champions talent won't condense onto a couple of teams but spread out a bit. 

This is NOT a short term solution. Even if it were to happen next year (which it won't) it will take four or five years for things to break up.

LSU winning last year I think gave the invitational a bit of a shock... Not too much of one they were still an SEC team... But it wasn't Bama or Clemson who won which sent the message of if IF you can get enough talent and the right scheme things can happen. 

A very very long ways off from seeing this status quo break up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, David Marsh said:

I think an expanded playoff could start to break up the status quo a little bit... 

Because it changes from... "If you want to win a national championship 5-star recruit you need to go to Bama or Clemson or Ohio State" ....

To 

"5-star recruit if you want to compete for a national championship you need to be on a team that wins their conference." 

Once we get to auto bids for conference champions talent won't condense onto a couple of teams but spread out a bit. 

This is NOT a short term solution. Even if it were to happen next year (which it won't) it will take four or five years for things to break up.

LSU winning last year I think gave the invitational a bit of a shock... Not too much of one they were still an SEC team... But it wasn't Bama or Clemson who won which sent the message of if IF you can get enough talent and the right scheme things can happen. 

A very very long ways off from seeing this status quo break up. 

David Marsh makes a good comment here saying "A very very long ways off from seeing this status quo break up". So true and my question is "will the Pac-12 even be around when that time comes" ??

Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, David Marsh said:

I think an expanded playoff could start to break up the status quo a little bit... 

Because it changes from... "If you want to win a national championship 5-star recruit you need to go to Bama or Clemson or Ohio State" ....

To 

"5-star recruit if you want to compete for a national championship you need to be on a team that wins their conference." 

Once we get to auto bids for conference champions talent won't condense onto a couple of teams but spread out a bit. 

This is NOT a short term solution. Even if it were to happen next year (which it won't) it will take four or five years for things to break up.

LSU winning last year I think gave the invitational a bit of a shock... Not too much of one they were still an SEC team... But it wasn't Bama or Clemson who won which sent the message of if IF you can get enough talent and the right scheme things can happen. 

A very very long ways off from seeing this status quo break up. 

 

17 hours ago, David Marsh said:

I think an expanded playoff could start to break up the status quo a little bit... 

Because it changes from... "If you want to win a national championship 5-star recruit you need to go to Bama or Clemson or Ohio State" ....

To 

"5-star recruit if you want to compete for a national championship you need to be on a team that wins their conference." 

Once we get to auto bids for conference champions talent won't condense onto a couple of teams but spread out a bit. 

This is NOT a short term solution. Even if it were to happen next year (which it won't) it will take four or five years for things to break up.

LSU winning last year I think gave the invitational a bit of a shock... Not too much of one they were still an SEC team... But it wasn't Bama or Clemson who won which sent the message of if IF you can get enough talent and the right scheme things can happen. 

A very very long ways off from seeing this status quo break up. 

I would agree with you if NLI weren’t coming to town.  The coaches that can build depth year by year will win.  You have three elite staffs and respective deep, stables that will be tough to compete with.  I guarantee you, name brands will still sell.  Even worse, one conference stands out so much above the rest on every level, it’s only going to get tougher.  
 

Unfortunately for us, I think last year was our peak for quite awhile.  I know exactly what I would do do put serious breaks in Oregon’s recruiting effectiveness.  If I know, you know damn well the elite know.  And Oregon is more name brand than Iowa State, whom has to compete with Iowa (who gets Big 10 crumbs).  SEC teams are only going to get stronger.   Which will,diminish teams like Oregon, Cinci, Central Florida, and the second tier teams.  Florida, a Georgia, LSU and A&M are going to start “stealing talent” from the next tier.  
 

I definitely don’t see it in my lifetime, because depth matters in football far more than March Madness luck.  Strength, Power and Speed isn’t that deep in football.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...
Top