Smith72

Coach Will Stein: Insight Into His Coaching Philosophy

Four Strong Flag concept vs man coverage.

Interesting teaching points.  I'm really liking his philosophy.  The whip pattern (our coaching staff called it a swirl) versus man with quick receivers is  an awesome route.  I also liked his comments about ball security and not going out of bounds.

Enjoy the video.  Spring practices continue next week!  Yay!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I really like that he's focusing on route running and not tipping your hand to the DB. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1

Ball security 

• Thumbs Up 1

Coach Stein has one of the better QBs in the country available to him to run his offense. Nix coming back is huge and Stein’s offense should put numbers on the scoreboard. 

Since we don’t have the “neutral site” game with the National Champions to break in the new coach this season, Stein, and the new OL gets one game, and subsequent film review to work out some of the inevitable kinks. 

Be nice to have Nix, receivers, and our RBs put up some big numbers this season. That would definitely attract the attention of the top recruits in those positions. 

Look forward to the Spring game. 

Edited by Drake
  • Thumbs Up 3

Near the end of the video Coach Stein comments, "Coach Kitley really has his team greased up...  We need to keep scoring.  We need every point we can get..."

When the team you're playing is hot and scoring it's best to keep scoring.  It is not the time to slow down, go conservative, and try to hold on to your slim lead.

I like this philosophy.  I'm excited with Coach Stein as Oregon's offensive coordinator.

• Applause 1

On 4/1/2023 at 4:32 PM, Smith72 said:

When the team you're playing is hot and scoring it's best to keep scoring.  It is not the time to slow down, go conservative, and try to hold on to your slim lead.

I don't thing Mario would agree, my heart thanks the new coaching staff for giving me less computations.

• Applause 1

On 4/1/2023 at 2:32 PM, Smith72 said:

Near the end of the video Coach Stein comments, "Coach Kitley really has his team greased up...  We need to keep scoring.  We need every point we can get..."

I like this philosophy.  I'm excited with Coach Stein as Oregon's offensive coordinator.

Morning music to my ears!

• Thanks 1

He is like Chip Kelly, but not.  Like Chip Kelly he wants to use "Core Plays at Key Moments" so there is less chance of error.  But unlike Chip Kelly, Will Stein is quite a bit more innovative and willing to throw the ball when the first down is needed.

My axiom; "First downs at the end of the game are as important as touchdowns earlier in the game.  Without both you don't win..."

THANKS to Coach Smith for posting this!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

His attention to route sequence and end-of-play details (head/shoulder position, ball security and getting yards after catch) say a lot about what he is focused on: winning.

• Thumbs Up 2