Jon Joseph

The Pac-10's 'Friend' is at it Again

SSDD from 'friend' DD.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Time continues to run out on the conference finding a viable option for exposure on linear television

Dennis Dodd is relentless in his effort to derail the new Pac-10 media deal. My guess? He's still ticked off at the Pac-12 not adding orphaned B12 teams and having the hubris at the time it decided not to expand to call the conference an 'Elite Club.'

USC president Carol Folt led the resistance to expansion and recently soon thereafter told the conference to get lost, Troy is off to the B1G.Wicked Witch Lol GIF by NBC

How great would it be if streaming takes off and the Pac-Whatever scores big not B1G, money?

• Haha 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Considering we have less than 8 months until the END of the 2023-24 football season, and zero news coming out of the Kliavkoff camp, I see every reason to at least be pessimistic about the outcome. There hasn't been a time in recent memory where a conference has taken a media rights deal down this close to the wire. This feels like the last 5 minute of the movie Draft Day. Hopefully GK has some Kevin Costner in him...

• Thumbs Up 2

I’m not optimistic at all. I keep going over and over in my head all of the mistakes the PAC has made over the past 15 years.  Every time I think about it, the list becomes longer. I should start a thread on this topic.  

• Yikes! 1

On 4/5/2023 at 3:21 PM, Rufus said:

I’m not optimistic at all. I keep going over and over in my head all of the mistakes the PAC has made over the past 15 years.  Every time I think about it, the list becomes longer. I should start a thread on this topic.  

Start with falling for SEC commissioner Roy Kramer's pitch that CFB needed 1 True Champion and equating the Rose Bowl with the Peach Bowl for zero compensation. 

Compare the SEC to where it was financially before the BCS and today. Ditto the Pac-10. Killing the Run For The Roses with the 'help' of the B1G was the beginning of student-athlete becoming athlete-student.

This was on Tom Hansen and not Larry Scott.

• Great post! 1

I started a thread. Feel free to make that the first reply!  😁

Hi Jon. Thank you for posting this article. NJDuck and I were going to post this, but you beat us to it.

I take a different view than you on this article. Yes, it is an article from Dennis Dodd, but I hope that isn't the reason for people not reading it. The source used in this article is Jim Williams, President of Media Strategies and Solutions in Los Angeles and not from an east coast company. The opinions expressed by Mr. Williams is the story of this article and I find them to be credible. Actually, what Williams expressed is much like what I have read/heard recently from many others in the industry.

In my opinion, readers on OBDF should be offered viewpoints from various sources, whether we agree with them or not. It's what is necessary for an informed decision making process. Everyone has opinions on writers as I have also read where some refer to Canzano and Wilner as PAC-12 "homers."

Getting back to the article, I find it hard to disagree with the following...

Williams, however, decided to go on the record with comments being repeated throughout the sports media industry: The Pac-12 may be running out of time in getting most of its content seen on a major linear carrier.

"I'm at an absolute loss how NBC, CBS, ESPN, ABC or Fox gets [the Pac-12] to 50 [percent] linear," said Williams, a Washington D.C.-based, seven-time Emmy Award-winning producer who helped develop five different regional sports networks throughout a career that began in 1977.

The interesting part of the article was towards the end where Williams did offer a possible solution... 

Short of a major linear carrier, Williams sees value in both ION and the CW networks. ION, owned by Scripps Co., is a general entertainment network that is in 37 of the top 50 markets, and was mentioned early in the process by Action Network as having conversations with the Pac-12.

The CW is majority owned by Nexstar Media Group. The group of stations reportedly reaches 100% of U.S. television markets, providing 14 hours of primetime programming per week. Its most notable sports property currently is LIV Golf.

"They could get there with ION or get there with CW," Williams said of the Pac-12. "Personally, if I were talking to one of these presidents, I would have zero problem with CW. They've got legacy television stations all over the country."

FWIW, these are just my opinions.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Williams sees value in both ION and the CW networks.

Well, I get both ION and CW already, so, selfishly, I can say that at least I'd have no problem seeing the games.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/5/2023 at 4:59 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

The interesting part of the article was towards the end where Williams did offer a possible solution... 

Short of a major linear carrier, Williams sees value in both ION and the CW networks. ION, owned by Scripps Co., is a general entertainment network that is in 37 of the top 50 markets, and was mentioned early in the process by Action Network as having conversations with the Pac-12.

The CW is majority owned by Nexstar Media Group. The group of stations reportedly reaches 100% of U.S. television markets, providing 14 hours of primetime programming per week. Its most notable sports property currently is LIV Golf.

"They could get there with ION or get there with CW," Williams said of the Pac-12. "Personally, if I were talking to one of these presidents, I would have zero problem with CW. They've got legacy television stations all over the country."

I agree with your comments.  Williams is a credible source, worth warranted in reading his thoughts on this matter.  My hope, he is proven wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can remember when Pac-10/Early Pac-12 (pre Pac 12 Network) games were on shown Versus TV and Root circa 2009. As a young college student in those days, even I felt like it was a slight against the conference by having a large portion of games broadcast on these channels. The production quality was subpar and it felt second rate compared to Big 12, BIG, and SEC games being shown on ABC, ESPN, FOX. 

ION and CW are not going to raise the needle for viewership or give the PAC equal footing with the other Power 5 conferences. Games will be sandwiched in between episodes of Walker: Independence and The 100 (Look at the shows on both channels 😬. The only people that will be watching games on these channels will be those of us who "have to" rather than those of us who "want to". It won't grow the brand or attract new viewers. It will unceremoniously kill it

If the conference is doomed then let it die (I'd rather see Oregon play Rutgers on FOX than Cal on ION). Don't give it the Brett Favre treatment.

I’m not "giving" any clicks to Dodd. He has an anti-PAC agenda and I’m not helping him by giving him my attention. I’ll pass on reading this article. 

Edited by lownslowav8r

On 4/6/2023 at 2:37 AM, lownslowav8r said:

I’m not "giving" any clicks to Dodd. He has an anti-PAC agenda and I’m not helping him by giving him my attention. I’ll pass on reading this article. 

Yo Comprende. As I noted and how can you help not to do so SSDD by DD,

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 1