Pennsylvania Duck

Canzano: Oregon Ducks Should Welcome the Bronny James Show

No. No. No. No.

Don't we have enough problems?

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

Bronny James discusses potential of playing with Oregon PG Jackson Shelstad

There are two high school players whose names hold incredible weight in Oregon Ducks basketball circles at the moment. One of them is a signee of the Ducks’ 2023 class; the other is a prospective signee who seemingly has the entire college basketball news cycle in the palm of his hand.

Jackson Shelstad and Bronny James are hot topics of conversation this week at the Nike Hoops Summit in Portland, Oregon. While Shelstad, the 4-star Oregon signee is making waves with his play on the court, it is James who stole the show off of it, giving his first media availability in seemingly forever.

A lot of ground was covered in that interview...

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

“He’s a cool dude, we talk about Oregon and stuff. I like his game a lot. Everyone likes to play with a good point guard who can make...

I'm not sure how much of a "circus" Bronny would be.  However, I'm pretty sure it would increase attendance.  I know I'd show up for some games.

• Thumbs Up 1

We've been talking about how programs need more promotion...Well, Bronny would be a promotion machine! 

• Thumbs Up 2

I would be just fine without Bronny and his quite insincere, self-promoting, PED-guzzling father around the program.

• Applause 1

If winning isn't an option, hype will have to do.

Bill Oram: If Bronny James wants to make his own name, then Oregon is the perfect place for him

Nate Bittle has played for Dana Altman for two years. A former five-star recruit from Central Point, Bittle knows exactly how demanding the Ducks coach can be.

“Everybody there got to work for a spot,” Bittle said. “There ain’t no easy spots with Coach Altman.”

That is what makes the University of Oregon the perfect place for Bronny James.

The oldest son of LeBron James has been in Portland this week to play in Saturday’s Nike Hoop Summit, the showcase for top high school prospects. That’s where Bittle encountered him on Friday, playing on a team assembled to scrimmage against the stars of tomorrow.

This is a well written article from Bill Oram as to why the Ducks might be the perfect fit for Bronny. He brings out some perspectives I hadn't read before. A recommended read...

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

The oldest son of LeBron James will always get attention for his name, but it is unfair to assume Bronny would be more distraction...

I haven’t watched Bronny play and don’t know anything about his character/work ethic but I believe that Altman needs to get back to recruiting players who put the team before themselves, are willing to work/play hard, are coach able, are good teammates and representatives of the University of Oregon, and are willing to play for Oregon for 3-4 years.

Maybe that means a roster full of 3 and 4 star players with an occasional 5 star who is a good fit. Whatever he has been trying to do the past 2-3 years has not been working. 

If Bronny fits the above mold, then I would welcome him to Eugene. If not, I wish him well elsewhere. 

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Applause 1

Surprisingly I actually like the move, I think this kid will have work ethic, profession, overall great sense of the game. He's a dangerous three-point shooter which has been lacking the last 2 years. ( By the way Peyton put up a triple double today!)

Like it or not it's all about the Brand now. This would raise the profile of the University of Oregon and add to their media rights perceived value. Ultimately raising the profile of the University of Oregon athletic programs. 

I don't know why but I get the feeling that this will not end up like the Balls in UCLA, unlike some five-star players he has more to prove and could be a solid three to four year contributor.

We lacked depth in multi-year players that have always driven the program in the past. That combined with the media exposure good or bad drives the desirability of the organ media market higher.

I don't like it but it seems to be the way it is now, just look at the University of Colorado.

Seems like I read an article quoting an Oregon recruit who stated that he and James were discussing Altman's "team first style" in a very positive manner.

Aaron Heisen: Covering Bronny compares to nothing

I witnessed something I had never seen before on Saturday at the Nike Hoops Summit game in Portland. 

In my two-year career as a sports journalist, I’ve had the privilege of covering the World Athletic Championships in my college town. I’ve traveled to Atlanta, San Diego and now Portland to cover nationally publicized sporting events and athletes. 

Never have I ever seen anyone or anything covered like Bronny James is. 

When I say this you have to realize that for the most part, James doesn’t create his own narrative. Athletes rarely do. Unless, of course, you’re Bronny’s dad, LeBron James. Sure, Bronny has some say in waiting to announce his recruiting decision. But he didn’t ask to be LeBron’s son.

He didn’t ask to grow up being followed by bodyguards, or having his every move scrutinized by the media. 

It’s these things that make me question the narrative itself. Any journalist chronicling Bronny needs to really stop and think before they hit submit or publish. It’s important to realize no kid has ever been in the position he is, dealing with what he has to deal with...

Click here to read the rest of the story in The Daily Emerald.

The only drawback for Bronny, is he likely is a one and done regardless of if he truly is ready for the NBA.  Lebron says he wants to play basketball with his son.  Just about any team would be willing to draft Bronny to have Lebron for a couple of years.

On 4/10/2023 at 9:36 AM, Tandaian said:

The only drawback for Bronny, is he likely is a one and done regardless of if he truly is ready for the NBA.  Lebron says he wants to play basketball with his son.  Just about any team would be willing to draft Bronny to have Lebron for a couple of years.

That would be a shame for Bronny, from what I've seen he's going to need to make a big jump to be NBA ready. Even if he did get on the NBA team would they play him? The team dynamic would be very interesting and talk about a distraction. 

He's going to need two to three years minimum of college to get ready for the big league otherwise he's just jeopardizing his career. Then again I guess he doesn't need the money so if your ultimate goal is to practice and maybe play at the professional level with your old man then all the power to them.

I haven't gotten the I'm NBA  ready vibe from him unlike many of the five-star recruits.