Pennsylvania Duck

Sources: Big Ten to Hire Tony Petitti as Next Commissioner

The Big Ten is expected to hire former MLB and television executive Tony Petitti as the conference's next commissioner, sources told ESPN. An announcement is expected in the upcoming days.

Petitti emerged from a group of finalists that interviewed in the past 48 hours and was selected Tuesday after a vote of the league's presidents and chancellors, sources said. Petitti brings a diverse background in both sports and media.

He is the former COO of Major League Baseball, where he succeeded current MLB commissioner Rob Manfred in that role in 2015.

His media experience comes from working for ABC Sports, CBS and the MLB Network. His work with college sports includes helping create the Bowl Championship Series back when he was with ABC and working with the NCAA tournament while at CBS. He also worked extensively with the NFL while at CBS.

WWW.ESPN.COM

The Big Ten is expected to hire former MLB and television executive Tony Petitti, sources told ESPN, continuing the trend of...

Still hoping he somehow brings Oregon and Washington to the Big Ten.

• Thumbs Up 1

The interesting thing about the Big Ten hiring a former TV exec is that theoretically the TV stuff is behind them for 7 years. Unless of course they're planning to add more schools (cough, cough, Oregon & Washington) and need to package another rights deal sooner.

On 4/12/2023 at 1:56 AM, Thomallister1291 said:

Still hoping he somehow brings Oregon and Washington to the Big Ten.

Not me.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 4/12/2023 at 3:39 AM, Steven A said:

Not me.

AMEN! I am an old grey beard and I can see new tech, streaming, etc.' ultimately replacing linear TV. 

Streaming today is in the infancy of what we will see a decade from now. 

Everything will be AI voice commanded and controlled. Games will be available to be viewed 24/7 +.

We are at the 'Jules Verne' stage of what was once called Television. And we are here today before quantum physics allows us to be at any place in the stadium while watching sports holographically.

Taking a 'risk' on streaming today is IMO a well-calculated risk. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/12/2023 at 4:25 PM, Jon Joseph said:

And we are here today before quantum physics allows us to be at any place in the stadium while watching sports holographically.

Imagine how the Athletic Department could sell "holographic seats" in the stadium?  Be there, and part of the crowd perhaps while at home...anywhere in the world?

I can't picture it.  But in 1969 I could not picture a communicator on Star Trek becoming real either.

Star Trek's Starfleet Communicator | Star Trek

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck