Jon Joseph

Transfer Portal Update - College Football Roster Management is Chaotic

Look at the number of players who signed on to a new team the day they entered the portal and try to argue that roster tampering is not happening.

WWW.ESPN.COM

College football coaches and personnel directors struggled to navigate the chaos of the first transfer portal window, and a solution isn't clear-cut.

Flying Star Trek GIF

Yeah, it seems as if tampering is SOP in some quarters. The Dawgs lost a projected starter on the DL to the portal this morning, and two likely landing spots became known immediately  (both presently outside the SEC and one in  LA--guess who?). There is a lot of back channel communications going on, some of it involving NIL bags that exceed what players are making in their current locations. 

Pro football has strong rules against tampering and teams that ignore them are penalized. Why is it different for college ball?  I don't know  but suspect it stems from the lack of formal contracts for the pay that college players receive.  

I am certainly not against college players using the portal to  extricate themselves from a situation they find intolerable. But at  least let the kid make that decision for himself before the vultures swoop in to make their pitches--this is how the portal is supposed to work!

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/16/2023 at 1:33 AM, Nevada Dawg said:

Yeah, it seems as if tampering is SOP in some quarters. The Dawgs lost a projected starter on the DL to the portal this morning, and two likely landing spots became known immediately  (both presently outside the SEC and one in  LA--guess who?). There is a lot of back channel communications going on, some of it involving NIL bags that exceed what players are making in their current locations. 

Pro football has strong rules against tampering and teams that ignore them are penalized. Why is it different for college ball?  I don't know  but suspect it stems from the lack of formal contracts for the pay that college players receive.  

I am certainly not against college players using the portal to  extricate themselves from a situation they find intolerable. But at  least let the kid make that decision for himself before the vultures swoop in to make their pitches--this is how the portal is supposed to work!

ND, great post. As I noted elsewhere with the DL Georgia transfer Riley will have taken in good to excellent players from the ACC, B12, Pac-12 and it looks like the SEC.

He took 3 starters from Arizona in the first portal opening, including the Wildcats' best receiver, Singer.

My guess? This kind of stuff will not be welcome if he goes after B1G players starting in 2024.

If this was the NFL, the Trojans would be out of draft picks for the next decade.

Thanks Jon. I didn't know about the extent of USC's tampering, but it has given me motivation for rooting  against them in every game they play. I didn't like the negative recruiting Riley was doing as coach of Oklahoma, and his solicitations since his transfer to USC are even worse IMHO.

I  am  already looking  forward, should I live that long, to facing the Trojans in the playoffs. And I certainly hope that the Ducks have the privilege of ruining their last  season in the PAC-12.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I find it odd that it isn't tampering if it isn't a school coach contacting the player or players family.  It is usually a booster contacting somebody just outside the players family circle.

On 4/17/2023 at 10:56 AM, Tandaian said:

I find it odd that it isn't tampering if it isn't a school coach contacting the player or players family.  It is usually a booster contacting somebody just outside the players family circle.

Which makes it so hard to prove.

Tampering does happen on occasion in the NFL with a player in his last season prior to being a free agent but improper contact is internally and diligently policed and punished with the loss of draft picks and fines.

Pat Narduzzi at Pitt was right about SC 'stealing' Addison but Riley after paying players for years at Oklahoma before NIL is not going to directly tamper.

And Troy Dye? I get that his fiancee probably wanted to be closer to home but I'd love to know the details of Dye's, USC NIL deal(s.) 

Heading into the 2023 season the guy with a big beef against SC is Arizona HC Fisch. 3 of his starters including one of if not the best WR in the conference, Singer, transferred to SC. SC treated AZ like the Yankees did the once-upon-a-time Kansas City Athletics. Heading into the post-season KC owner Charlie Finley almost also 'sold' (traded) a few of his best players to the Yankees.

Nothing new under the Sun.

• Wow 1

On 4/17/2023 at 10:43 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Pat Narduzzi at Pitt was right about SC 'stealing' Addison but Riley after paying players for years at Oklahoma before NIL is not going to directly tamper.

Two points...

1) Yes SC cheats, but so does most of the SEC, the other elite teams, etc.  Yet Oregon will prosper and is doing fine under Dan Lanning.    For 2024 recruiting, the Ducks are currently ranked No. 10 while USC is No. 68 and again...the Ducks were in the top ten in 2023.  We will do fine versus their cheating, and discussing tampering ad infinitum doesn't change anything.

2) It won't be long before we can tell the B1G that concerning USC...

giphy.gif

• Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck