Jon Joseph

College Football News - Playoff Contenders 2023 Strength of Schedule (SOS)

College Football News (CFN) has ranked the 133 P5/G5 SOS. Below are the by-conference rankings of the teams I believe are capable of winning a conference championship and finishing in the Final 4 the final season of a Final 4.

To date, SOS has rarely come into play for the Playoff (PO) Committee. With four teams the formula has been easy: 2 strikes and you are out! In 2024 we will have a 12-team field with 6 at-large teams making the field along with the highest-ranked 6 conference champions. With the new format, I think SOS, as determined ad hoc by the PO Committee will be important when it comes to making the field and for seeding purposes. 

PAC-12

15 - UW

20 - Utah

29 - Oregon State

39 - USC

59 - Oregon

64 - UCLA 

I am surprised that Oregon State with no P5 out-of-conference (OOC) games is ranked 3rd in the Pac-12. UCLA also plays no P5 teams OOC. And for some reason, the conference gave the departing Bruins an easy conference slate. Thank you, Merton (Do Nothing?) Hanks. Also, I note that USC gets both Utah and UW in LA.

With Oregon playing in Seattle and Salt Lake City and playing a preseason top-25-ranked Texas Tech in Lubbock, I think CFN has the Ducks' schedule rated far too low. 

ACC -

22 - Clemson

26 - Pitt

44 - FSU - Too low considering FSU opens against LSU?

56 - UNC

57 - Louisville

60 - Miami - Will this ranking allow for Mario to find 6 wins and go bowling?

B1G -

1 - Purdue - Nice welcoming of a new head coach.

14 - Ohio State - Plays at Notre Dame and at Michigan.

49 - Wisconsin

61 - Michigan - 3 cream-puff OOC games all played in Ann Arbor

65 - Penn State - gets Michigan at home. Penn State plays at Ohio State.

B12 -

13 - Texas Tech - here, Oregon appears to be getting props.

16 - Texas - playing at Alabama moves the SOS needle

48 - Oklahoma

52 - TCU - opens the season at home versus Prime Time

SEC -

5 - Alabama

31 - LSU

51 - Tennessee

53 - Texas A+M

63 - Georgia - OOC Georgia plays 3 G5 teams and Georgia Tech. And by SEC standards the conference schedule is not difficult. 3-peat?

OTHERS -

2 - Colorado - Thank you, Mister AD

3 - CAL - See, Colorado

42 - Notre Dame - Too low with games in South Bend versus Ohio State and USC and playing at Clemson?

My guess? No Pac-12 team finishes the season with fewer than two losses.

Final 4 -

1. Georgia

2. Michigan

3. Alabama

4. Penn State

Yours? 

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Great post! 1

Very surprised to see an experienced and experienced DL player transferring from Georgia and rumored to be headed to Southern Cal.

Riley, with a lot of experience paying players at Oklahoma before NIL, continues to Poach-On!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/15/2023 at 10:45 AM, Jon Joseph said:

PAC-12

15 - UW

20 - Utah

29 - Oregon State

39 - USC

59 - Oregon

64 - UCLA 

The reason Oregon is so low in the PAC is that they do not have to play Oregon.

• Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1

Georgia

Oregon

LSU

Florida State

• Wow 1

I so hate pundits giving SOS before the season even starts.  This is all based on last season.  We have no idea which teams will be good or bad.  ACC and SEC all have 4 OOC, so for the most part get easy wins.  It boosts their SOS when they play each other.  Quite frankly, no FCS game or G5 game should count for P5 SOS.

On 4/17/2023 at 10:55 AM, Tandaian said:

I so hate pundits giving SOS before the season even starts.  This is all based on last season.  We have no idea which teams will be good or bad.  ACC and SEC all have 4 OOC, so for the most part get easy wins.  It boosts their SOS when they play each other.  Quite frankly, no FCS game or G5 game should count for P5 SOS.

Very good point but once the spring portal season closes it's pretty easy to rank a team's roster and you know where the games will be played. 

No school without a Blue Chip Roster (over 50% 4* and 5* recruits) won the BCS or has won a (BCS x 2) playoff title.