fred flintstone

No Clock Stop After First Down: Effect On Play Call?

Games are going to fly by now that the clock only stops with two minutes left in half after a first down. 

I wonder what that does to play calls?

• Great post! 1

It will change a lot. NFL runs about 62-70 plays per game.  The top 70 teams, in college, who called the most plays had over 70 plays per game.  Texas Tech averaged 89 plays per game last year.  Lose 20 plays is a ton.

• Thumbs Up 1

It will help the "plodders" like Cristobal, as you can burn the clock a lot easier now through the game and effectively "shorten" the game and the number of possessions a team will have.  Every play will need to be that much more productive for teams that want to score a bunch--like Oregon.

Oregon Poster 3_ESPN Video.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 4/25/2023 at 8:55 AM, fred flintstone said:

Games are going to fly by now that the clock only stops with two minutes left in half after a first down. 

I wonder what that does to play calls?

Great take. With the playoff expanding CFB has to limit the number of plays in a game. But 'fly by?' 

This will help move the game along no doubt but I still think CFB needs a change in the review process. Go to the NFL rules or limit the amount of time a review can take. Why not do this when today's reviews often take 5 minutes or more and the reviewers still do not make the correct call?

And IMO there is nothing wrong with a tie game in the regular season.

In regards to play calling, with fewer plays teams with good run games may look to run the clock more than is the case today.

FYI, the team that ran the most plays in the nation in 2022? Texas Tech

Edited by Jon Joseph

On 4/25/2023 at 11:15 AM, Tandaian said:

It will change a lot. NFL runs about 62-70 plays per game.  The top 70 teams, in college, who called the most plays had over 70 plays per game.  Texas Tech averaged 89 plays per game last year.  Lose 20 plays is a ton.

Thank you, T. Yes, TT ran the most plays in the nation in 2022. 

For us old timers not having the clock stop after 1st downs is back to the future. I do like the 2-minute end of the half exceptions as this will likely bring a lot of strategy into play.

I also note that consecutive time-out calls will not be permitted in 2023 and there will be no untimed downs unless a penalty is called on the final play of the game.

Chain gangs best be working out in the off-season. These folks will now have to hustle to get the markers down.