Jon Joseph

Draft To Date Tells the Tale of Today's Pac-12

To date, the Pac-12 is number 5 out of the Power 5 conferences with 10 players drafted. 

Three of the players drafted so far are from USC with one, Charbonnet, being drafted out of UCLA. Thus, 6 Pac-10 players drafted to date. This is pathetic. 

Add the SC and UCLA players to the B1G and the B1G would be on the nipping at SEC heels. 

However, Oregon has produced two of the six drafted. Congrats to Gonzalez and DJ Johnson. Many players recruited by Dan Lanning and taken out of the portal will undoubtedly mature as players and be drafted down the road.

Next season the Pac-12 should do better; especially, with a bevy of outstanding QBs playing in the conference in 2023.

But if the conference as a whole does not pick up in adding new, quality players; well, this will not help come 12-team playoff time with the number of teams making the playoff and their seeding in the playoff. Playoff Committee members will note that the SEC has 31 players drafted to date and the B1G has 26 players drafted. 

With teams 5 through 8 hosting a 1st round playoff game, playoff seeding will be extremely important. The strength of the schedule may finally be taken into account when the field is seeded. This is the major reason I do not like Oregon playing B12 teams, and not SEC or B1G teams, out-of-conference for the next six seasons. I once again have to question Rob Mullens's judgment. 

Oregon will be the lead sled dog once USC goes B1G. Playing Baylor, Oklahoma State, and Texas Tech does not move the media needle and does not help with the ongoing (SIGH) media negotiations. These games will not likely attract four million viewers which is an important viewer benchmark. 

Hoping more Ducks will be drafted today as well as more players from the Pac-10.

Sad Face GIF 

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1

I had posted this in another thread earlier, but it really supports this thread...

Jon Gold: Pac-12 takeaways from the 1st round of the NFL Draft

With the 1st round of the 2023 NFL Draft in the books, Pac-12 backers must be shaking their heads at the confluence of events that saw the SEC and Big Ten triple the number of Pac-12 picks, and the Big-12 double them — occasionally using West Coast kids to pad the numbers.

As expected, the SEC and Big Ten dominated the 1st round, with 9 picks each, including the 1st 6 selections (1, 3, 4 for the SEC; 2, 5, 6 for the Big Ten).

Less predictable: The Big-12 and ACC also putting the Pac-12 to shame.

Six different Big 12 teams had a 1st-round pick, with Texas Tech defensive end Tyree Wilson and Texas running back Bijan Robinson going 7th and 8th, respectively, to the Las Vegas Raiders and Atlanta Falcons. Last year, the conference did not have a single 1st-rounder.

And then there was the Pac-12 with 3 1st rounders: Oregon’s Christian Gonzalez (17, New England); USC’s Jordan Addison (23, Minnesota); and Utah’s Dalton Kincaid (25, Buffalo)

It wasn’t too long ago the league landed 6 in the 1st (2017) or even 9 itself (2015).

Those feel like ancient times now.

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

The Pac-12 lagged behind the other Power 5 conferences in Thursdays 1st round of the NFL Draft, proving once more just...

• Mic drop 1

Res ipsa loquitor - The thing speaks for itself.

Thanks Pa!

Hopefully Lanning changes that single handedly

On 4/29/2023 at 12:46 PM, JDuck said:

Hopefully Lanning changes that single handedly

I agree but therein lies the playoff rub.

The in-conference competition has to be valued by the playoff committee to get more than 1 Pac team, the conference champion, in a 12 team playoff field and also for seeding purposes. 

Come 2024, a champion in the top 4 of 6 conference champions = a 1st round bye. Being ranked 5-8 = a first-round home game.

6 at large spots, four of which at least will most likely go to B1G and SEC schools. If the ACC and B12 schedules are more valued than the Pac schedules; well, that's a problem. And remember, Notre Dame is also out there jockeying for a 5 to 8 seed. Notre Dame brings lots of viewers along with it. Something that matters even though the playoff committee will never admit this. 

This is a problem that Oregon's case is exacerbated by not playing a Power 2 opponent in the next 6 seasons.  And by a school like Oregon State not playing a Power 5 opponent out-of-conference. 

The Pac-10 has to step up its OOC scheduling and has to win its fair share versus the Power 2.

This season brings us Florida at Utah, Arizona at Mississippi State, Wisconsin at Washington State (!), and Washington at Michigan State. 

The Pac Conference needs to win 2 of these 4 games at least. Utah is likely to be favored and UW has a good chance of being slightly favored on the road. 

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Applause 1

On 4/29/2023 at 10:36 AM, Jon Joseph said:

I agree but therein lies the playoff rub.

The in-conference competition has to be valued by the playoff committee to get more than 1 Pac team, the conference champion, in a 12 team playoff field and also for seeding purposes. 

Come 2024, a champion in the top 4 of 6 conference champions = a 1st round bye. Being ranked 5-8 = a first-round home game.

6 at large spots, four of which at least will most likely go to B1G and SEC schools. If the ACC and B12 schedules are more valued than the Pac schedules; well, that's a problem. And remember, Notre Dame is also out there jockeying for a 5 to 8 seed. Notre Dame brings lots of viewers along with it. Something that matters even though the playoff committee will never admit this. 

This is a problem that Oregon's case is exacerbated by not playing a Power 2 opponent in the next 6 seasons.  And by a school like Oregon State not playing a Power 5 opponent out-of-conference. 

The Pac-10 has to step up its OOC scheduling and has to win its fair share versus the Power 2.

This season brings us Florida at Utah, Arizona at Mississippi State, Wisconsin at Washington State (!), and Washington at Michigan State. 

The Pac Conference needs to win 2 of these 4 games at least. Utah is likely to be favored and UW has a good chance of being slightly favored on the road. 

Go 13-0 we're in

4 of last 6 picks came from Liberty, Wagner, Old Dominion, and Princeton.  TCU has a lot of picks...hmmm, made the natty

Can't emphasize strongly enough my feeling that Jon is right about OOC schedules and the need to get at least a few wins against SEC and B1G opponents in years to come. The lack of such a resume is one of the reasons that the PAC is viewed as a "softer" conference than it deserves to be IMHO.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/29/2023 at 5:07 PM, JDuck said:

Go 13-0 we're in

That record would make history. Since adding CU and Utah no Pac-12 team has pulled off a 13-0 record. 

Big ask with 5 top 25 ranked opponents, including 3 of the 5 on the road. 

On 4/29/2023 at 5:08 PM, JDuck said:

4 of last 6 picks came from Liberty, Wagner, Old Dominion, and Princeton.  TCU has a lot of picks...hmmm, made the natty

CU at TCU will be fun to watch. 

CU? Get your program! Can't tell the players without a program!

I think what's also telling, and unsurprisingly, is the draft highlights individual talent over teamwork. 

Oregon had one of the best offensive lines in the Nation last year. But that offensive line, those in the draft anyways, where individual trench monsters but worked as a fantastic unit. One or two were drafted in the end, I know Forsythe was, but as late round picks. 

USC has been able to get big individual talented players for years but has had few complete teams. 

It will be interesting to watch in future years as we get more talent and higher development out of this Lanning team. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/30/2023 at 2:21 AM, Jon Joseph said:

That record would make history. Since adding CU and Utah no Pac-12 team has pulled off a 13-0 record. 

Big ask with 5 top 25 ranked opponents, including 3 of the 5 on the road. 

I've read some good articles that showcase the SEC and the patsies they schedule OOC and it has had little impact on making the playoff.  Win your games and you'll make it.  13-0 is tough but with a 4 team playoff I think Oregon would be in regardless of OOC or Pac strength.  12-1 might be more realistic.  Unfortunately polls impact perception.  I think polls should be banned until after week 5 or 6.  It tends to set the pecking order all season and several 12-1 teams screaming for the playoff and someone gets left out.  Beating top 10 teams does seem to help leapfrog sometimes.  I still think polls the first few weeks are dumb.  Like the way too early top 25s...just click bait

On 4/30/2023 at 1:59 PM, JDuck said:

I've read some good articles that showcase the SEC and the patsies they schedule OOC and it has had little impact on making the playoff.  Win your games and you'll make it.  13-0 is tough but with a 4 team playoff I think Oregon would be in regardless of OOC or Pac strength.  12-1 might be more realistic.  Unfortunately polls impact perception.  I think polls should be banned until after week 5 or 6.  It tends to set the pecking order all season and several 12-1 teams screaming for the playoff and someone gets left out.  Beating top 10 teams does seem to help leapfrog sometimes.  I still think polls the first few weeks are dumb.  Like the way too early top 25s...just click bait

Great comment. Any P5 team that goes 13-0 is in the final 4. Otherwise, all Hades will break loose. 

The SEC is stepping up its OOC slate. For example, Florida which never traveled out of the Sunshine State is playing at Utah this season and Bama has a return game versus Texas.

Preseason and early in-season polls? I agree but too much money is made off of the early polls to change what we see today. 

Plus, there is that pesky 1st Amendment.

• Haha 1

The top 2 picks in the 2023 NFL draft were both Southern California high school football players that decided to play for Alabama (Bryce Young, Mater Dei) and Ohio State (CJ Stroud, Rancho Cucamonga).  The Pac-12 has to start by keeping top West Coast high school football players in the conference. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I really came to hate the OOC scheduling  at Georgia during the Mark Richt era, but Kirby Smart is stepping that up even as the SEC transitions to a 9-game league schedule. Notable upcoming  OOCs are home and homes added recently are with UCLA, Florida State--a team on the verge of making real noise again-- Clemson, and Ohio State. The fan base loves these games!

I am sure that there will be other premiere matchups as well. Georgia likes invitations to early season blockbusters like the Kickoff Classic for example. If you are going to schedule OOCs, aspire to play the best of college football. Recruits  love  these kinds of matchups.

On 5/3/2023 at 1:33 AM, Nevada Dawg said:

I really came to hate the OOC scheduling  at Georgia during the Mark Richt era, but Kirby Smart is stepping that up even as the SEC transitions to a 9-game league schedule. Notable upcoming  OOCs are home and homes added recently are with UCLA, Florida State--a team on the verge of making real noise again-- Clemson, and Ohio State. The fan base loves these games!

I am sure that there will be other premiere matchups as well. Georgia likes invitations to early season blockbusters like the Kickoff Classic for example. If you are going to schedule OOCs, aspire to play the best of college football. Recruits  love  these kinds of matchups.

Great take ND. I think a 12-team PO for At Large spots and seeding reasons will increase OOC competition. The SEC is really upping its OOC game; Florida at Utah is a perfect example.

I think it is very important for the ACC, B12, and Pac-10 to play a Power 2 team OOC. Even with the beat down 'at' UGA last season if Oregon had not lost late leads in the 4th quarter against UW and Oregon State and made the champ game Oregon, with a win over SEC would have been in the playoff. Games against Nebraska, Iowa, and Wisconsin would have more viewers than games versus B12 opponents. Ditto games vs Auburn, Florida, and even Mississippi State that CAL, Utah, and Arizona have scheduled in 2023.

And if the powers-that-be do not require Notre Dame to play 13 games, as all P5 and G5 champs will play, it will be more bending over for the Domers. 

Is the SEC going to 9? It should and big boys in the SEC all want this. This will preserve not only Oklahoma vs Texas and Bama vs Auburn but also A+M vs Texas and Bama vs Tennessee. But schools like Kentucky want to stay at 8 to have an extra home cupcake game and make it easier to go bowling when non-playoff bowl games will be further marginalized by the expanded playoff and many of the best players will skip these meaningless games. I hope the SEC will not allow the tail to wag the dog (Dawg?) when it comes to 8 or 9 games. 

Georgia's 2023 OOC slate is simply bad but this is due to the conference calling off the scheduled game between UGA and Oklahoma. Yet, Texas is playing a return game at Bama. 

All to best to UGA in 2023 in its attempt to 3-pe3-Petete. 

Edited by Jon Joseph

Regarding keeping west coast recruits in the PAC…

Technically, any future California recruit that goes to the B1G will be playing in their home territory conference. 

Edited by Rufus

On 5/3/2023 at 2:15 PM, Rufus said:

Regarding keeping west coast recruits in the PAC…

Technically, any future California recruit that goes to the B1G will be playing in their home territory conference. 

Just like the Cali kids playing in the SEC are SEC guys. With CFB now having a Power 2 it will be tough to keep these kids at home.

I don't want to speak for Rufus but I think the point was that LA is now B1G country and thus the league is home territory for Cali kids by virtue of SoCal being in it. So they can be thought of as "staying home". Or, I may be over thinking it, lol.

I'd be careful  about implying certain power 5 opponents other than SEC or big 10 conference members are not top notch OOC opponents. I'm not sure  that Clemson wouldn't be a threat to win big in either of the so-called big 2 conferences and Florida State is once again beginning to look a little scary (they beat SEC West champ LSU last year and did so convincingly). I fear either of those teams a  little more  than  Penn State, Wisconsin, and possibly even Michigan, although all these teams should be reasonably good. 

The Big 12 may have been down a bit last year and TCU's 65-7 beatdown in the Natty didn't do the conference any favors. But the conference will produce enough quality teams each year to give the power 2 teams some problems.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/4/2023 at 1:29 AM, Nevada Dawg said:

I don't want to speak for Rufus but I think the point was that LA is now B1G country and thus the league is home territory for Cali kids by virtue of SoCal being in it. So they can be thought of as "staying home". Or, I may be over thinking it, lol.

I'd be careful  about implying certain power 5 opponents other than SEC or big 10 conference members are not top notch OOC opponents. I'm not sure  that Clemson wouldn't be a threat to win big in either of the so-called big 2 conferences and Florida State is once again beginning to look a little scary (they beat SEC West champ LSU last year and did so convincingly). I fear either of those teams a  little more  than  Penn State, Wisconsin, and possibly even Michigan, although all these teams should be reasonably good. 

The Big 12 may have been down a bit last year and TCU's 65-7 beatdown in the Natty didn't do the conference any favors. But the conference will produce enough quality teams each year to give the power 2 teams some problems.

Great take ND but even Clemson and FSU do not historically draw the viewer numbers that you see (sorry) watching the top to mid-level B1G and SEC teams.

But no doubt, a win over Clemson or FSU would resonate nationally.

With OK and TX off to the SEC next season I just do not see games vs B12 teams moving the needle. Perhaps one of the games will be played in Mexico City?

Looks like the B12 will be playing a number of football and basketball games in Mexico. I think the new B12 commissioner has a lot of PT Barnum in him but he is aggressive in promoting the B12 and finding new ways for the conference to make money. Meanwhile, back at the Pac-12 ranch? Nada.