Notalot

ACC Demise

Similar to the Pac, the ACC leaders met. The reported hot potato in the meeting was how to increase football revenues to member schools. Reportedly, there were other hot topics.

Anyway, for the two days since the meeting the Clemson flagship talk radio has 90% been discussion and alarm about the future of the conference.

To split away, as determined by the GOR ( Grant of Rights) the only way to break away without penalties of ~$100M, is if 8 or more schools leave together. Apparently seven are ready to announce leaving. Today Louisville was reported as the eighth.

The majority see the changes to take 3-5 years to develop, thus one or more interim changes are coming.

To compete for championships, football programs will require +$100M or more in annual football revenue. Many are above that already with UGA (Georgia) topping the list and approaching $150M revenue.

The notion of interim arrangements leading to future conference alignments is what I also anticipate for Oregon and the Pac.

It's been reported that there was a shouting match or two going on among a couple of  ADs.

I knew that there were 7 disgruntled teams. Louisville could be the straw that breaks the ACC's back. As you noted Not, 8 schools have the power to make the conference disappear with no exit payment required.

AAU ACC member schools of interest to the B1G - Duke, UNC, UVA, Georgia Tech. Pitt is an AAU member school but I don't think Penn State would want Pitt in the conference. The ACC breaking up would likely force Notre Dame into a conference, most likely the B1G. So in addition to Fox, NBC might come up with some of the needed expansion money.

Does Fox have the money to add more teams to the B1G at a dollar amount that would encourage the teams to leave? If the B1G wanted to add ACC teams Fox could pick them up a discount compared to what it is paying to bring on the LA schools and the existing B1G members, @70M a year.

Clemson, FSU, UNC and if UNC was added, NC State, would be attractive additions to the SEC. Maybe Miami but Miami is a small private school and would be a third school in Florida if FSU was to join the SEC. Same question as where the money would come from, this time directed at ESPN. But ESPN would save money by shutting down the ACC Network.

Florida and South Carolina might beef over the addition of FSU and Clemson but like A+M's protestations against joining the conference were ignored I think these two schools' objections would be ignored.

I am curious as to why Louisville would join the chorus. I do not see Louisville as an attractive addition to the B1G or the SEC. The SEC already has the major market share in Kentucky with Kentucky CFB and CBB.

I could see both Miami and Louisville and Va Tech, in the B12, joining W VA and UCF in the Eastern time zone. But again, that would mean that ESPN/Fox would have to come up with @$30M for each new B12 member. 

Man, I hope the Pac-10 stays together. If not, Oregon and UW could be left behind or forced to join the B12. Gulp!

Round and round it goes. Where it stops nobody knows. 

high five merry go round GIF by Peppermint

On 5/17/2023 at 1:27 PM, Notalot said:

Similar to the Pac, the ACC leaders met. The reported hot potato in the meeting was how to increase football revenues to member schools. Reportedly, tgere were other hot topics.

Anyway, for the two days since the meeting the Clemson flagdhip talk radio has 90% been discussion and alarm about the future of the conference.

To split away, as determened by the GOR ( Grant of Rights) the only way to break away without penalties of ~$100M, is if 8 or more schools leave together. Apparently seven are reafyvto announce leaving. Today Louisville was reported as the eighth.

The majority see the changes to take 3-5 years to develop, thus one or more interim changes are coming.

To compete for championships, football programs will require +$100M or more in annual football revenue. Many are above that already with UGA (Georgia) topping the list and approaching $150M revenue.

The notion of interim arrangements leading to future conference alignments is what I also anticipate for Oregon and the Pac.

FYI, UGA's recruiting budget is $4.5M a year!

I think it might be too late to "Get Smart" on this as CHAOS seems to be winning.

• Mic drop 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

Here are a couple of articles to go along with what everyone is talking about:

WWW.OUTKICK.COM

If the ACC was looking to make some noise this Spring, I'd say the mission was accomplished as spring meetings bring out hidden chaos

WWW.ESPN.COM

ACC athletic directors left Tuesday's meetings feeling optimistic that schools would coalesce around a plan that would afford a larger share of postseason revenue to the teams participating in...

SATURDAYROAD.COM

Greg McElroy weighed in on the ACC discussions.

A former Tide QB weighs in. As to adding say, Clemson, FSU, and Miami being dilutive, these schools would gladly come in for a lesser share of the revenue. 

And although ESPN is having financial difficulty, closing down the ACC Network could make the money available.

As Not noted yesterday, Louisville is the 8th team to question the current media deal. That makes 8. 8 teams decide to leave and the ACC will not have the right to charge an exit fee.

I can't help but think that more realignment and consolidation of the big boy programs, is coming before the close of the new B1G and SEC media deals.

You'll never hear this publicly but I imagine that the B1G would love to see the ACC collapse so it could add Notre Dame and perhaps, one or more of the ACC, AAU-member schools, Duke, Georgia Tech, UNC, Pitt, and UVA.

So, ACC votes to dissolve the conference.  It sounds like Fox and ESPN don't have much money left to pony up.  I'm not sure even FSU, Miami or Clemson have enough to get an equal share of the pie if they were to change conferences.  It would likely be more than what they are getting from their current contract, but I don't think they could come in as equal partners.

image.thumb.jpeg.27d95d9514b94f365d9975867395327a.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 5/18/2023 at 1:08 PM, Tandaian said:

So, ACC votes to dissolve the conference.  It sounds like Fox and ESPN don't have much money left to pony up.  I'm not sure even FSU, Miami or Clemson have enough to get an equal share of the pie if they were to change conferences.  It would likely be more than what they are getting from their current contract, but I don't think they could come in as equal partners.

Great point. But closing down the ACC Network would free up some ESPN cash and I don't see any ACC school joining the SEC, even Clemson and FSU, getting a full slice of the $70M a year media pie. $40M a year would be a step up from what ACC teams, $20M, are receiving today.

Fox? I think that whether the B1G goes west, Oregon, and UW or east, UVA, UNC, Duke, and Georgia Tech, none of these schools would receive a $70M per season B1G share.

But if the ACC collapses I can see the B1G coming with a full share for Notre Dame.

On 5/18/2023 at 1:49 PM, cartm25 said:

Why not combine the P-12 and ACC?

I think it would be great to have a coast to coast conference. Pick up some teams in the central/south (i.e., Texas, Louisiana, etc.)

Cart, the travel would be prohibitive and ACC teams are now stuck at $20M a year in media revenue in a deal that runs through 2036.

I do not see any desire on ESPN's part to facilitate such a merger. Football games vs Clemson and FSU and maybe Miami would draw large numbers of viewers but against BC, Duke, Syracuse, Pitt, Va Tech, UVA, NC St, UNC, Georgia Tech, and Wake? Not so much.

On 5/18/2023 at 2:09 PM, cartm25 said:

Are you referring to the P12 vs ACC matchup here (e.g., best of P12 against best of ACC (Clem, FSU, Mia) would draw a crowd, but not against he lesser teams)?

No, I'm referring to annual match-ups if the conference merges. On a stand-alone basis, I'd love to see a challenge in CFB and CBB.

Good thoughts but it isn't going to happen.

Minneapolis is much closer to Eugene than Mr. Jefferson's University.

This would be massive but it would be an untenable structure that at the end of the day would not bring in more money than the Pac-10 staying together and adding good-sized and big market teams closer to its footprint: SDSU, Fresno, UNLV, SMU, UTSA, Rice and Tulane would bring in.

All of the above schools can be had at a discount off of what Pac-10 teams will receive. You go beyond 16 teams and do you have a viable conference? The quantity will not make up for the quality in the SEC and the B1G.