Charles Fischer

Does Oregon Have a Chance in the Baseball Regionals?

Oregon has a chance, but a very slim one, IMHO.  Vanderbilt has great pitching--always has.  The Ducks will struggle to score, while I fear that our pitching will give up a bit too much without our best pitchers out with injury.

Coach Waz stated yesterday that he was "unsure" about Jace Stoffal being available, although he and Isaac Ayon are listed on the group of pitchers for Oregon in the series press release.  My prediction?

We get to the series final and lose in the first final game. 

Our relief pitching surprised everyone in the Pac-12 Tournament, and were wonderful, but our starters have to be lights-out...and we just don't have that staff yet.  But this is why we play the game...can our hitters get to their starters?

The first game is tomorrow morning at 10:00 AM PST!

850_2518.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

When I draw-up a scheme, the O’s always beat the X’s.

• Thumbs Up 2

As Charles notes, it will come down to healthy arms and if the Ducks can hit really good pitching, particularly from Vandy. I'm hoping they still have some magic left in the bats and we get either Stoffal (optimal) or Ayton back for enough innings to make a difference.

The PAC tournament showed it can be done even without those starters. Coach Waz and crew have been coaching their fannys off and managing games well. They've got a decent punchers chance to make the super regional. 

Go Ducks!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The Ducks definitely have a good chance to advance. As mentioned above, if the young arms keep the games close anything can happen with aluminum bats.

The Duck batting lineup is a hitting machine and is capable of producing enough runs to advance this team to the super regionals 

All thecopponents in this regional ar3 capable butVandy will be as tough as it gets for our Ducks.

Go Ducks......

• Thumbs Up 1

Washington Waddler,

You are correct! The Os have it over the Xs. Hard to believe the Ducks won, 5-4, and our six pitchers gave up 6 walks and struck out 9 batters. Xavier gave up 1 walk to us, and struck out 5 Ducks. Our Ducks had no errors in contrast to Xavier's 3rd Baseman who had 3. That last error was crucial!

The Ducks had 9 hits and Xavier had 5 hits. Our Ducks hit four doubles and Xavier batters hit one double. Our Jr. RHP from Roseburg earned the win (4-0), and I believe Mollerus earned the Save. I am just glad we won.

This gives us 38 wins on the season - improves over last years' win column by at least 2 wins. Now, let's see if the coaches can pull a Fightin' Duck out of their hat for Saturday when we play our next opponent. We need two very good pitching performances (and keen eyes/great batting to complement the pitching) and great defense and baserunning to walk away with one and perhaps two wins on Saturday. After all, the Ducks came to win!

Win Ducks, Win! Go Ducks!

KCDuck1

• Let’s hope! 2
  • Applause 1