NJDuck

Athletics? Are the Aztecs Pac-12 Bound?

SDSU watched Utah make the jump from the Mountain West to the Pac-12. The Aztecs are hoping to take a similar path

WWW.DESERET.COM

SDSU watched Utah make the jump from the Mountain West to the Pac-12. The Aztecs, who fell to the Utes in the NCAA Softball Super Regional are hoping to take a similar path

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It may not be ethical but business-wise I don't understand why SDSU does not notify the MW that it is leaving to save millions in the exit fee.

Reverse course and there is no way the MW will kick out SDSU and lose the San Diego market.

• Thumbs Up 1

I heard talking heads discuss that same thing.  Presidents of Universities don't like having to do uncomfortable things.  Telling MW they are leaving, then if the Pac doesn't invite them, say just kidding.  MW wouldn't kick them out, but it does make it official they are looking to leave.  Makes conference meetings awkward going forward. 

SDSU is definitely a top 3 school in the MW, so they sort of get do what they want, but people like to keep things comfortable.

On 6/6/2023 at 12:48 PM, Tandaian said:

I heard talking heads discuss that same thing.  Presidents of Universities don't like having to do uncomfortable things.  Telling MW they are leaving, then if the Pac doesn't invite them, say just kidding.  MW wouldn't kick them out, but it does make it official they are looking to leave.  Makes conference meetings awkward going forward. 

SDSU is definitely a top 3 school in the MW, so they sort of get do what they want, but people like to keep things comfortable.

Amen. Like not suing Larry Scott for his role in the Comcast cover-up. 

SDSU has to do something by the end of the month or they are screwed.  

I wonder how serious the Big 12 is trying to lure the Aztecs?  

The better question is does SDSU still want to join the Pac? They clearly are ready to make the jump to a P5 conference. But does the Pac represent a stable enough platform for them to hitch their wagon to? The lack of a media deal and the recent smoke (turning to embers) surrounding Colorado/Arizona have to give SDSU's board of regents at least a little bit of pause.

What if they give notice to the MW, jump to the Pac, only to watch Colorado and Arizona bolt for the Big 12? What would a move like that do to the situation surrounding a potential move for Oregon/Washington to the BIG (which would without a doubt collapse the conference)?

These are all uncertainties, of course. But that only adds to the existing uncertainty surrounding our conference. At this point, we are a hard sell to prospective candidates...

I think it has to do with location.  Even if the Pac should go away after the next media deal, they still get a better geographical conference now.  Why not stay in the Pac for as long as possible, when they know the Big 12 will be there after the next contract?

On 6/6/2023 at 1:48 PM, Rufus said:

SDSU has to do something by the end of the month or they are screwed.  

I wonder how serious the Big 12 is trying to lure the Aztecs?  

More like how interested is ESPN/Fox? 

On 6/6/2023 at 11:55 AM, Babyjesus615 said:

The better question is does SDSU still want to join the Pac? They clearly are ready to make the jump to a P5 conference. But does the Pac represent a stable enough platform for them to hitch their wagon to? The lack of a media deal and the recent smoke (turning to embers) surrounding Colorado/Arizona have to give SDSU's board of regents at least a little bit of pause.

What if they give notice to the MW, jump to the Pac, only to watch Colorado and Arizona bolt for the Big 12? What would a move like that do to the situation surrounding a potential move for Oregon/Washington to the BIG (which would without a doubt collapse the conference)?

These are all uncertainties, of course. But that only adds to the existing uncertainty surrounding our conference. At this point, we are a hard sell to prospective candidates...

I don't see the pac fully dying to be honest. 

I can see the PAC being the MW+ sort of thing where they have some bigger brands and therefore able to garner a bigger media deal but they wouldn't be a power conference any longer. 

A PAC with say Cal, Stanford, Oregon State, Washington State and SDSU with maybe UNLV and SMU and probably Fresno State would be worth more than the MW. Not in the same realm as say the B1G and SEC buy probably able to get around 15-20 mil per school I would think. Which is still wayyy more than the roughly 4 mil the MW gives out. 

Which is why even a partial media payout for SDSU would be a huge boon for their program. 

On 6/6/2023 at 9:20 PM, David Marsh said:

I don't see the pac fully dying to be honest. 

I can see the PAC being the MW+ sort of thing where they have some bigger brands and therefore able to garner a bigger media deal but they wouldn't be a power conference any longer. 

A PAC with say Cal, Stanford, Oregon State, Washington State and SDSU with maybe UNLV and SMU and probably Fresno State would be worth more than the MW. Not in the same realm as say the B1G and SEC buy probably able to get around 15-20 mil per school I would think. Which is still wayyy more than the roughly 4 mil the MW gives out. 

Which is why even a partial media payout for SDSU would be a huge boon for their program. 

See the article by Dennis Dodd up on BFD today. Finally, Dodd gets economics 101. The FOX and ESPN networks are not standing by to add football teams to the B12 and if the B12 wants to add Gonzaga and UConn it will have to do so by getting other conference members to agree to a media revenue haircut.

SDSU would far prefer to join the Pac-10 than any other conference. SDSU makes sense on its own. Fresno and UNLV make dense as a defensive move to keep the B12 out of the Pacific time zone. Both Fresno and Las Vegas/Clark County, bring good sized media markets. 

Notwithstanding the loss of UCLA and USC I am sure there will still be academic yin and yang among the geniuses who run the conference. This nonsense needs to come to an end. When businesses merge and add subsidiaries it is not based on the intellect of incoming employees but on the business merits. 

And how many undergraduate students are graced by being taught by the top drawer professors at any of these self-righteous academic giant universities.