EastBayDuckDad

Coach Waz Said it All: "Our Fans Wouldn't Let Us Lose"

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

“Our fans wouldn’t let us lose,” Coach Wasikowski said. “Our fans were amazing, and I don’t think PK Park...

So gracious of Coach Waz to celebrate the PK crowd. After the stunned silence that followed the eight run 3rd inning shellacking that Oral Robert's laid on the Ducks, the only thing that could be heard was their fans chanting "ORU...ORU!" behind the visitors dugout. With a few turning around and taunting (in moderation) the green and yellow faithful behind them.

As the Ducks clawed their way back into the game, the crowd came alive, starting with the back to back dingers by Walsh and Thompson to start the bottom of that same inning. When the crowd exploded into "Shout", the game was tied and Duck fans behind the ORU section were yelling back "Who RU..Who RU?".

Like the great philosopher Yogi Berra once said, "It ain't over 'till it's over, even when it looks like it's over". I was standing behind home plate when ORU brought in their All-American closer Denton, to shut down the Ducks in the bottom of the 9th. He was throwing 95mph heaters, then a bit of an offspeed pitch that it looked like Cowley had been coached to know was coming. Then boom, walk off base hit, Rishida crosses the plate, the fat lady sings and pandemonium in PK.

What impressed me was the support from the rest of the Oregon sports firmament. I walked by Kelly Graves, Dana Altman, Pat Kilkenny and Bo Nix, all standing in line for food and beverage, chatting folks up and enjoying the PK atmosphere. Dana looked to be with a granddaughter, and Bo with his wife. It reminds one of what a great place this is and why we are so proud to be Ducks.

One more W and it's Omaha bound. Don't let up. Pack PK again tonight. Give ESPN more highlight footage and....

Go Ducks!

• Applause 2
  • Like 1

Full interview of Coach Waz and players...

Mr. FishDuck

Let's accept the truth?  Fan attendance for Oregon Baseball has been bad....because Horton killed it in his last five years.  But start winning again, and "they will come."  Games like this, and the obvious trendline under Coach Waz over three years should change the size of crowds at PK Park next year!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

So proud of the entire Duck baseball team, coaches and players alike. The singular focus to win is stong in this amazing group.

One more win and off to the College World Series. Sweet.......

ORU will bring their best, again, tonight. They are fierce competitors to say the least. Another great team effort by the Ducks will be needed and 110% fan support ro bring this to a Duck victory.

So glad the huskies are busy building their considerable academic prowess.........

GO DUCKS!

• Like 3

Mr. FishDuck

The fans really got to see it all; home runs, smart base running, great pitching for eight innings and a bunch of double plays.  Fun, Fun Fun!

Now, if I was Oral Roberts....I am coming out with steam streaming from my ears, my back is up against the wall, and tonight for the Ducks...

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

That ORU team is solid offensively, led by CF'er J. Cox. The middle of the lineup is a murderers row of hitters. Only one of the starters has a BA under .300. The eight run inning last night was no fluke. They will jump on and exploit iffy pitching. To call them a 4th seed in the regionals is almost a joke, based on Summit conference weakness more than anything else.

They are a top 20 team and deserve to be where they are as much as anyone. I expect they will come out tonight with a big fat chip on their shoulder and get on it. They have the respect of Coach Waz and every player on the Oregon roster. 

That said, first blood has been drawn and losing like that in game one has to be a gut punch. They're not in Oklahoma any more. They gave Oregon all they had and still let one slip away. Last night you could see their confidence slowly seep out as the Ducks fought back and the PK crowd got to them. Their second reliever, Patten was solid in the 8th but got rattled by the crowd and threw 8 straight balls putting Grant and Nishida on with BBs to lead off the 9th.

To get the game winning walk off hit on their All-American closer Denton has to be a confidence crusher. The Ducks need to bring that same sense of urgency and fight tonight.

On to Omaha!

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 6/10/2023 at 12:09 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Let's accept the truth?  Fan attendance for Oregon Baseball has been bad....because Horton killed it in his last five years.  But start winning again, and "they will come."  Games like this, and the obvious trendline under Coach Waz over three years should change the size of crowds at PK Park next year!

Great game. But the best game I ever witnessed in person was the 1976 6th game between the Red Sox and the Reds at Fenway where in extra innings Carlton Fiske waved for the ball to stay fair as it cleared the Monster and won the game in a walk-off

From Good Will Hunting - 'I didn't know that Pudge was going to hit a home run.'.

Unfortunately, I was also in Fenway for game 7 when Doggy Perez hit a Bill Lee Moon Ball pitch out of the park as the Reds took the series.

One gripe. The home plate umpire was really inconsistent with the strike zone. Calling low and away to both sides of the plate hitters was painful to watch. The called strike three on Ceballos was the worst. Blue missed the catcher interference on Nishida's at bat and Waz had to hold his feet to the fire to get a review. We can only hope they move him out to second base and have someone else behind the plate

I think the review umps got it right, even on the calls that were against the Ducks and too close to call in real time. If they are as consistent tonight as they were last night, the game won't be altered by crappy umping.

• Applause 1