Jon Joseph

Future Conference Scheduling - The B1G Nails It!

The B1G conference leaders acted with sense and purpose in restructuring the conference scheduling format when UCLA and USC come on board in 2024.

1st and foremost the B1G, unlike the ACC and the SEC, has to courage to remain at 9 conference games. Divisions are gone which will prevent B1G W division winners from being defeated, often handily, by the B1G E champion in the conference champ game. Tradition was upheld with, for example, Iowa having 3 permanent opponents while Penn State has no permanent opponents. Unlike the SEC, where Georgia has yet to play at Texas A+M, all 14 teams will play one another in a three-year time frame. 

The author does a terrific job of pointing out the winners and losers of this flex-fixed scheduling format. 

I am most happy to see UCLA among the losers. UCLA will be the Minnesota of B1G football. Along with USC, UCLA football will be traveling over 15,000 miles in 2024. UCLA also drew Michigan as its 2nd permanent opponent along with USC.

Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan are also winners. No longer will these 3 have to face one another in every regular season. This makes all the sense in the world with a 12-team playoff coming in 2024. It's not hard to envision all 3 of these teams being in the playoff field.

I hope the Pac will come up with this kind of conference scheduling (I still find it difficult to believe that Hanks and the conference maintained the Cali scheduling agreement in 2023 and gave the Trojans an idle week the week before the champ game) come 2024.

Oregon - Oregon State and UW as permanent opponents makes sense as does elevating the date and time of the Oregon/UW game in recognition of this game being the conference's annual premier game.

Utah, for example, would have one permanent opponent, CU.  And vice versa for the Buffs.

SATURDAYTRADITION.COM

Saturday Tradition's Alex Hickey breaks down the winners, losers and other takeaways from the Big Ten's new football scheduling...

By the way, my congrats to the B1G do not extend to the illegitimate offspring at FOX. 

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thanks 1

On 6/11/2023 at 8:07 AM, Jon Joseph said:

UCLA also drew Michigan as its 2nd permanent opponent along with USC.

Whew!

On 6/11/2023 at 8:07 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan are also winners. No longer will these 3 have to face one another in every regular season.

I don't know if dropping a team or two and replacing with USC and UCLA is a win?  Seems like a draw or worse to me...

The B1G is going to become quite the haves/haves-not conference, as 5-6 teams will fight for the top while Northwestern, Illinois, Purdue, Rutgers, Maryland, Minnesota, etc., will be dramatically lower and fighting for crumbs.

No easy deal for USC/UCLA or any of the top B1G schools...

So if Our Beloved Ducks could dominate the Pac-12 the way Clemson used to with the ACC...and we make BIG BUCKS being in the Playoff with the result being almost as good as revenue as being a member of the B1G...wouldn't you agree that it would be....???

giphy.gif

The Trojans and Bruins could be envious in five years?

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

So, the Ducks could be saving the cost of nearly 7500 travel miles per season, just in football, let alone all other sports combined?

How many travel per game... 70 players, plus coaches, equipment managers, and other support staff?

An additional fifty to 60 individuals seem right?

Seems like the cost of travel alone would be daunting. 

That comes to at least 1,000,000 individual travel miles just for the football team.

• Cool 1

On 6/11/2023 at 11:55 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Whew!

I don't know if dropping a team or two and replacing with USC and UCLA is a win?  Seems like a draw or worse to me...

The B1G is going to become quite the haves/haves-not conference, as 5-6 teams will fight for the top while Northwestern, Illinois, Purdue, Rutgers, Maryland, Minnesota, etc., will be dramatically lower and fighting for crumbs.

No easy deal for USC/UCLA or any of the top B1G schools...

So if Our Beloved Ducks could dominate the Pac-12 the way Clemson used to with the ACC...and we make BIG BUCKS being in the Playoff with the result being almost as good as revenue as being a member of the B1G...wouldn't you agree that it would be....???

giphy.gif

The Trojans and Bruins could be envious in five years?

But their travel agent in LA will be smiling like this cool cat. LOL!

On 6/11/2023 at 1:33 PM, woundedknees said:

So, the Ducks could be saving the cost of nearly 7500 travel miles per season, just in football, let alone all other sports combined?

How many travel per game... 70 players, plus coaches, equipment managers, and other support staff?

An additional fifty to 60 individuals seem right?

Seems like the cost of travel alone would be daunting. 

That comes to at least 1,000,000 individual travel miles just for the football team.

One wonders if the LA schools will adopt the John Madden approach and travel by bus. Over 15,000 miles each for the football teams in 2023 and this just in, non-revenue sports play a lot more games than the football teams. 

The B1G indicated several months ago it would not require back-to-back road games for USC/UCLA in football, but on a peripheral topic I wonder what they will do with equipment truck trips?

We have followed the "Duck Equipment Truck" via the driver's Twitter account to bowl games and road trips like Georgia, but what if that was 4 trips per season?  That's quite the logistical issue.

Wonder if USC/UCLA might attempt to pack for two games and leave the truck in the East for awhile?

I presume other sports can fly with their equipment, but football is a different animal?

Aside from getting home late, I presume the logistics is why the majority of B1G programs don't want to add more West Coast opponents.

This is the link for the season mileage calculation:  

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

A few teams in the Big Ten Conference will be racking up airline miles when the league expands in the 2024 season

On 6/11/2023 at 11:26 AM, Jon Joseph said:

One wonders if the LA schools will adopt the John Madden approach and travel by bus. Over 15,000 miles each for the football teams in 2023 and this just in, non-revenue sports play a lot more games than the football teams. 

I wonder if the LA schools tried to join the B1G in football and basketball only, to stay in the PAC for the other sports????

It would have been a lot less travel, a lot cheaper, and a lot easier on the STUDENT/athletes. 

On 6/12/2023 at 1:15 PM, Jon Sousa said:

I wonder if the LA schools tried to join the B1G in football and basketball only, to stay in the PAC for the other sports????

It would have been a lot less travel, a lot cheaper, and a lot easier on the STUDENT/athletes. 

Well, that would be good for them.

Meanwhile the rest of us accommodate the LA schools on the Olympic sports, only to have them set the screws on us with the money sports--football and basketball revenue?

giphy.gif

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/12/2023 at 4:15 PM, Jon Sousa said:

Jon, love you man but why enable anyone who has stabbed you in the back? If UCLA wants to come all the way back-Pac fine. But other than that why would the Pac help out UCLA non-football sports and why would the B1G retain UCLA as a football member only when the value rests in Bruins basketball?

UCLA is only in the B1G because SC got the invite and because of basketball and not football. And so FOX could keep ESPN out of the LA market.

UCLA basketball is the straw that stirs the Bruins drink. The B1G/FOX for $60 to $65M a year will not allow UCLA CBB to escape the media rights deal it has signed on for. 

I like the idea of separating Football and Basketball from the other sports.  However, it would have to be for all colleges, not just UCLA and USC.  

Looks like UCLA is the one that gets nailed in 2024.

• Thanks 1

Imagine what a Baseball or Basketball team will be traveling with many MORE on the schedule!

• Yikes! 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/11/2023 at 10:33 AM, woundedknees said:

The equipment is a BIG expense because that stuff is usually driven to the game site. I know at least Oregon usually drives that stuff to the game because it's cheaper than flying it by plane. The amount of gear that is packed up and shipped for a game is a semi truck full. 

So USC and UCLA equipment trucker drives must be really really angry about the conference change. They get to drive those 15k+ miles. 

Edited by David Marsh

On 6/13/2023 at 1:43 PM, David Marsh said:

The equipment is a BIG expense because that stuff is usually driven to the game site. I know at least Oregon usually drives that stuff to the game because it's cheaper than flying it by plane. The amount of gear that is packed up and shipped for a game is a semi truck full. 

So USC and UCLA equipment trucker drives must be really really angry about the conference change. They get to drive those 15k+ miles. 

The B1G schedule and its travel demands will be hard enough on the Bruins in 2024 but UCLA also opens at Hawaii and then plays LSU in Baton Rogue.

I'm guessing the buyout is going to be at least 500K if not more.  I'm still mad all of college football didn't shove OOC games out 1 year because of COVID.  We never got tOSU to come to Autzen after the Ducks visited them in 2019.  This new game in 2032 hopefully won't be cancelled, since they never returned in our last home and home contract.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wonder if this is payback for the Tide submarining the move to 9 conference games?

In 2024 the Tide plays at Wisconsin, at LSU, and has Georgia coming to Tuscaloosa. As for UGA, Georgia plays Clemson OOC and at Bama.

WWW.YARDBARKER.COM

Breaking down the winners and losers of the SEC's 2024 schedule release.

B1G love for the Buckeyes. I'm shocked!

SATURDAYTRADITION.COM

Every Tuesday, Matt Hayes tackles the 10 hottest topics in the Big Ten …

USC, Traveler is no longer the lead pony.

SEC Pot, please call Kettle. 

SATURDAYTRADITION.COM

Greg McElroy offers some advice for the B1G.

• Thanks 1