Haywarduck

Can and Will Joining The Pac Elevate a Program?

Wondering if SDSU can elevate it's football, basketball programs by joining the Pac and by how much? Seems like sc has floundered lately, and if Riley leaves they could again. Much like Miami did, sc just might become a second tier program looking to find that magic again after leaving the Pac. SDSU could elevate and become the new darling in socal?

In Florida many smaller schools have done well as the big boys have floundered. Miami, FSU and Florida haven't been dominant and some other programs have filled the void. 

Can the Pac become the magic for SDSU and maybe even SMU? Maybe sc and cla have truly chased fools gold and the real gold is a west coast conference without the spoiled rotten programs.

• Thumbs Up 1

What is not to like about San Diego?  My only concern about them joining the Pac-12 is how so many great recruits from that area may now stay home instead of coming to the Ducks.  Although Dano does recruit nationally...

I think Utah is the great example for how it can elevate a program, although I believe the Aztecs will be competitive in the Pac-12 immediately, if not in the top five right away.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

SDSU made it to the championship game in men's basketball this year, so I'd say they're already at a pretty high level in that sport. 🙂

• Thumbs Up 5

Elevate? SDSU played for the CBB title last season and has a winning record in CFB versus the Pac.

Love your comments.

• Thumbs Up 1

I generally concur that SDSU will thrive in the PAC-12. Already is  legit in MBB and has a winning record in recent years against PAC teams in football. I think that the ponies (SMU) have a great chance of becoming relevant as well if they can tap more readily into the deep well of Texas high school football talent.

As for USC in the football scene of the B1G, I believe  that Lincoln Riley is one of the best offensive minds anywhere and is likely to rival OSU for top offensive honors almost right away. If the man ever takes defense more seriously, hiring a top defensive czar and leaving the guy to run that side of the ball, USC may become a perennial contender in a conference that I see as somewhat overrated. If it means anything (and I hope we never have to find this out), I think that the Ducks would fit right in among the contenders as well as might Utah and the dreaded Huskies. Just my opinion.