Pennsylvania Duck

QUAAACK! Ducks Land West Linn 5-star K Gage Hurych in 2024 Class

Ducks land commitment from 5-star K Gage Hurych in 2024 class

On Thursday afternoon, 5-star West Linn kicker Gage Hurych announced that he would be committing to his home-state Ducks and continuing his football career inside Autzen Stadium.

According to Chris Sailer Kicking — the preeminent special teams recruiting evaluation site — Hurych has been rated as the No. 24 special teams player in the 2024 class, with a 5-star evaluation classifying him as a player who could start for an FBS power five school as a freshman.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Ducks land commitment from 5-star K Gage Hurych in 2024 class

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

That is a fantastic write-up about the kicker, (above) and goes to show how Dano is stacking the talent at every position!  Recruit like crazy, and find out who is the best...

Pre-Game Lanning by J3P.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1

Mr. FishDuck

Gotta have a ton of kickers. Sadly it seems like kickers are far more volitile when it comes to recruitment than other positions. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Didn't know they rated kickers. 5* is 5*. Welc9me to the flock

On 6/29/2023 at 5:02 PM, Log Haulin said:

Didn't know they rated kickers. 5* is 5*. Welc9me to the flock

It's a little different system, kicker specific, and we've had some 5* before that didn't pan out.  Not sure how Utah did it, or what they were rated, but them and UCLA seemed to have a long history of always having all-American punters and kickers.  We had the punter that was a Ray Guy finalist back in the Chip Kelly years, but hopefully this kid will be at that level.  Morgan Flint wasn't the 55 yd. FG every time kid, but was very consistent inside 45.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Never put stock in the whole 5 star kicker thing, been burned too many times by that to put any stock into kicker/punter rankings.  I'm sure he has talent, but that is probably the least reliable ranking system in football/basketball.  

• Mic drop 1

At one time I was a 5 star beer drinker. Today I’m probably a 1 star.😆

• Haha 1
  • Great post! 1

When you have a self anointed, preeminent special teams recruiting evaluation business stating one of their camp kids is the best take it with a grain of salt. Chris Sailer Kicking brings in kids for one day camps for $355, then another 'invitational camp' for $655 all the while touting their connections to all D1 programs in the nation.

I have faith in Lannings ability to evaluate talent. I only hope he isn't relying on a this guy with a stopwatch, like the parents in the background are.

By the way Rivals doesn't even rate kickers. The 5* rating is a mirage, and something bought, more than earned, my two cents.

sl22-1.jpg

Sadly, this is true.

sl21-1.jpg

Edited by Haywarduck
  • Thumbs Up 2