Charles Fischer

Canzano: Pac-12 Presidents Feel, 'The Pressure is Off' (??)

To summarize Canzano's new article today, (and I highly recommend subscribing to him) is...

1. San Diego State is on an island of limbo between not being with any conference at the moment.

2. The Ducks have been operating for months under the guidance of two interim presidents. John Karl Scholz was hired in March. He officially took his post on July 1 and holds the Pac-12 CEO Group vote for UO. I am told by sources in Eugene that he is up to speed on the media-rights front.

3. The College Football Playoff is expanding for the 2024 season and the new TV deal is going to bring a windfall. Does the Pac-12 want to split those first-year CFP shares 12 ways or 10? At this point, SDSU would probably agree to join as early as possible and forgo the CFP money in year No. 1.

4. The Pac-12 doesn’t yet have a completed and signed media-rights deal. I continue to be told that the presidents and chancellors like the numbers they’ve seen and feel good about where this is headed. One member of the CEO Group told me “the pressure is off.” (??)

-----------------------------------------

My Duck-Buddies...the Presidents are acting like there is tremendous stuff going on behind-the-scenes that is positive to the situation--of which no one has any clue about.  That part of the drama will be so interesting later when things are announced because if the deal is not good--then Canzano and Wilner get a credibility black-eye

If the contract is good, then all the positive vibes about the upcoming media contract were justified after all.  There are some journalists who are not going to look good regardless of how this turns out.

Oregon Poster_Pac12 Video.jpg

• Mic drop 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

"The pressure is off!" Muhammed Saeed al-Sharif - Saddam Hussein's PR guy. 

Nothing to see here, move right along.

The Pac-12 is Doomed, as we are creating

the "Mother-of-All-Conferences."

Husky Mod Explaining Recruiting.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1

Mr. FishDuck

Thanks Charles for this update!

😀👍 

On 7/4/2023 at 10:34 AM, Charles Fischer said:

The Pac-12 is Doomed, as we are creating

the "Mother-of-all-Conferences."

And you thought joining the BIG was going to increase travel time!

• Applause 1

"SO AT LEAST THAT'S MY HOPE "... How much more indicative the bias for the SEC/B1G can Klatt be?

• Applause 2

On 7/4/2023 at 4:56 PM, woundedknees said:

"SO AT LEAST THAT'S MY HOPE "... How much more indicative the bias for the SEC/B1G can Klatt be?

I think he ha$ a million or so rea$ons to be bia$ed.

On 7/4/2023 at 10:12 AM, Charles Fischer said:

If the contract is good, then all the positive vibes about the upcoming media contract were justified after all.  There are some journalists who are not going to look good regardless of how this turns out.

My main question, one that I've not heard the likes of Canzano or AD's/Presidents address, is what the "take home pay" for the new media deal will be.

For example, all the other conferences are being paid large lump sums of cash by TV networks, who are going to roll into town, set up shop, broadcast the game, and bail. Sounds good to me.

But what happens if Apple TV is a big part of a PAC media deal, and they don't roll into town with any production trucks, no cameras, no physical support whatsoever? No, in fact they ask the PAC to pay for that through the PAC-10 Network?

Well, in that case a $32-35M deal wouldn't really be a "real" $35M deal unless I am missing something. Who will be paying for the PAC-10 production costs?

Maybe I am missing something simple. Can someone enlighten me? 

The PAC-12 has shown the bottom line numbers, and will when everything is announced, but I do not have the prior ones memorized.

They showed us us net from all revenue and all expenses, and I am sure they will again.

Mr. FishDuck