FishDuck Article

Will Stein’s Oregon Offense: The Tight End Slip

Coach Will Stein comes from a school of offense that is very creative, and at times even tricky — as illustrated by the throwback screen we studied a few weeks ago, and the tricks don’t stop there. His offense has roots that go back to Coach Gus Malzahn’s system, which includes one of his favorite trick plays. The play itself ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Coach Will Stein comes from a school of offense that is very creative, and at times even tricky — as illustrated by the throwback screen we studied...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Thanks Coach Eric for another glimpse of Will Stein's offense! 

Knowing the ability of Josh Conerly to catch passes you could also go tackle eligible with him doing the Slip route.  More trickery.  Love it.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/10/2023 at 9:08 AM, Smith72 said:

Thanks Coach Eric for another glimpse of Will Stein's offense! 

Knowing the ability of Josh Conerly to catch passes you could also go tackle eligible with him doing the Slip route.  More trickery.  Love it.

Charles and I were just talking yesterday about the possibility of using Conerly for this. In that case, you probably wouldn’t have to use the huddle to disguise things either. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Seems like another play where if you see tendencies you take advantage of them. What scenarios do you see this play as most effective in?

It did seem like there was a missed read by the LB, or it would have been well defended? The TE didn't even act like he was blocking and the LB didn't even look at him.

Great stuff to ponder and look for as the games get closer!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/10/2023 at 6:36 AM, Coach Eric Boles said:

huddle to disguise things either.

I do love the idea of using a huddle to just disguise stuff in general.

Basically what if a huddle isn't actually a huddle sort of thing. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you, Coach. I love the Xs and Os articles you and Charles bring to OBD. Very enlightening.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/10/2023 at 8:46 AM, Haywarduck said:

What scenarios do you see this play as most effective in?

I personally like it inside the 20 yard line, but what I also love is how it messes with their mind.  It will begin to sow seeds of doubt..."what else has Oregon got up their sleeve?"  That will create hesitancy, which is the same as reacting slow on defense.

I love these!  Thanks so much to Coach Boles!

Terrance Ferguson is perfect for this play...

Terrance Ferguson_Eugene Johnson.jpg

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/10/2023 at 11:46 AM, Haywarduck said:

Seems like another play where if you see tendencies you take advantage of them. What scenarios do you see this play as most effective in?

It did seem like there was a missed read by the LB, or it would have been well defended? The TE didn't even act like he was blocking and the LB didn't even look at him.

Great stuff to ponder and look for as the games get closer!

Really, you’re trying to catch them off guard with the alignment. There’s nobody really assigned to the tackle, so there’s no real tendency to take advantage of.

The offense uses that huddle and getting to the line quickly to hide the alignment of their players. The defense would have  to recognize what’s happening pretty quickly.

Edited by Coach Eric Boles
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1