Pennsylvania Duck

2023 Pac-12 Football Media Day: July 21

Oregon's trio of speakers for Pac-12 Media Day Announced

The Oregon Ducks will send head football coach Dan Lanning and two of the most accomplished players on its roster for the 2023 Pac-12 Football Media Day.

The league announced the attendees and participants, as well as the times every speaker would be at a podium for interviews ahead of next week's event.

For Oregon, head football coach Dan Lanning will speak with the media at approximately 1:35 P.M. PT.

Following Lanning's time with the media, Oregon starting quarterback and Heisman Candidate Bo Nix and returning starting linebacker Jeffrey Bassa will speak with the media at an estimated time of 2 p.m. PT.

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon will send head coach Dan Lanning and two of their most accomplished players to Pac-12 Media Day.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Pac-12 announces all 24 student-athletes heading to 2023 Football Media Day

The 2023 Pac-12 Football season officially begins on Friday, July 21 with the league's kickoff event, Pac-12 Football Media Day live from Resorts World Las Vegas.

All 12 head coaches and two student-athletes from each Pac-12 team are set to take part, with the Pac-12 announcing today all 24 student-athletes headed to Las Vegas.

Coverage of the day-long event will be available across Pac-12 Networks, Pac-12 Insider, Pac-12.com and the Pac-12 Now app.

PAC-12.COM

The 2023 Pac-12 Football season officially begins on Friday, July 21 with the league's kickoff event, Pac-12 Football Media Day live...

It's rumored that George Kliavkoff will speak. Will he need a ventriloquist?

• Haha 2

Pac-12 Networks to deliver exclusive all-day coverage of 2023 Pac-12 Football Media Day on Friday, July 21

Pac-12 Football Media Day, presented by 76®, kicks off the league’s highly-anticipated 2023 season on Friday, July 21 from Resorts World in Las Vegas with exclusive all-day coverage on Pac-12 Network.

The day-long event begins at 8 a.m. PT / 9 a.m. MT with Pac-12 Commissioner George Kliavkoff’s opening remarks and continues with all 12 teams’ head coaches and student-athletes on the main stage with Ashley Adamson, Yogi Roth and media in attendance.

For the first time ever, Pac-12 Networks’ live coverage of the event will be available for all to watch via Pac-12 Now (app or Pac-12.com) and Pac-12 Insider.

PAC-12.COM

Highly-anticipated 2023 Pac-12 Football season kicks off in Las Vegas with new-look broadcast coverage on Pac-12 Network and...

Whatever.  After so many years of reading and listening to it...

...what we get is Coachspeak and....

giphy.gif

Frankly, I learn a ton more from all of you than I do them.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I'll pass... 

I'll be honest the most interesting part of the event is when the press is asking questions of the coaches and players. 

But instead we get the players and coaches talking to the pac-12 media people and frankly their questions are just terrible. 

They don't show the decent media interactions, just the really boring ones. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Bald Faced Truth Podcast with John Canzano

John Canzano previews Pac-12 media day with Matt Prehm of 247 Sports.

• -- What questions are Canzano & Prehm looking forward to asking Dan Lanning, Bo Nix, Jonathan Smith & Coach Prime?
  • -- What to expect from George Kliavkoff on media rights negotiations
  • -- Why there is more pressure on Nix to succeed this year than last

Join John and Matt as they talk topics above...

For those of you not enamored with the Pac-12 Media Day broadcast, John Canzano will also be broadcasting live from the event during his regular podcast time. I ran across this on his podcast site today...

John Canzano gets you ready for Pac-12 media day this Friday in Las Vegas, where Canzano will take the show on the road and broadcast live from Resorts World Las Vegas featuing exclusive interviews with George Kliavkoff, Dan Lanning, Jonathan Smith, Caleb Williams, Deion Sanders, and more.

Below is Canzano's entire podcast from today, over 2 hrs long. However, he talks about his Media Day Podcast which will be from 3:00-6:00PM on Friday, at the beginning of the podcast. I'll try to remember and get you the link that day.

Autzen Audibles Podcast

Previewing Pac-12 Media Day

• -- Discussion the Pac-12 preseason All-Conference teams that were released
    • - Matt talks about his voting process for the teams
  • -- The guys break down what they hope to learn and expect to see at the league's one-day Pac-12 Media Event

Join Matt Prehm and Erik Skopil as they discuss topics above...

John Canzano talks to Jon Wilner, the Pac-12 hotline, to preview Friday's Pac-12 media day in Las Vegas

• -- The impact of Deion Sanders' absence from media day
  • -- Why Oregon State is flying under the radar
  • -- Thoughts on Arizona sending quarterback Jayden de Laura to the event
  • -- How commissioner George Kliavkoff should handle the tough questions

Join in the discussion with John and Jon as they discuss Media Day topics above and more...Recommended, lots of info given

Canzano: Pac-12 shouldn't feed trolls at media day

It was just a year ago that George Kliavkoff absorbed the heat of the spotlight at Pac-12 Conference Football Media Day. The commissioner made an opening statement, then fielded questions while trying to get his feet underneath him.

"With respect to the Big 12 being open for business, I appreciate that," Kliavkoff quipped. "We haven't decided if we're going shopping there yet or not."

Kliavkoff later told me that his frustration stemmed from 29 days spent watching grenades get launched from "every corner of the Big 12." He was weary with the disinformation campaign and annoyed at what many believed to be an orchestrated attempt to erode the Pac-12's brand.

"I understand why they're doing it," Kliavkoff told me, "when you look at the relative media value between the two conferences. I get it, I get why they're scared, why they're trying to destabilize it. I was just tired of that."

What will the Pac-12 commissioner's tone be on Friday in Las Vegas? What will Kliavkoff say about the Big 12, if anything, after a year of chronic subterfuge?

WWW.KSL.COM

Commissioner needs a strong, transparent performance.

Pac-12 Network schedule for Media Day

Commissioner George Kliavkoff’s opening remarks begin the day at 8:00 PT.

Coach/Player interviews start with Utah at 8:45 PT.

The schedule published below includes a few changes from what was originally published earlier in the week.

Oregon's schedule did not change. Dan Lanning will speak with the media at 1:35 PT.

Quarterback Bo Nix and linebacker Jeffrey Bassa will speak with the media at 2:00 PT.

Here is a schedule from Pac-12 for all teams...

On 7/17/2023 at 10:01 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

For those of you not enamored with the Pac-12 Media Day broadcast, John Canzano will also be broadcasting live from the event during his regular podcast time. I ran across this on his podcast site today...

John Canzano gets you ready for Pac-12 media day this Friday in Las Vegas, where Canzano will take the show on the road and broadcast live from Resorts World Las Vegas featuing exclusive interviews with George Kliavkoff, Dan Lanning, Jonathan Smith, Caleb Williams, Deion Sanders, and more.

Below is Canzano's entire podcast from today, over 2 hrs long. However, he talks about his Media Day Podcast which will be from 3:00-6:00PM on Friday, at the beginning of the podcast. I'll try to remember and get you the link that day.

This will likely draw more fans than the ones trying to find the Pac-12 Network.

SEC Media Days. 4 days of wall-to-wall coverage on the SEC Network which is subscribed to by 4x+ as many folks who subscribe to the Pac-12 network.

Hats off to Dan Lanning and his staff for requiting so well with one hand tied behind Oregon's back.

Just ran across this...Nix will be interviewed on ESPN too

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1

Everything Commissioner George Kliavkoff said during Pac-12 Media Day regarding media rights and expansion

A complete transcript of everything Commissioner George Kliavkoff said regarding media rights and expansion from Pac-12 Media Day.

247SPORTS.COM

A complete transcript of everything Commissioner George Kliavkoff said regarding media rights and expansion from Pac-12 Media Day.

Oregon QB Bo Nix on transfer portal, NIL topics: 'I really take pride in what I've had the opportunity to do'

Before Oregon's representatives took the stage at Pac-12 Media Day, quarterback Bo Nix joined ESPN's Sportscenter for a 15-minute interview. Throughout the interview, Nix was asked his opinion, as a transfer quarterback and someone who benefits from NIL, what he thinks of the topics as a whole, and Kiffin's comments.

"Being a graduate transfer really set my career up for success," said Nix. "And I was able to choose a place like Oregon and go and be a fit to them and be that extra piece that they were needing for their puzzle.

I think NIL because there are so many people that have done it before me, I really take pride in what I've had the opportunity to do. Being a quarterback, not only at Auburn but at Oregon, is a valuable thing. It really is nothing to be taken for granted. It's a blessing to be a part of.

I haven't been able to find video of this interview yet. I thought Bo spoke well and was a good representative for the Ducks...

247SPORTS.COM

In the midst of Pac-12 Media Day, Oregon quarterback Bo Nix joined Sportscenter live and provided his thoughts on the transfer...

If you were unable to watch, here is George Kliavkoff speaking this morning...

PAC-12.COM

Pac-12 Commissioner George Kliavkoff opened 2023 Pac-12 Football Media Day on Friday, July 21 in Las Vegas...

Dan Lanning press conference at Media Day...

PAC-12.COM

Oregon head coach Dan Lanning speaks to the media at the 2023 Pac-12 Football Media Day in Las Vegas on July 21.

Everything HC Dan Lanning said at Pac-12 Media Day - Transcript

247SPORTS.COM

Here's a full transcript of Dan Lanning's press conference at Pac-12 Media Day.

This is very old school but I can't help myself- Nix and Bassa both had suits on.  Ties and all.  Thus far they were the only ones.  Not saying the others looked bad, they had on their school logo polos but Nix and Bassa turned it up a notch.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 2

Bo Nix and Jeffrey Bassa press conference...

PAC-12.COM

Oregon quarterback Bo Nix and linebacker Jeffrey Bassa address the media at the 2023 Pac-12 Football Media Day in Las Vegas...

Everything QB Bo Nix and LB Jeffrey Bassa said at Pac-12 Media Day - Transcript

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon's player representatives at the Pac-12 Media Day, Bo Nix and Jeffrey Bassa met with the media early on Friday afternoon...

WATCH: Bo Nix and Jeffrey Bassa breakdown the upcoming 2023 football season

Oregon senior quarterback Bo Nix and junior linebacker Jeffrey Bassa discuss the upcoming season and the team's expectations this coming year.

247SPORTS.COM

Hear from Oregon senior QB Bo Nix and junior Safety Jeffrey Bassa.

WATCH: Dan Lanning previews the 2023 season at Pac-12 Media Day

Hear from Oregon head football coach Dan Lanning from Pac-12 Media Day as he previews the upcoming season.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thought George did a good job and appreciate him mentioning the benefit of taking the high road. However, his comment about on purpose not making an announcement, but rather focus on players and coaches, seemed to invite conjecture and predictions?

Did he just stumble on this? would have been best just to be direct about no comments about any of that?

Dan Lanning 'really excited' by team's new talent at linebacker

Dan Lanning exhibited confidence about this year's revamped linebacker corps at Friday's Pac-12 Media Day in Las Vegas.

Oregon's linebacker room has nearly undergone a complete overhaul this offseason. Jeffrey Bassa represents the only returning contributor, while redshirt Devon Jackson is the only other scholarship player back.

Dan Lanning was intentional with how he went about filling out that room. The team added a pair of transfers (Jestin Jacobs and Connor Soelle), moved a safety (Jamal Hill) to linebacker and signed one prep backer (Jerry Mixon) too.

None of those players resemble the broadly-built thumpers like Noah Sewell and Jackson LaDuke from a year ago. Instead the new additions will attempt to infuse more speed, athleticism and coverage ability to a position that has not-so gradually shifted in recent years.

247SPORTS.COM

Dan Lanning exhibited confidence about this year's revamped linebacker corps at Friday's Pac-12 Media Day in Las Vegas.

Bo Nix on SportsCenter this morning...

Thanks, PA for the great posts.

GK - 'We have nothing to announce in regard to the media deal and have decided not to announce it today so we can focus on football." Right?

I find myself once again, in total agreement with Charles. There's vapid and then there are football media days which put the V in vapid.

image.thumb.gif.43ca54feaa67831ec8d25787a0b7f255.gif

John Canzano just posted 12 one-on-one interviews he did at Media Day. I had previously just posted the ones of interest to Oregon. You can select to listen to coaches of other schools here.

Pac-12 Media Day gave me the opportunity to sit down with every head football coach, two dozen of the conference’s top players and a handful of school administrators on Friday.

My office was a cubicle on radio row where I conducted a series of revealing 1-on-1 interviews.

UCLA’s Chip Kelly talked about the first time he saw De’Anthony Thomas. USC’s Lincoln Riley spoke about the impact of the late Mike Leach.

And Oregon’s Dan Lanning talked football, family and movies.

Bo Nix on what brought him back? Caleb Williams on his fingernails? And Utah’s Cam Rising on his injured knee?

Here are 12 of the most intriguing, entertaining and enlightening listens — in no particular order — from the event:

WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

A dozen 1-on-1 interviews.

Notable Quotes from Dan Lanning on Pac-12 media day

On Friday, coaches and players across the conference are spending the day sitting down and answering the media’s questions about their teams and the upcoming season. In 2023, the delegates from the Oregon Ducks’ party are head coach Dan Lanning, QB Bo Nix, and ILB Jeffery Bassa.

As the Ducks look to this season, there are a few questions reverberating across the Oregon football community, such as concerns about the offense line, whether or not the defense is improved from last season, and whether or not the success of the Ducks in 2022 was a fluke or sign of the times.

Below are Dan Lanning’s most notable responses to the media’s array of questions:

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon Ducks’ head coach Dan Lanning talks to the media ahead of 2023 football season.

Bo Nix dishes on Dan Lanning and Kenny Dillingham at Pac-12 media day

In addition to Dan Lanning and Jeffery Bassa, Oregon Ducks QB Bo Nix took the stage for Pac-12 media day, on Friday afternoon. He answered the media’s questions about his relationships with other players and coaches, past and present, as well as questions about the upcoming season for the Oregon Ducks.

Nix had some good insights into how the Ducks will fare in 2023, as well as how things have changed since last season. One of the things Dan Lanning brought up in his time with the media was the introduction of a new focus for the whole team this offseason of going from “good to great” as a program, which was an idea that was echoed by both Nix and Bassa in their time with the media.

Below are Bo Nix’s most notable responses to questions from Pac-12 media day:

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

“He was one of the biggest reasons I came to Oregon to begin with.” Bo Nix on head coach Dan Lanning

• Thumbs Up 1

Oregon confident in its ability to improve the pass rush in 2023

The 2022 Oregon Defense was not effective in getting to the quarterback and creating pressure. Oregon's 16 total sacks was the worst total the Ducks posted in a season since the 1986 campaign. Oregon's defense retooled and reloaded its unit to be much improved this coming fall.

"I think we have better depth, better understanding of what we're trying to accomplish," said Oregon head football coach Dan Lanning at the Pac-12 Football Media Day event in Las Vegas.

Oregon returns starting defensive linemen Brandon Dorlus and Casey Rogers from last year's unit, two impressive athletes that showed marked improvement from their 2021 football seasons.

Holiday Bowl MVP Mase Funa also returns for a fifth year of college football to help provide leadership and production on the edge as yet another returning starter.

247SPORTS.COM

The Ducks are confident their pass rush will be improved after a poor 2022 season.

Lanning, Nix excited to face former Duck OC Kenny Dillingham this fall

Dan Lanning didn't mince his words when he expressed his desired outcome for this fall's game in Tempe.

His fondness for new Arizona State head coach Kenny Dillingham, who was Oregon's offensive coordinator a year ago, won't lessen the beatdown he hopes to put on the Sun Devils on Nov. 18.

"When you play him it's gonna be like playing your brother. Like if I was playing my brother in basketball right now, I'd want to whoop his butt.

That's the goal," Lanning said at Friday's Pac-12 Football Media Day in Las Vegas. "But Kenny's a competitor too, and he's a great coach.

Obviously, he's familiar with that area that's home for him. I think he'll do great things with the Sun Devils."

Oregon's quarterback shared a similar sentiment when was asked about facing Dillingham this fall. Like Lanning, Bo Nix has a longstanding relationship with the former Duck coach. He acted as Nix's first collegiate offensive coordinator at Auburn, and played a major role in bringing him west last year.

"First of all, he was one of the biggest reasons I came to Oregon to begin with. He taught me so much throughout the season, about life, about football, coverages, offense, scheme," Nix said. "I can't wait to beat his tail in November, though. I'm excited about that."

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon coach Dan Lanning and quarterback Bo Nix communicated their desires to get the upper hand over former coach and...

Having fun again: Oregon QB Bo Nix is taking it all in during his final college football season

WWW.PFF.COM

"I’ve been through all of it, the good and the bad," Nix said. "I’m still the same guy. I just want to show that to other people."

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

The Pac-12's best and brightest descended upon Sin City on Friday to meet the media to kick off the 2023 campaign. Whose...