Haywarduck

Total Offense, Defense Rankings 2023

Where will Oregon rank on total defense and offense at the end of the season? I pick Oregon to be in the top 10 on offense, once again. With even more weapons, an O-line with experience, and a few early games to gel they should be around where they were last year.

The defense was 71st last season. Georgia is the only team with both offense and defense in the top ten. I don't think this is realistic for us. I look for us to get in the top twenty if we are to compete for anything big this year.

I also look for the Oregon defense to never be anywhere near 70th again under Lanning. What are the thoughts on how these two statistics will play out?

Another favorite stat is turnover margin. Oregon did pretty well last year and it would be nice to continue to be in the upper third. One thing is for sure sc won't be the top turnover margin team again. That was the stat that allowed them to hold it all together last year.

I don't look at ranking as I do the number of points per game average.

I say: score 40 points average per game on offense, and Oregon's improved defense holds the opponent average to scoring only 22 points a game, (we have done that before) and we will win a boatload of games.  

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

I'm optimistic as well; but, wow is it likely the Ducks will be breaking in a lot of new players this season?

On paper, it could be argued, the Ducks might be expected to only return 11 starters (6 offense/5 defense).

Now there are a bunch of new guys who either transfer in with plenty of talent/experience or were young last year and should be expected to be even better this year.

Many names like: Tez Johnson, Holden, Bryant Jr., Conerly, Powers-Johnson, Angilau, Cornelius, Strother, Popo (injury), Burch, Jacobs, Soelle, Tysheem Johnson, Khyree Jackson, Evan Williams, Nikko Reed, Florence, Uiagalelei and others. All of which probably could be argued push to start or at least be penciled in to have a big role this year, and that's a pretty big list of names.

How fast does it come together; and, do all the new pieces being added bite the team at least once in the first 7-8 games of the year before they settle in?

If the OL comes together, Nix stays healthy, and Stein continues his ascension as a play caller and OC (Dave Bartoo of College Football Matrix had him as a top 5 first year OC at UTSA last year), it's hard to not see a top 20 offense (very possibly better). Bartoo points to a possible Nix Effect with Dillingham last season (not having a top 50 offense the previous two years at FSU then having a huge first year at Oregon, Stein very well may have a similar second season at Oregon with a talented and healthy veteran QB to plan around).

On defense, no where to go but up? While a few of the advanced statistics aren't absolutely horrible, simply hard to suggest much past the simple "eyeball test" (and it seemed to me some of the much discussed late game choices to "go for it" on offense could be argued were less about the young staff gambling and more just about a lack of confidence in the other side of the ball).

I like the additions on all three levels on defense and while it is always not good to not read too much into the spring game, it was encouraging. With hopefully a bump going from year one to year two with the new defensive staff, I would have to think anything much higher than 50 would be a bit disappointing.

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Last years defense was extremely disappointing. Couldn’t stop the run or the pass and couldn’t get off the field on 3rd or 4th down. I expect to see a big improvement over last. Hoping for a top 2 defense in the pack and top 20 nationally.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 7/16/2023 at 9:22 PM, Just Ducky said:

Last years defense was extremely disappointing. Couldn’t stop the run or the pass and couldn’t get off the field on 3rd or 4th down. I expect to see a big improvement over last. Hoping for a top 2 defense in the pack and top 20 nationally.

no. 2 in the PAC would be reasonable. I'd probably put Utah at No. 1. 

I think Oregon can take the PAC this year defensively if they show the improvement they flashed in the spring game. The majority of the major weaknesses that have plagued this defense sense 2020 season were gone. 

Oregon had the athletes and Lanning has the scheme... Just need those two get in sync. 

I think Oregon's offense will be as good or better next year. Especially if we don't run the quarterback out of an empty set!!!

• Thumbs Up 2

I wouldn't be surprised if we have a top 25 D.  Our offense will score a lot, quick, and we may not be #1 D in the Pac, but out offense could be top 5, in G5 at least.  On offense, 

we top Usuc in the Pac as well as the mutt dog perpil pooch GPA prowesserers 

If Dan has done the portal plugging we are all excited about on D, the D should and hopefully will step up from underperforming in 2022. 

But so much of these rankings depend upon the quality of the opposition you face on O and D. The Oregon D will be facing prolific O's in the conference and at Texas Tech. Going against the defending Heisman Trophy winner as well as UW's Penix and Utah's Rising among others. I see no other conference in CFB in 2023 that will be better on offense top to bottom than the Pac-12. 

With a balanced attack and an upgrade at WR, the O should pick up right where it started. I expect the OL will come through and someone will step up at TE. Bucky Irving made tremendous progress as a receiver last season and I expect this will continue in 2023. Lots of weapons for Will Stein and Bo to play with.