Jon Joseph

SIX and SIX

6-6, Mario's record in the last 12 conference away games.

Pease insert excuse X+ here. No starting center? No OC coach? Not buying. No way. No how.

IMO, there is no excuse for this record with the kind of rosters that are playing for Mario in a dog meat conference. NONE, ZERO, NADA, ZIP,  NO WAY.

Oregon is consistently losing on the road to far less talented opponents. 

How baffling is the win in Columbus?

Today, defeat pulled from the jaws of victory.

Blame the refs? OK. But the team that Stanford put on the field had no reason to have the Ducks down 17-7 at the half. 

No way but for bonehead plays this Cardinal team should have driven the field to tie the game.

Love the man. Love the recruiter. But getting the team ready to play and to finish a game?

How about NO!

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

I only saw the last 22 minutes. So they didn't look too bad on offense and the D was locked down. 

From what I can gather though things were less than stellar in the first half.

In the end though Jon, that PI call decided the game. Not only was making any call in that situation just plain bad.......but it was the exact wrong call, as in the replays you could clearly see the Stanford receiver shove Wright to create separation.  

Coach did make a bad call trying to throw on that 2nd and 18 play though. Wish they would of tried something with some mis-direction around one of the ends on that 2nd down play.

That game was a classic case of over refereeing and deciding games and even seasons. Really bad......really bad.

• Like 1

Jon, I thought the early game plan was inadequate, but Duck adjustments seemed good enough to win.  

Sadly, our youthful exuberance and inexperience resulted in some ill timed penalties that opened the door for Stanford to exploit our smaller defensive backs with big receivers.  This one felt like deja vu all over again at the farm.

I concur, Jon.  I think we’ve seen enough.  I think Cristobal is just a few more underachieving, mismanaged games away from “the Hot Seat”.  So far, I would have to say, he has not shown that he has “it”.

In 5 games we have played well the entire game once. The other 4 times, against far inferior opponents, we have played only half of the game. We have an adequate QB. Tonight he threw 1 interception but could easily have been 4. His yardage was acceptable , solely because the 5 to 6 yard passes were turned into larger gains ( 1 for 66 or so yards) due to our running.  1 pass down field was caught...1. Wrong reads.  This is an experienced QB.  Coaches say he gives us the best chance to win ..that alone worries me. 

Clock management AGAIN. Cristobal a great man, probably best recruiter around, but can he coach on game day?

Hindsight always easier but man, in 5 games we have played well once.  We are not getting better, but worse. Looking at the other top 10 teams, I have never felt we were in the same ballpark with most of them.   But i have to admit, before season began, thought we were a year or two away from top 10 . But with every win ) other than Ohio ST, i thought " this is not what a top 10 team looks like, and top 3....no way.

So, who are these young men and can Mario coach them up from this loss ? 

Look back at the last play each team ran in overtime. 

Stanford hit a slant with perfect timing and the receiver carried his momentum into the end zone while fighting off several tacklers. 

Oregon QB on the run and throws a desperation pass a yard or two out of bounds, thus never giving the receiver a chance to make the first down. 

Oregon is out of sync with Cristobal as the head coach.  Moorhead and DeRuyter are not fixing the problems.  This team has #3 players but is only playing half as good as the Beavers. 

On 10/2/2021 at 7:42 PM, Duckdude said:

I concur, Jon.  I think we’ve seen enough.  I think Cristobal is just a few more underachieving, mismanaged games away from “the Hot Seat”.  So far, I would have to say, he has not shown that he has “it”.

The question for this season is:  Why hasn't Moorhead and DeRuyter fixed all the problems?  They have players that are better than every team they have played so far.  Brown is getting worse, yet he stays in there.  Why couldn't Moorhead call plays from the booth?  Or with technology, from home?

So, what is the answer?  Fire Cristobal?  I don’t think that is gonna happen.  Even if you did, who you gonna replace him with?  

For a bunch of youngsters, incredibly talented as they are, I think you have to let them learn from this and grow.  Most on this honorable site felt this team was a two loss team at best, before the season began, the they upended tOSU. and suddenly they were playoff material.

I was the one with the 15-0 pipe dream, I didn’t really think they could do it, but I sure wanted them to.  I am bummed, disgusted with the penalties (both deserved, and undeserved), aggravated by some of the play calls, and aggravated even more with some of AB’s decision making.

But at the end of the day, I remind myself, this is a game, played by kids, who are still learning to be men.  A game can only have one winner, and sometimes the breaks go the other way.  Am I happy with the loss? No.  But I think MC has things moving in a direction I will be happy to continue to watch.

Edited by PittDuck
  • Like 1

On 10/3/2021 at 3:33 AM, PittDuck said:

So, what is the answer?  Fire Cristobal?  I don’t think that is gonna happen.  Even if you did, who you gonna replace him with?  

For a bunch of youngsters, incredibly talented as they are, I think you have to let them learn from this and grow.  Most on this honorable site felt this team was a two loss team at best, before the season began, the they upended tOSU. and suddenly they were playoff material.

I was the one with the 15-0 pipe dream, I didn’t really think they could do it, but I sure wanted them to.  I am bummed, disgusted with the penalties (both deserved, and undeserved), aggravated by some of the play calls, and aggravated even more with some of AB’s decision making.

But at the end of the day, I remind myself, this is a game, played by kids, who are still learning to be men.  A game can only have one winner, and sometimes the breaks go the other way.  Am I happy with the loss? No.  But I think MC has things moving in a direction I will be happy to continue to watch.

I agree with your comment mostly.  My contention is with the statement that MC has things moving in a direction that you will be happy to watch.  Obviously you are speaking for yourself, but for me I feel like we are as far as we can get with MC as the coach.  I have hoped and been optimistic that at some point the light would come on and he would grow past these types of games being the norm where they aren't decided until the last possession.  Maybe I/we were spoiled with CK because it seemed we had one or two close conference games per year and a bunch of blowouts.  Now it seems we have one blowout per year and 11 or so close games with multiple losses.  

Edited by DCDuckfan

I agree DCDuckfan - I do not see team progressing, I see the opposite.

Since Marion and I love him as a man and a recruiter, has been the HC, has he progressed at all in having the team ready to play and executing the game plan on game day?

I haven't seen it.

Mario has already attended the Nick Saban Rehabilitation School for Terminated HCs.  I am not trying to be facetious or less than graceful to Mario, who by all accounts is a fine man.

I simply have come to believe that the man's DNA will not allow him to be an uber-successful head coach. What we see today is what we have and will get in the future.

Fire him? Who are going to hire who is better? I do know that at the end of the 2022 season Chip Kelly's buy out is $0.