Jon Joseph

Colorado - With These Numbers, Wouldn't You Too Blow Up the Roster?

College Football Live on today's show took a deep dive into Prime Time's destruction and rebuild of the CU roster. The faint of heart may want to avoid looking at this pile of garbage.

2022 - Colorado went 1-11 with its lone win coming against Colorado State. Colorado drew approximately 17,000 fans to Folsom Field for its home games.

A few of Colorado's 2022 CFB Rankings out of 131 P5/G5 ranked teams. 

Points Per Game - Offense - 127 / Defense - 127

Yards Per Play - Offense - 125 / Defense - 130

Total QBR - Offense - 130 - / Defense - 130 

Points surrendered in the last 6 games - 42, 42, 49, 54, 53 (some improvement at least), and 63 given up to the Utes with Rising taking a seat in for the entire 2nd half.

This garbage reminds me of a quote from Oregon graduate John McKay in a post-game presser after his Tampa Bay Bucs team was, yet again, destroyed.

Reporter - 'Coach, what do you think about the execution of your offense?'

McKay - 'I'm all in favor of it.' 

If I was the new guy on the Boulder campus and the rules so allow as they do today, I'm following Prime's model all the way including all the way to selling out season tickets for the 2023 season. 

image.gif.661aa10f66d928a0d5f8734e0d5a46c3.gif

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Haha 1

No place to go but up.

What's intriguing to me is how the fanbase is so completely optimistic, as if Colorado was already back on the national scene and will put up double digit wins this year.

Most rebuilds are slow. Ask my wife... she's been working on me for 47 years.

I like the confidence. The PAC is strong this year so it's going to be hard for them to get back into a bowl game. It looks like that is what they are expecting.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I supposed it needed doing, yet a pretty awful way for a kid to be treated.

Those who made other teams were lucky, the others...

I know it has become al about $$, but it is still about the people too.

That said, it will be interesting to see how CU actually develops over the next 3-4 years with recruitment, player development, and W & L.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think so much of the shock if what Sanders did was that the bulk of this roster turned over before Spring. So the new coaching staff just decided to do a minimum evaluation of their roster talent before just gutting it. 

Granted... The transfer portal window for the window would have closed and they would have missed out on the bulk of this year's portal. Let's be real, the spring portal is a lot smaller than the winter portal. 

I think it's one ofany of the problems of the transfer portal. How can new coaches evalutate the talent they have and engage with the transfer portal and recruiting. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/24/2023 at 6:20 PM, DanLduck said:

I supposed it needed doing, yet a pretty awful way for a kid to be treated.

Those who made other teams were lucky, the others...

I know it has become al about $$, but it is still about the people too.

That said, it will be interesting to see how CU actually develops over the next 3-4 years with recruitment, player development, and W & L.

Good points. But I'd be far more ambivalent about his if the players who wanted to stay at CU did not have their scholarships honored. 

On 7/24/2023 at 4:10 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Good points. But I'd be far more ambivalent about his if the players who wanted to stay at CU did not have their scholarships honored. 

Excellent point.

• Applause 1

I know when I published this article I had a lot of disagreement. 

But I'll just put it out there again. 

FISHDUCK.COM

There is a strange rule in College Football where a first-year head coach with a program has the ability to...

I do feel that scholarships.should be honored. Though the nature of football these days is as such that coaches want and need to open up roster spots for players. 

Obviously if a player wants to hit the portal they lose their scholarship but if they don't want to portal and they want to stay they should have the opportunity to stay at their institution. 

To be it's all about choice. Choice for players to leave on their own free will. Choice for coaches to remove players from the team. And if removed (no choice in the matter) players can choose to stay and get their education. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/24/2023 at 5:28 PM, David Marsh said:

I know when I published this article I had a lot of disagreement. 

But I'll just put it out there again. 

FISHDUCK.COM

There is a strange rule in College Football where a first-year head coach with a program has the ability to...

I do feel that scholarships.should be honored. Though the nature of football these days is as such that coaches want and need to open up roster spots for players. 

Obviously if a player wants to hit the portal they lose their scholarship but if they don't want to portal and they want to stay they should have the opportunity to stay at their institution. 

To be it's all about choice. Choice for players to leave on their own free will. Choice for coaches to remove players from the team. And if removed (no choice in the matter) players can choose to stay and get their education. 

Honoring a scholarship, offered and accepted, should be just like the buyout cost when a coach is fired. When a coach is hired, both parties agree to terms for a (say, 4-5 year) contract. There is a buyout for the coach if he wants to leave, and there is a buyout for the school if they want to fire him.

In the athlete's case, the buyout for the student is the risk of losing a scholarship altogether by not hooking up in the portal, while the buyout for the school who wants to "fire" him should definitely be the honoring of the student's scholarship agreement 4-5 years or sooner at graduation. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My Better Angels require this.

Like all things in this life, football is a winnowing process. Not everyone who plays football will get a trophy in the real sense of the word, 'trophy.'

I played D3 football and not at the Mount Union or Wisconsin-Whitewater level. If you showed up you were on the roster. Wednesday was 'Lab Day' for Bio, Chem, and Physics. If a lab conflicted with practice you went to the lab, no questions asked, and no demotion from your position on the team. Football was more like rugby. Post-game, many of the opposition who we knew from high school, stuck around for a party and a kegger or three. Of course, some courses were more difficult than others but there was no Football major and the accompanying 'gut' courses.

NIL? Every so often I was handed a free pitcher of draft beer at Will's Rustic Tavern. More often after hockey games where I played on very good teams and not football where I played on dogmeat teams. 

But I would not have traded the fun and the camaraderie with my teammates for anything. 

P5 football? An entirely different ball game and a big business at that. No program is paying a coach multi-millions of dollars for being kind to his players. People do not show up to watch to watch P5 football players flounder (except perhaps at Faber College) on the field. CU from averaging 17,000 fans a game has sold out its season ticket allotment. Deion or any other coach inheriting the roster he did and under today's rules, or lack thereof, would not attempt to turn chicken spit into chicken salad.

On the other hand, there are guys like J Smith who given the time can turn things around. But J Smith today is the unfortunate exception to the rule.

To reiterate, unlike guys cut in the NFL the CU players who were 'cut' can continue at CU with a full ride. This is a far better deal than most folks find when they are 'cut' in life. That does not make what Deion has done righteous but IMO it certainly eases the pain. 

image.thumb.gif.c5c8923d116099723753593c1f61c2b9.gif

• Thumbs Up 2