Charles Fischer

Canzano on New Media Deal: 'Waiting to Early Next Week'

In today's article, John Canzano asked someone who was in the room for the Pac-12 CEO meeting on Thursday. 

The source told him...

"Meeting was fine. I think we are pretty solid,” the person said. Waiting to early next week. League needs to deliver something soon and good. Excellent communication between ADs. Seems we are strongly committed to wait and see the deals.”

The issues with the deal?

“Just taking far too long,” the source said. “But the climate is terrible. And peers from other conferences are trying to take the league. Along with (Fox) trying to own it all. Not healthy.”

John reminded his readers...

I had a Pac-12 CEO Group source tell me two weeks ago “it will be worth the wait.” I don’t think the person was blowing smoke. But that ‘wait’ needs to end soon. How’s next week for everyone? Work for you? 

Fan vs. Washington_KC.jpg

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/29/2023 at 12:17 PM, Charles Fischer said:

The source told him...

"Meeting was fine. I think we are pretty solid,” the person said. Waiting to early next week. League needs to deliver something soon and good. Excellent communication between ADs. Seems we are strongly committed to wait and see the deals.”

I would like to emphasize here that Canzano is passing on what he heard. This may not happen on the time table we are thinking but what he has heard. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Was just on the Canzano site and the article is NOT behind a paywall today...Here it is in its entirety

Canzano: Things and thoughts for your Saturday

Pirates playing chess... big hearts, a $20 million insurance policy and more.

WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

Pirates playing chess... big hearts, a $20 million insurance policy and more.

Well it has become impossible for me to believe anything that any PAC President/Chancellor says.

They speak but say nothing.....

JC dropped the ball when the person in the CEO meeting said "Waiting to early next week"

Wouldnt the next questions from JC have been: Waiting for what early next week? Are the media contracts and final deals being presented early next week? What is happening early next week?

Now he may have asked and was told thats all he/she could say until early next week. JC could have shared if he had dug deeper.

The only true substance in the article is that its taking to long and needs to end real soon.

This person in the CEO meeting was not disclosing everything. Enough was said or not said about the deal/no deal that CU left the PAC....

The PAC leadership, along with bad timing has painted the PAC in a corner.

For this fan, Fox-FS1 lose me after the Natty game. They were willing to pony up their share of 31.7 million for each of 4-G5 schoold and a PAC bottom feeder CU. Steal the top market in the PAC foot print and then tell the PAC they had no money or wouldnt be interested going forward.

Maybe I am reading this wrong but i dont think so......

On 7/29/2023 at 12:44 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

JC could have shared if he had dug deeper.

From my own limited experience with player/coach/analyst interviews in the past....often you learn a TON in those interviews that you just cannot share with the audience.  Maybe they are waiting on some final approvals, or signatures or some last-minutes revisions to be answered, thus he cannot reveal that.

I have heard some juicy stuff that never saw the light of day, or I lost my source forever.  Only years later do I tell someone, and even then--it often turns out different, thus what I heard was accurate at that time, but events have obscured it, and thus it remains buried forever.  I am quite sure John hears a lot more than he can share.  (IMHO)

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

Until an actual contract is announced there is nothing more to discuss, except the continued exits of schools honest enough with themselves to admit that there is no there-there.

On 7/29/2023 at 1:42 PM, cartm25 said:

If Canzano knows way more than he’s allowed to say, then how come he keeps saying “in a week or two” and is always wrong.

Yep.  And now we are supposed to apologize the Big-12 Trolls who predicted umpteen times that Colorado was leaving...and it did not happen until now?

If a media deal is announced later this week--does that mean that Canzano is a liar for all those prior times...or right because of this time?

Mr. FishDuck

I don’t remember Canzano repeatedly saying the agreement will be signed in "in the next week or two."  Perhaps he quoted sources? This last article is the first that I remember Canzano quoting a hard deadline.

If I’m wrong how about some links to his statements. They are all on the web.