Annie

Power 5 Programs Playing at Group of 5 Venues in 2023

Oregon - 2024 - at Hawaii - makes sense for recruiting Pacific Islanders.

2024 - at Boise State/ 2028 - at Utah State. SENSELESS. You need to do a 2 for one to get Alabama once in Autzen I get it.  But to play at Boise and Utah St so you can get MW teams in Autzen twice makes IMO, no sense. Where is the financial and on-the-field benefit of this kind of scheduling? 

Too late to dump Texas Tech but not too late to dump Baylor and Ok St. Why give any additional pub to the B12 and basically play no-win games? Why give Fox an upgrade in B12 inventory? Games you are expected to win and are dissed nationally if you take the L. I saw no reason to schedule these teams, to begin with. What kind of tradition does OR have playing B12 schools? Other than Rob following the TX Tech AD as chair of the football playoff committee. 

With the PO going to 12 teams in 2024 and with the top 6 ranked conference champs in the field, Oregon needs a spotlight OOC game every season. The game 'at' UGA drew 6M+ eyeballs and even with the beat down Oregon, had Bo stayed healthy, had a great chance at the Final 4. A win in Lubbock would not have done more for Oregon than the loss in Atlanta. 

I don't expect the Pac-8 to smarten up but today, Oregon has to make smart, calculated moves to make an impact nationally and escape the nation's nonchalance when it comes to the northwest. The Oregon brand is strong but it will not sell itself. In many respects, I think Rob and the OR SID are missing in action. Where are the Joey Heisman billboards? And the promotion of basketball, men, and women both, is sorely lacking.  

With bonuses, Rob makes over $1M a year. No more excuses as to how difficult it is to sell teams on coming to Autzen; especially, when Wisconsin is playing in Pullman, Florida in SLC, and Auburn in Berkeley. Do the darn job!

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 3

Alabama on that list is a head scratcher.

So is Oklahoma at Tulsa???? 

• Thumbs Up 2

Not sure about the seating differential but I don't see Oregon State at San Jose State on the list.

image.gif.2e87021835feed59dce1a5ccb8d4d2ca.gif

On 7/31/2023 at 1:28 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Not sure about the seating differential but I don't see Oregon State at San Jose State on the list.

image.gif.2e87021835feed59dce1a5ccb8d4d2ca.gif

The seating differential will depend on whether they are still renovating half of reser stadium or not. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/31/2023 at 1:55 PM, David Marsh said:

The seating differential will depend on whether they are still renovating half of reser stadium or not. 

Seating capacity at Reser will be 35,548 for 2023.

SJSU stadium is currently holds 30,456. But, completion of their renovation is hoped for in August. After that I would expect it will be greater than Reser's current capacity.

• Applause 1

On 7/30/2023 at 9:55 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Where is the financial and on-the-field benefit of this kind of scheduling?

I know we give out pretty decent paychecks for FCS and Group 5 teams to come to Autzen.  I wonder if we get discounts or pay $0 for the opponent in this home and home scenario.  Gets us a free, higher quality opponent? 

I agree, I'd rather have a big name B1G, SEC, or ACC opponent, but I'm not sure we want 3 of them.  Just thinking out loud...

• Thumbs Up 2

I believe home and home there are no payouts.

• Thumbs Up 1