FishDuck Article

It’s Time to Take a Deep Breath – Oregon is Going to Be Fine

We are back in the midst of conference realignment with Colorado bolting for a home in the Big-12 and everyone is waiting for the next domino to fall. Will it be Oregon to the B1G or the Big 12, or does Oregon stay in the Pac-whatever? It honestly doesn’t matter; Oregon is going to be fine. How could I possibly ...

FISHDUCK.COM

We are back in the midst of conference realignment with Colorado bolting for a home in the Big-12 and everyone is waiting for the next...
  • Thanks 2
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

I totally agree with you David and have this whole process. The Ducks will be fine, loosing the LA schools is undoubtedly a financial blow, but the Ducks will continue to roll without them. However, not being able to butt whip them will be a blow to all our psyche for sure. Colorado quite frankly was a joke. Colorado State had more viewers last season. 

Football isn’t the only sport for the Ducks and I enjoy watching all of them. Not getting a natty in football is not worth, for me anyway, loosing these non revenue sports. 

I’m a traditionalist and loosing the pack would not set well at my dinner table.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/1/2023 at 7:08 AM, Just Ducky said:

I’m a traditionalist and loosing the pack would not set well at my dinner table.

I feel the same way in that regard for college sports. 

But I also know if Oregon moves it would be fine for the sports, I just wouldn't like it. 

We will also have to wait and see what this media deal has in it today. 

• Like 1

There has been a lot of talk about how potentially bad this media could be for the conference and Oregon.

Just a reminder... Oregon is going to be just fine. And we'll know more when they actually announce the real deal. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Another thing, this next step isn't the last step. The whole change thing which is happening in college football is maybe in the 2nd inning. There is plenty of bigger things which will happen soon enough to make this little stage seem trivial.

Much like the teenager in middle school who thinks its the end of the world, this is just one little part, painful, but it will also be laughable soon enough. 

We won't just be just fine. The times ahead are going to be even better than ever before, and no apocalypse.

images.jpeg

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I agree with your take David with one caveat. Oregon has to be the LEADER in however the Pac Conference shakes out. This means not settling for the same share, especially if the share is goosed by the # of subscribers and the number of viewers who watch given sporting events, as do 'partners' that invest far less in CFB and CBB and draw far fewer eyeballs. 

In unison from the Oregon Board of Trustees to the Oregon President and on-down Oregon sports has to be managed like a business and not a lemonade stand managed by clueless academicians who care more about the number of Noble Prize winners on campus, who undergraduates have no contact with, than they do about athletic success and the money that follows such success. Oregon cannot simply rubber-stamp senseless business decisions and non-decisions authored by an unqualified board of directors who oversee a commissioner with no prior college administrative experience.

George Kliavkoff is being paid $3,5M a year largely because of his business acumen and experience in doing broadcast agreements for MGM Sports. But of course, GK needed to hire a group of consultants, led by a gentleman by the name of Perlman, to help with media negotiations. My guess is that Mr. Perlman, et al, are not doing this pro bono. So, exactly what is the $3.5M return on investment? 

In summary, Oregon has to realize that it is The Big Duck in a smaller Pac-Whatever pond, that without Oregon the Beavers are building dams in the Mountain West, and that Oregon will not submit to lesser 'partners' unwilling and/or unable to compete at championship levels in the Moneyball sports. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm 100% with you on this Jon, as I usually am with your posts. However, the gloom and doom, the sky is falling posts I'm seeing all over are really starting to wear on me. I want the PAC to survive, I'm a traditionalist at heart.

Traditional in that I want the PAC to continue and thrive, but aware enough to know the landscape is shifting away from TV's with antennas, then away from cable, then away from satelite and now to streaming.  It pays to be at

the forefront of these things rather than lagging at the end. Sure, the first contract may be weak...but by the time we're ready to get the next contract done, the rest of the landscape will be working on catching up.

Despite Finebaum and the rest of the SEC/ESPN loudmouths broadcasting our demise with every useless breath they take (bc it's in their best interest), we're still recruiting at an incredibly high level. We still signed our coach

to a top 15ish deal, and he agreed to an almost unprecedented buyout.  We're still going to put an elite product on the field, and with our season only 30 days away, if you can't be excited about that then there really may be no

hope left for you...

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 8/2/2023 at 8:44 AM, Wrathis said:

However, the gloom and doom, the sky is falling posts I'm seeing all over are really starting to wear on me.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck