QuackAttack

How Much Did Booster Support Play in the B1G Decision?

It is pretty safe to say that UO is as much Nike U as it is Oregon. After hearing what the ASU alums were saying about canceling season tickets and financial contributions, how likely is it that Phil Knight laid down the law and put out an ultimatum to bolt, 50-50, 60-40? My guess is it's at least 75% and with less revenue from the media and if PK were to pull a bunch of money, that just wasn't going to happen.

I am guessing that our alumni overlords told Rob Mullens that they would underwrite the program to facilitate a shift to the Big 10 if the Pac media contract didn't pencil out.  Meaning, coaching salary & NIL increases, practice facility funds and, probably operational funds for team transportation to mitigate travel impacts.  

500px-Gm2h.jpg.cc3653dc545f17e1da0b39aee82fa26c.jpg

For Phil Knight access to the playoff was always key. I think if the PAC had a contract around 30mil he'd be fine with that. 

But the conference was being looted by the big-12 and USC didn't want Oregon in the B1G but couldn't vote yet... And that all put a timer on this window for Oregon. 

If the conference survived with 10 members and then expanded it could hold onto the position of giving Oregon a path to the playoff. 

But with a conference mostly composed of G5 teams it becomes far more difficult. Auto bids for conference champs isn't going to last. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 8/5/2023 at 9:52 AM, David Marsh said:

For Phil Knight access to the playoff was always key. I think if the PAC had a contract around 30mil he'd be fine with that.

Hmm, that sounds exactly like what John Canzano has been telling his audience. I like Canzano as a person and writer, and I think his radio segment is great during the hour his wife is with him, but the reality is he's not an Oregon Ducks fan.

Seems to me that Canzano has no real sources with the Ducks and the Blazers- the two biggest teams in the state by a wide margin. Ducks football even has a significant lead on the Blazers regarding fans in all metrics. 

Anyway, if you ask PK or Rob Mullens if a path to making the playoffs is important- they will answer "yes". However, Oregon and Washington 100% absolutely had to join the B1G at the next B1G media deal. The future is consolidating all the good teams into a few conferences because the media outfits won't pay for "tradition" and "regionality"- they just want numbers.

Let's not forget all the reports of Phil Knight begging the B1G to accept Oregon after USC & UCLA bolted. That is all you need to know.

On 8/5/2023 at 4:38 PM, 2002duck said:

Let's not forget all the reports of Phil Knight begging the B1G to accept Oregon after USC & UCLA bolted. That is all you need to know.

I would not describe those reports as begging as they were super vague. It sounded more like Knight was putting out feelers and trying to make sure a door was open for the Ducks when the time came. 

Keep in mind too that Knight is also a Stanford alum, though the Ducks are still his first love, but I don't think he wanted his second school to be lost in the PAC either. 

There was certainly patience from Oregon and Washington as they did seem genuinely interested in staying in the PAC if possible. 

Though i do believe there was a certain inevitability to the Ducks to the B1G I don't think it was anyone's first choice in clouding Knight. 

A weak but VIABLE PAC would have created a much easier road to the playoff in the next 5 years than going to the B1G. But if the PAC isn't viable then it wouldn't provide that path. The media deal that the PAC could get forced this decision. 

I agree with the decision but I'm not happy about it because of what it represents in what is lost for this change. But that's the way it is so I'll go with it because the alternative is not following college sports and I can't do that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm just some otherwise ordinary citizen, so what do I know? That said, I have a very hard time that Phil Knight and Oregon would not have immediately accepted a reduced share to join the B1G after UCLA and USC left. 

There was certainly no guarantee that the Ducks would be accepted to the BIG in 2031. FSU, NC, ND, etc. could have locked us out. Having an easier path to the playoffs for 5 years means nothing if you're in a lame duck conference at the end of that date. 

At our age, we wake up and 5 years has passed- you know what I mean? It's all about the future.

Edited by 2002duck

On 8/5/2023 at 8:07 PM, 2002duck said:

At our age, we wake up and 5 years has passed- you know what I mean? It's all about the future.

I tell my kids all the time, you snap your fingers and you've been out of college for 30 years, so appreciate your youth and realize that it goes quickly.

On 8/5/2023 at 5:42 PM, QuackAttack said:

it goes quickly.

If people want to play the "it's all about now" game, then I recommend following recruiting closely. Winning National Championships should be constant long term goals, and being top-10 or top-5 in recruiting rankings should be short term goals. 

Needless to say, I am a huge fan of tanking in the NBA. If you're a small market team like Portland or OKC, where zero free agents want to sign with or live in, then the draft and rare trades are the only way to go. The Oregon Ducks defy the geographical problem by having the best facilities and branding, and one could easily argue that giving up an easier path to the playoffs for a few years (only to end up in a conference that will be extinct) to go to the B1G now is akin to "tanking".