idontrollonshobbas

New Conference for Us...What are the Ripple Effects?

The first ripple effects mentioned where centered on those left behind, naturally.  We'll see how that sorts out moving forward.  Stanford/Cal feel like B1G adds, OSU/WSU feel like the Big12 to me.

In another thread that discussed the ACC's demise and the moving pieces likely to go to the super conferences, the U of Miami was left out of the discussion.  If that were to become reality, imagine the downward arc of MariØ since Herbert & Brady Breeze won the Rose Bowl....stunning.

On the other hand, what if this move is the catalyst that revives the Montlake Mutts by re-energizing the fanbase, namely the Tyee Club?   We may rue the day in that light.  I was hoping to close the lifetime W-L record with those mangy mongrels before they were resuscitated.  I am not sure that DeBoer is the guy to get them there, but after him, they will be able to attract a good one.

Hey, who knows, maybe "3 yards and a cloud of FieldTurf Pellets" Cristobal will be available then?

Edited by Smith72
capitalize titles

The biggest winner of the western 4 is Oregon. Biggest loser is UCLA with SC a close second.

Husky has to be able to recruit. I think the are 52nd in the 24 class. Thats not going to get it done in the B1G.

DeBore can coach, can he recruit. Mariø could recruit but couldn't coach a lick. Need both if you want to compete for B1G title and a shot at NC.

Oregon has a good, perhaps great one day, coach locked in for the long term. And the guy can recruit his backside off.

I truely believe this event will catapult Ducks into true Blue Blood status. Ducks will always be "new money". All the more sweeter. 

Go Ducks 

• Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

If being in the B1G helps the Dawgs, how much more will it help us!

We already out recruit them. Adding B1G territory will only strengthen that.

Biggest concern for me is travel, especially for all other sports. Even in the pro's, the team that travels the farthest often struggle.

With the way air travel has been of late, we could see lots of flight delays and long travel times.

If we don't already, best we buy a jet, or sign a deal with a private company to charter our teams.

The times, they are a changing.

I would LOVE  to win one more Pac12 championship.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/6/2023 at 10:18 AM, DanLduck said:

Biggest concern for me is travel, especially for all other sports.

Agree.  However, when the next BIG media deal takes effect, we will be in it for a full share and that tide will raise all sports.  Without the BIG money, the other sports would eventually suffer.

• Thumbs Up 1

The innovative minds along with deep pocket donors, Oregon will always be forward thinking. And with the coaching staff we have in place we'll always be a jump ahead of Washington.  Dan Lanning is brilliant coach.

The changes he's made for this year is a step up from last year.  Yes, or offensive side will score a boat load of points.  The biggest surprise will be on the defensive side as well as changes he's made in special teams.  I feel we all will be pleasantly surprised.  

Yes, Washington's coach is very good, but not the best recruiter.  We have an all around coach.  Again, he has a brilliant coaching mind who can enormously recruit nationally.  Being in the Big Ten will help Oregon's brand and fanbase grow. It will give Lanning all the tools he'll need to make Oregon great!

Again, it's not just the money, yes that is a good part of it.  But being in the Big Ten is also the visibility, the exposure and security.  Let's face it, that deal with Apple was not good.  Limited exposure, money not great, no security in the Pac-12.

The Pac-12 leadership have made so many costly mistakes for this conference thru the years, including this next deal.  It became shackles/dead weight for Oregon in money and exposure as well as security.  There was no way around it.  Both schools needed each other as a team to help make it happen.  This was the right move for both universities.

U. of Washington President on Big Ten Move: ’Not Just About Dollars and Cents’

“When you have a deal that people are saying that one of the best aspects are that you can get out of it in two years, that tells you a lot,” Cauce said, via ESPN’s Paolo Uggeti. “This was about national visibility for our players, being on linear TV so they can be seen, so they could have the national exposure. It was about stability. It was about having a future that we could count on and built towards.”

For months, the Pac-12 had been looking for a new TV home, most recently negotiating with Apple on a media rights deal while it seemed as though none of the major networks had any interest. Meanwhile, the Big Ten will broadcast games on CBS, NBC and Fox every Saturday beginning this season.

• Thumbs Up 1