Ktmguy2018

What About Coaches?

I would ask all of you to be patient with me as this new reality is setting in.  My brain is buzzing with all of the shifting and new ideas/thoughts pop into my head often.  It is very distracting to my work day (okay, that isn't so much but having the Wisconsin/Oregon Rose Bowl and Oregon/Kansas State Fiesta Bowl taking up one my screens certainly is).

Anyway, I had this though penetrate into the synapsees and thought I would toss it out there for debate and discussion: How does this move affect coaches longevity at the program?  

It has been discussed by multiple sports talk shows and "experts" that when a football coach leaves the Pac-12, he is usually leaving for a better opportunity.  An opportunity with greater recognition, risk/reward, etc.  Now Oregon happened to have two coaches (they will not be named) who left to return to their "dream jobs" in the past several years.  Chip Kelly left for an NFL opportunity, Mark Helfrich left because the mass x acceleration of the boot ejected him.  

When Dan Lanning was hired; there were many folks who wondered how long it would be before he would jump back to the SEC after having success at Oregon.  Some gave it three years, some gave it five years.  I HAVE to believe that this move to a conference considered to be the closest in talent to the SEC would certainly be a factor in keeping him as the Ducks head coach for the foreseeable future.  I get that assistants will leave for HC jobs or whatever but this move HAS to have an impact in coaching decisions.  

I would think of it as the best of several worlds.  You get to play in a powerhouse conference that has had representation in 6 out of 9 playoffs, and last year they got in two teams.  You get to live on the west coast.  You get MASSIVE recognition from recruiting sectors that you may not have had inroads to before.  You leave behind that mystique (right or wrong) of being in a "weaker" conference.

While I don't know DL and am not inside his head, I would think that he may feel he just hit a proverbial lottery!  

On a confessive side note, I do tend to peruse the musing of the unhappy folks of the school to the north and they are discussing this exact issue but from a much different perspective.  Why would Jonathan Smith stay?  What about the assistants that may no longer be at a Power-5 school, will they leave (apparently a couple already have).  

This DOES matter, I am thankful that we are on what seems to be the correct side of the divide.

• Thumbs Up 1

Lannings buyout, should he leave, is 20M. That's a lot for any team to pay to get a coach, regardless of how good he is.

While I wish the Pac could have stayed together, being part of the B1G will only help our football team.

Should also help all other teams.

Regarding long flights, perfect time for online classes, or even team meetings. 

Seeing us play B1G teams regularly, without having to wait for  Rosebowl, is a dream come true.

Great coaches building the PROGRUM...Click to see entire post

• Like 1

Hmmm. Looks like you almost have to have a beard to coach for this team.

Thanks for posting PD!

My last shave was in June, 1980. I doubt that qualifies me, so I have decided not to apply.

• Haha 1

I looked up some numbers re: how bad OSU and WSU joining the Mountain West might be.  Currently, the PAC-12 has a 250 million dollar media deal; OSU and WSU both get a bit under $21 million for that.  Currently, the Mountain West actually has a better media deal:  $270 million for 12 teams (not sure if media revenue is shared equally in that conference).  If they took OSU and WSU and allowed equal shares, that would give OSU and WSU over $19.25 million per year. 

Not much of a step down.  OSU reportedly took in a total of about $35 million in athletic department funding last year, so they have the capability to pull in quite a bit of extra money beyond media deals if boosters and athletic apparel sales keep up.  So, maybe it won't be nearly as catastrophic for them as most of us thought--maybe they will be able to continue to have a very good coaching staff and hold on to/continue to recruit good players.  But then, how hard will it be to attract very good players in a non Power 5 conference?

• Great post! 1

Sorry, I thought I was posting this in an earlier thread re: the fate of the remaining 4 PAC teams.

On 8/10/2023 at 2:47 PM, CountryProf said:

I looked up some numbers re: how bad OSU and WSU joining the Mountain West might be.  Currently, the PAC-12 has a 250 million dollar media deal; OSU and WSU both get a bit under $21 million for that.  Currently, the Mountain West actually has a better media deal:  $270 million for 12 teams (not sure if media revenue is shared equally in that conference).  If they took OSU and WSU and allowed equal shares, that would give OSU and WSU over $19.25 million per year.  Not much of a step down.  OSU reportedly took in a total of about $35 million in athletic department funding last year, so they have the capability to pull in quite a bit of extra money beyond media deals if boosters and athletic apparel sales keep up.  So, maybe it won't be nearly as catastrophic for them as most of us thought--maybe they will be able to continue to have a very good coaching staff and hold on to/continue to recruit good players.  But then, how hard will it be to attract very good players in a non Power 5 conference?

That $270mil is for the term of the deal. Payout is only $4-$6 million annually per school.

• Thumbs Up 1

That $270mil is for the term of the deal. Payout is only $4-$6 million annually per school.

Ouch.