Jon Joseph

SHOUT! The AP Poll is Out!

APNEWS.COM

The official page for the AP Top 25 college football poll, a tradition since 1936. Keep up to date and view the latest ranking updates each week.

The only poll that matters is the Playoff Committee's final poll. But of all the preseason polls, the AP Poll has the most clout before the first Playoff Committee ranking on 10/31/23 HAPPY HALLOWEEN! The AP rankings will be used prior to 10/31 to rank the teams playing and whether or not the ranking is justified in the long run. 

5 Pac-12 teams are ranked in the Top 25 with UCLA ranked 28. The Pac-12 in 2023 is ironically, as deep from top to bottom as it has ever been.

Oregon plays 4 ranked teams. 2 on the road at 10. UW and 14 Utah and 2 at home versus 6 USC and 18 Oregon State. And also plays at #26 Texas Tech which should be in the Top 25 when Oregon trips to Lubbock in week 2. 

Weeks 0 and 1 feature 5 Power 5 vs Power 5 games: 3. Ohio State at Indiana; 5. LSU vs. 8. FSU in Orlando, FL; 7. Penn State vs W VA; 12. Tennessee vs UVA, and 14. Utah vs. Florida.

If the ranking plays out in 2023 (bank on this not happening) the 2023 Playoff field:

Sugar Bowl - 1. Georgia vs 4. Alabama

Rose Bowl - 2. Michigan vs 3. Ohio State

Power 5 Conference Champ Games - 

ACC - Clemson vs FSU - these 2 meet in week 4, FSU at Clemson. FSU has lost the last 7 games at Clemson.

B1G - Michigan vs Wisconsin - Most likely the last season of B1G Divisions.

B12 - Texas vs  K St - then, Texas and Oklahoma will be off to the SEC rodeo.

Pac-12 - USC vs UW - Puddles may have a lot to say about this.

SEC - Georgia vs LSU - In the last season of SEC Divisions I think that LSU will win the West. 

2024 Playoff - What would the field look like with 5 automatic conference qualifiers (what Greg Sankey wants I believe he will get and the B1G will support, going from 5 to 6 automatic conference champ qualifiers) and 7 at-large (AL) teams? And with Oklahoma and Texas moving to the SEC and OREGON, UCLA, USC, and UW moving to the B1G?

1. Georgia - SEC - Bye

2. Michigan - B1G - Bye

3. FSU - ACC - Bye

4. Kansas State - B12 - Bye

[The above illustrates why I also believe in the likelihood of the top 4 ranked teams receiving the 1st round byes and not the top 4 ranked conference champions.]

12. Tulane (AAC) at 5. Ohio State

11. Washington at 6. Alabama

10. Clemson at 7. LSU

9. Penn State at 8. USC

Overrated and underrated IMO (FWIW) opinion.

Overrated - 2. Michigan/4. Alabama/ 6. USC/ 8. FSU/ 10. Washington/ 11. Texas/ 25. Iowa

Underrated - 3. Ohio State/ 5. LSU/ 9. Clemson/ 14. Utah/ 15. Oregon/ 18. Oregon State

Let The Games Begin!

• Thumbs Up 2

So...more proof of the new B1G being a Super-Conference, and perhaps the best one?  (Based on 2024 conferences)

SEC:  Eight teams ranked, No. 1, No. 4, No. 5, No. 11, No. 12, No. 20, No. 22, and No. 23 for a total of 98.

B1G: Eight teams ranked, No. 2, No. 3, No. 6, No. 7, No. 10, No. 15, No. 19, and No. 25 for a total of 87.

Lowest score wins, as the higher you are ranked--the lower the number.

New conference.jpg

The B1G has the higher ranking at the end of last year based on the 2024 conferences.

This will be quite interesting to watch over time...

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

SUC vs fuskies in the Delusion Bowl. Perfect! Expect UO vs Utah in the real thing.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

Oregon State football has best AP preseason ranking since 2001

Oregon State’s football team is starting the 2023 season where it left off in the 2022 Associated Press poll. 

The Beavers are No. 18 in the AP preseason poll, which was released Monday, after finishing 17th last season. 

This is the highest Oregon State has been ranked in the preseason AP poll since they were No. 11 to start the 2001 season.

WWW.REGISTERGUARD.COM

The Beavers have high expectations this season after going 10-3 last season
  • Applause 2

Saturday Down South Weighs In on the AP Poll. Love the Utes.

WWW.SATURDAYDOWNSOUTH.COM

There were some interesting developments in the first real poll of 2023.

No one loves the Utes more than me, and love being the “underdog” but not sure I feel like 14 is too low at this point.  

Remember that Rising is only 7 months out from ACL surgery and they are hedging on whether he will be ready for FL.   Also QB2 sent a cryptic tweet out a few days ago thanking everyone for the help and is happy that he will make a full recovery???  Utah is notoriously slow starting in their first game so they could be 0-1 and unranked in no time.

Secondary is still a big question mark.  O-line unknown….lots of things to worry about.

I think the Ducks are better than 15 and seriously can’t believe Clemson is in the top 10.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/14/2023 at 2:42 PM, Goutes18 said:

No one loves the Utes more than me, and love being the “underdog” but not sure I feel like 14 is too low at this point.  

Remember that Rising is only 7 months out from ACL surgery and they are hedging on whether he will be ready for FL.   Also QB2 sent a cryptic tweet out a few days ago thanking everyone for the help and is happy that he will make a full recovery???  Utah is notoriously slow starting in their first game so they could be 0-1 and unranked in no time.

Secondary is still a big question mark.  O-line unknown….lots of things to worry about.

I think the Ducks are better than 15 and seriously can’t believe Clemson is in the top 10.

Opening against Florida and then playing at Baylor is gutsy. But playoff smart? 

Except for October 28th and perhaps, the champ game in Las Vegas, best to the Utes in 2023.

I find it more difficult to believe that FSU is in the top 10 and ranked ahead of Clemson. I think FSU drops the opener against LSU and then takes the loss at Clemson in Week 4. If I am right, FSU is out of the Final 4 at the close of Week 4. 

In a 'down year,' Clemson still won the ACC title. It will be interesting to see if Lincoln Riley's little brother can goose the offense to the levels prior to the arrival of DJU. 

Great take. Except on October 28 and a possible Champ Game meeting, best of luck to the Utes in 2023. Beat SC and UW!

I find it far more difficult to believe that FSU (this season's 2022 A+M) is ranked ahead of Clemson. I think FSU drops the opener vs LSU, suffers a loss at Clemson in Week 4, and is out of the Final 4 at the end of Week 4.

AP Top 25 Poll reactions: Alabama, Tennessee overrated, Oregon underrated in preseason rankings

This might come as shocking news, but the two-time reigning national champion Georgia was voted No. 1 in the preseason AP Top 25, which was released Monday. The Bulldogs received 60 of 63 first-place votes and 1,572 overall points in the poll of record in college football.

The Michigan Wolverines, fresh off of their second-straight College Football Playoff appearance, chimed in at No. 2. They received 1,490 overall points and two first-place votes. Rival Ohio State garnered the other first place vote and came in at No. 3. Alabama and LSU rounded out the top five, respectively. 

USC, Penn State, Florida State, Clemson and Washington made up the rest of the the top 10. The SEC landed the most teams in the poll with six teams. The Pac-12 and Big Ten close behind with five.

The release of the AP Top 25 always sparks conversation. The poll either confirms or contradicts narratives that have dominated the offseason, and gets fans across the country ready for Week 1 matchups that should set the landscape for a three-month sprint to the CFP. 

Which teams are overrated? Which teams are underrated? Let's slice and dice the poll and examine where the voters missed the mark.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

AP voters may also be underestimating LSU in Brian Kelly's second year

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thank you, PA for the post. And thank you, Auburn graduate, Barrett Salle for echoing a few of my amateur Over and Underrated thoughts.

I have no idea why Puddles is flying so far under the national radar. But I share Charles's thoughts on liking flying under the radar before soaring upward. It's not how you start, it's how you finish.

I totally concur with Barrett's thoughts on LSU. Yes, Bama lost 2 games on the last play of the game last season but without Bryce Young, now playing for the Panthers, Bama could have lost 6 games in 2022. Daniels IMO is the best SEC QB headed into the season and I expect LSU will take down overrated FSU and its overrated QB, in the opening game.

image.gif.31157e47fa2760e41e0979fedbf4bfa0.gif

Again, these things are always SO based on LAST YEAR.  Final top 25 won't be anything like this.  What's the word on the Utah QB and the ACL?  They lost a lot to NFL/Graduation.  I think Utah is over-rated especially if mustache-QB guy is out for a while

• Thumbs Up 1

The hype machine is in full effect around USC. They have Riley and a Heisman quarterback. 

It's been trendy for some time to pick the Ducks low. 

But... We'll see Trojan, Ute, Husky and Beaver tears very soon. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/14/2023 at 12:30 PM, cartm25 said:

That's a bit high I think, there is no way I would go that high considering the way we looked on defense last year, no.`8-10 I could see, I think we're more in that 12 range a bit higher than 15 but not that much of a leap.  

The USC love is just so disgusting, it's a team that had an insane turnover margin that will most likely be at least halved, and it's still the same coordinator that hasn't had a legit defense in years.  This is all with the easiest schedule that there was for conference play last year.

On 8/14/2023 at 1:50 PM, Charles Fischer said:

So...more proof of the new B1G being a Super-Conference, and perhaps the best one?  (Based on 2024 conferences)

SEC:  Eight teams ranked, No. 1, No. 4, No. 5, No. 11, No. 12, No. 20, No. 22, and No. 23 for a total of 98.

B1G: Eight teams ranked, No. 2, No. 3, No. 6, No. 7, No. 10, No. 15, No. 19, and No. 25 for a total of 87.

Lowest score wins, as the higher you are ranked--the lower the number.

New conference.jpg

The B1G has the higher ranking at the end of last year based on the 2024 conferences.

This will be quite interesting to watch over time...

Charles, one more futuristic take prompted by your great B1G post.

The Power 2 Playoff -

B1G Bracket -

8. A+M at 1. Michigan

5. Tennesse at 4. Penn State

7. Ole Miss at 2. Ohio State

6. Oklahoma at 3. USC

SEC Bracket

8. Iowa at 1. Georgia

5. Washington at 4. Texas

7. Wisconsin at 2. Alabama

6. OREGON at 3. LSU

Missing? Previous playoff teams Clemson and Notre Dame. But I expect that Notre Dame with end up in the B1G (20), along with North Carolina. Clemson and FSU will end up in the SEC (20.) With these 4 in the B1G/SEC fold, what team is missing that has a real shot at a Playoff title?

Prior to Nix's injury, Oregon was simply unstoppable on offense last year after the Georgia game.  There's a strong argument that they could have returned to the playoff over TCU had they run the table.  Oregon State may be the only team to field a defense in the PAC12 this year to slow down Oregon and we get them at home.  Ducks will see the most upside on defense this year and hopefully it will lead to just enough stops.

The conference will be brutal this year, and I don't think anyone finishes unbeaten.  However, if anyone can run the table, it will be Oregon for the first time since 2010 (the only time it's ever occurred in the nine game format).

Wow - so much rich history for this conference.  The fall of the PAC12 is such a tragedy!  Let's leave a lasting statement on who owned the conference when we all left.

• Go Ducks! 1

On 8/14/2023 at 3:38 PM, JDuck said:

Again, these things are always SO based on LAST YEAR.  Final top 25 won't be anything like this.  What's the word on the Utah QB and the ACL?  They lost a lot to NFL/Graduation.  I think Utah is over-rated especially if mustache-QB guy is out for a while

Great thoughts. Yet, history tells us that there will be change by season's end but at least 3 tip 10 teams will be in the playoff. And last season 2L Bama should have been in instead of TCU. And this season's17 ranked TCU and no other B12 team ranked or not, will this season and in the future win a football title over an SEC/B1G team. 

Look at the AP Top 25. What teams outside of the B1G (18) and the SEC (16) would have a shot at a title in a 12-team playoff coming in 2024?

8. FSU perhaps but the Seminoles will end up in the SEC.

9. Clemson, of course. But this is another team headed for the SEC.

And I think that 13. Notre Dame and 21. UNC will be B1G (20) teams.

So, 14. Utah? Utah has dropped the last 2 Rose Bowl games to Ohio State and Penn State. Utah is not going to win a CFB Playoff. 16. K State? Res Ipsa Loquitur. 17. TCU - see above. (And while A+M could not keep Texas out of the SEC, A+M, Texas, and Oklahoma can definitely keep TCU out of the SEC.) Tulane? Are you CFB Champ insane?

This is not CBB where you can assemble 10 or so guys with a star player or two in the mix and contend for championships. The only reason to let the 'little guy' into a 12-team playoff is to keep the lawyers off of the B1G boys' and SEC boys' backs. 

Come 2026, with the proper payout (off?) to conferences outside of the Power 2, there is no competitive reason not to have a P2 Playoff. How many 4* and 5* recruits and transfers will head for schools that are not in the Power 2? This is a rhetorical question.

image.thumb.gif.dd3fc2041ca515b510ba4b47f88ebea2.gif

Are the Ducks being underrated going into the 2023 season?

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The Ducks are ranked No. 15 in many of the major polls going into 2023, but expectations in Eugene are higher than that.

Overrated/Underrated: Pac-12 Edition

We move oh so dangerously close (r) to the start of the college football season today. One of the next great signals is the debut of the preseason AP Top 25 released earlier today.

Last week the USA Today coaches poll was released. While I personally don’t have a vote, which is really a detriment to the polls, I do have opinions on where some of these teams are being ranked. So I’ll just write about it here.

Let’s start with a look at the Pac-12 teams ranked in the two major polls and whether I think they are underrated or overrated.

WWW.ON3.COM

The AP and coaches polls have five Pac-12 teams ranked in the top 20. Here is my take on which are underrated and overrated.

• Like 1

Ranked Teams, Beware!

FANSIDED.COM

The preseason college football rankings have been set with the AP Top 25 announced. Which ranked teams will be the first to lose this season? The AP Top 25...

Fansided AP Poll winners and losers. This just in. SC ranked at 6 and Utah ranked at 14 does not matter. The 2 play one another at least once in 2023. And while the game is in LA, the Utes get the Trojans coming off a game in South Bend. Utah will be coming off a home game vs Cal.

FANSIDED.COM

Let's dissect the winners and losers from college football's first AP Top 25 Poll of the season. With the AP Top 25 Poll being released on Monday...

Edited by Jon Joseph

You just made the list buddy!

3 teams outside of the top initial Top 25 that the author believes will finish in the Top 25.

Texas Tech is his #1 team to crash the party. And why not, with TT currently ranked 26? TT takes care of business in its opener in Laramie, and there is a good likelihood that the Red Raiders will be in the Top 25 when Puddles flies into Lubbock.

FANSIDED.COM

The latest college football rankings shorted these teams in the initial AP Top 25 Poll big time. With the first AP Top 25 Poll released on Monday afternoon...

image.gif.6e09782b4dff6dd519ef147834b9027b.gif

Below is, hopefully, a non-paywall article from ESPN looking at the opponents the Top 25 teams play in September. 

WWW.ESPN.COM

What will the first month of the college football season teach us about each team in the preseason AP Top 25 poll?

On 8/15/2023 at 11:57 AM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Overrated/Underrated: Pac-12 Edition

We move oh so dangerously close (r) to the start of the college football season today. One of the next great signals is the debut of the preseason AP Top 25 released earlier today.

Last week the USA Today coaches poll was released. While I personally don’t have a vote, which is really a detriment to the polls, I do have opinions on where some of these teams are being ranked. So I’ll just write about it here.

Let’s start with a look at the Pac-12 teams ranked in the two major polls and whether I think they are underrated or overrated.

I do agree with Justin Hopkins on his observations with the five schools in the Pac-12.  With a healthy Bo Nix, offensive fire power will be tops.  The X-factor will be a much improved defense.

Oregon: Underrated

AP: 15

Coaches: 15

Well if I haven’t gone full-homer by now I might as well leave no doubt. Look, Oregon is as good as any team in the top ten not named Georgia. But they will only go as far as the defense will take them. I think it will be better. And they have the bodies and depth to be physical at the point of attack. And while nobody has a JV schedule like Georgia, but Oregon’s a bit more favorable with 2 of its 4 toughest games at home. (USC and OSU)

ESPN ended negotiations with Pac-12 in 2022 after demand for $50 million per schoolSimmons Scoop: Auburn, Ohio State and Texas A&M trending for targets committing this weekend
  • Applause 1

On 8/16/2023 at 1:12 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

ESPN+ (paywall) updated Top 40 2024 recruiting rankings as of 8/17/23

1. Georgia

2. Ohio State

3. Florida

4. OREGON! - Top O commit - QB Michael Van Buren (No. 23)

Top D commit - Dakota (Out Here In The) Fields (No. 75)

7. Michigan

8. Penn State - leads the 2023 Freaks list with 6 players - legit dark horse to win the B1G in 2023 with getting nemesis Michigan in Happy Valley

18. USC - Traveler, don't hurt your neck looking up.

23. Wisconsin

25. Nebraska

30. Rutgers

31. Purdue

34. Iowa

35. Minnesota 

37. Maryland

Chipper? Husky?

Brutus will be extremely hard to catch on the recruiting trail. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/17/2023 at 4:11 PM, Jon Joseph said:

ESPN+ (paywall) updated Top 40 2024 recruiting rankings as of 8/17/23

1. Georgia

2. Ohio State

3. Florida

4. OREGON! - Top O commit - QB Michael Van Buren (No. 23)

Top D commit - Dakota (Out Here In The) Fields (No. 75)

7. Michigan

8. Penn State - leads the 2023 Freaks list with 6 players - legit dark horse to win the B1G in 2023 with getting nemesis Michigan in Happy Valley

18. USC - Traveler, don't hurt your neck looking up.

23. Wisconsin

25. Nebraska

30. Rutgers

31. Purdue

34. Iowa

35. Minnesota 

37. Maryland

Chipper? Husky?

Brutus will be extremely hard to catch on the recruiting trail. 

And, on the field.

SATURDAYTRADITION.COM

ESPN's FPI is predicting a final record for Ohio State this fall.