Charles Fischer

'Oregon Most Underrated Team in Top 25,' Says Josh Pate

This is only a minute and a half, and a fun listen.  I like how he "gets it" concerning the offensive and defensive line, and I take it a notch further to assert we will see a big step up on defense this year.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

"Bo Nix is undervalued still, and both sides of the LOS are undervalued."

• Applause 3

Mr. FishDuck

JP is not alone in his assessment.  From Barrett Sallee:

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The Ducks are ranked No. 15 in many of the major polls going into 2023, but expectations in Eugene are higher than that.

So which subset of people is wrong? Are Oregon fans way too confident in their team going forward, or is the national media underrating the Ducks so far? According to CBS reporter Barrett Sallee, the latter is true.

The Ducks at No. 15 is very strange. I had them at No. 6 in my preseason ballot for the CBS Sports 133 because of a dynamic quarterback in Bo Nix, a two-headed monster at running back and a tough and an experienced front seven. Simply put, the Ducks have the perfect recipe to make a CFP run. They should be able to put up 40 points on a regular basis and have the firepower on defense to force enough stops to be considered the Pac-12 favorite.

From Justin Hopkins:

WWW.ON3.COM

The AP and coaches polls have five Pac-12 teams ranked in the top 20. Here is my take on which are underrated and overrated.

Oregon: Underrated

AP: 15

Coaches: 15

Well if I haven’t gone full-homer by now I might as well leave no doubt. Look, Oregon is as good as any team in the top ten not named Georgia. But they will only go as far as the defense will take them. I think it will be better. And they have the bodies and depth to be physical at the point of attack. And while nobody has a JV schedule like Georgia, but Oregon’s a bit more favorable with 2 of its 4 toughest games at home. (USC and OSU)

Justin Hopkins says USC and Washington are overrated.  J.D. Pickell has Oregon vs USC for Pac-12 championship, but picking USC over the Ducks (Boo, Hiss!! Oregon will prevail!!!).  Again, I am so glad I will be attending the USC game in Autzen.  Go Ducks!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1

For more about what Pate thinks is best case and worst case for Oregon...I have the video qued up to 48:04 already for you.

"I'm telling you if the best case happens....there is an undefeated regular season for them."

• Great post! 1
  • Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

Barrett Sallee (Auburn graduate) of CBS Sports agrees. Sallee has Oregon ranked 6 in his initial AP Poll vote. A guy from 'back East' IMO has a better handle on the Pac-12 this season than does Jon Wilner who has Oregon ranked 17. 

He doesn't 'get' Oregon's ranking with Bo Nix back. Sallee believes Oregon will put up 40+ points a game, and he also believes that via the transfer portal and experience, Oregon will be improved on defense. 

He also believes, as do I, that Florida State is way overrated and that Alabama, and Texas (shocking!) are also overrated. 

Let's tee it up and prove it on the field!

NJ, you beat an old man to the punch! With a better and more specific post. Thank you!

image.thumb.gif.d425c0f1aa269123fe9d8ce017472fec.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

And Barrett Sallee is also loving the Pac-12 in its final go-round.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

The SEC is loaded with teams ready to make a run at the College Football Playoff National Championship

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/18/2023 at 8:03 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Barrett Sallee (Auburn graduate) of CBS Sports agrees. Sallee has Oregon ranked 6 in his initial AP Poll vote. A guy from 'back East' IMO has a better handle on the Pac-12 this season than does Jon Wilner who has Oregon ranked 17. 

He doesn't 'get' Oregon's ranking with Bo Nix back. Sallee believes Oregon will put up 40+ points a game, and he also believes that via the transfer portal and experience, Oregon will be improved on defense. 

He also believes, as do I, that Florida State is way overrated and that Alabama, and Texas (shocking!) are also overrated. 

Let's tee it up and prove it on the field!

Yes, prove it on the field!

Preseason hype means very little. It's fun of course, and we're all excited, but there will be "bumps in the road" this season, just like every season, and how the Ducks (and coaches) handle those bumps will determine if Oregon can be in the playoff race.

• Applause 1

On 8/18/2023 at 8:02 AM, Charles Fischer said:

For more about what Pate thinks is best case and worst case for Oregon...I have the video qued up to 48:04 already for you.

"I'm telling you if the best case happens....there is an undefeated regular season for them."

The thing is that Oregon has the talent and hopefully the coaching takes a significant jump this year that undefeated is completely possible. 

Now will everything fall in place and it happens? Different story. 

• Let’s hope! 1